Alcatel OT 355 - user opinions and reviews

Alcatel

7.5
7.4
7.4

Does anyone KNOW how to access the loud speaker when receiving a call? It's easy to select when making a call, but a whole different "ballgame" when you get an incoming call, there's no option to go handsfree! :(

• 2013-11-02 09:54
  • tRmN

> In reply to nas @ 2012-05-05 02:02 from nC1I - click to readWhat is network key for OT355

• 2013-09-05 09:05
  • NugV

Some quick info:

*I’ve owned this phone for over a year
*I am very technology-adept
*I hate being ripped off

I bought my Alcatel OT-355 slightly over 1 year ago. It looks nothing like the picture depicted on this website (a simple image search will yield the correct model).

Features:
* QWERTY Keyboard

Pros:
1) Features a ‘shortcut’ ability where you can press the Function key along with a set variable key which will allow you to quickly jump to a particular menu option. For example, I’ve set Function+C to automatically bring up the phone’s calculator.
2) Decent overall design.

Cons:
1) Extremely low default memory (without memory card).
2) Moderate to extremely slow loading; this ranges from pictures taking 1-2 seconds (per picture) to propagate. This means if you have taken, say, 10 pictures on your phone, simply trying to open the picture folder “Media album” will force you to wait ~10 seconds to even view the picture’s thumbnails, during which time the phone will be semi-locked.
3) You cannot add your own folders for organisation. For example, you cannot separate your message Inbox or customise it in any way. The phone will automatically separate your Inbox based on the sender of the message, however if you choose to clear out any particular folder, the phone will instead Delete EVERY message on the phone – extremely counter-intuitive.
4) The interface looks extremely simplistic and this is not a good thing. Many options are difficult to find (for example, viewing the phone’s memory is found via the “Media album”).
5) This phone (like so many others) CAN manage to make accidental button-presses, although it does have an auto-lock feature. I’ve managed to send an accidental blank text message with only 2 button presses (something I can not even imagine how to recreate).

Conclusion: I had a piece of crap phone before this, but when that is compared to the Alcatel OT-355, it looks like some kind of marvel of engineering. The Alcatel OT-355 may LOOK like it’s a more modern phone, however the slow loading time, the crappy UI (User Interface), and the counter-intuitive menu options make it quite clear that the Alcatel OT-355 is a pile of garbage in a slightly pretty casing.

I would not recommend getting this phone. I know it may be cheap – and I cannot recommend what to get – but please just don’t buy this phone. I hate being ripped off, and this phone is definitely a rip off. The only type of person I can see enjoying this phone would be a younger child or adult who knows nothing about technology, however getting them such a bad piece of software engineering really ought to make you feel a bit guilty… so reserve this phone for your enemies.

• 2013-02-04 03:12
  • m5hL

Great phone, but I have a few issues. How do you set a template and how do i tell the phone to go to voicemail on no reply. Also how do the smiley's work.

• 2012-07-18 10:18
  • mA4Z

Mine is an alcatel ot355 carbon and looks nothing like the phone pictured it has a qwerty keyboard for a start...

Annete

• 2012-06-06 13:30
  • nF1i

I have one of these - every single mp3 track i loaded on to the micro sd card is found - but every single one comes up with format error - any ideas?

Annette

• 2012-06-06 13:18
  • nF1i

how to unlock service provider code(2004 model alcatel ot355) imei 354377005634260 when insert sim card requerd spck code ?{under tha battery cover oh2 tcl &alcatel mobilphones OH218 -1ABINL2}if u know answer the question.. pis help me thanks.

• 2012-05-05 02:02
  • nC1I

> In reply to anna606 @ 2012-03-29 17:24 from MSRn - click to readHi, Already reply to U see jojo...It's ok, try it...

• 2012-05-01 10:34
  • fu0u

> In reply to anna606 @ 2012-03-29 17:24 from MSRn - click to readI feel unset, the solution to that guy's problem can't reach him for free..Anyway thanks for services..jojo

• 2012-04-29 17:20
  • fu0u

> In reply to anna606 @ 2012-03-29 17:24 from MSRn - click to readHi there, To set date an time on OT355... It's so simple guy, Find the key FN on keyboard of your mob...Press it ! U will find some usefull keys...And for Time Date U only have to press hold while U pres Q thence release firstly key Q and then FN key...Hope friend U"ll get...Bye for now..jojo

• 2012-04-29 16:57
  • fu0u

> In reply to Keith @ 2012-02-21 17:35 from nxDD - click to readt mobile are just the network, best people to ask are alcatel themselves... hope u got it sorted

• 2012-03-29 22:57
  • 3J4H

Anyone know where to get a decent English instruction manual for Alcatel OT-355 instead of the tiny one supplied with the phone? I can't even change the time!!

• 2012-03-29 17:24
  • MSRn

My first mobile phone - great price and would be good value for money BUT I cannot read the small print of the manual supplied without a magnifying glass. This abridged manual assumes prior knowledge about things and many options are going to denied because of the abyssmally poor documentation. I rang t-mobile for help in getting a full manual which proved pointless because after 15 minutes or so getting the phone to work the operator cut me off. If you are new to mobile phones do not buy one of these.

• 2012-02-21 17:35
  • nxDD

How can I add accents to my messages?

• 2012-01-11 04:42
  • LC7b

> In reply to Anonymous @ 2011-10-20 13:14 from nF8h - click to readI had same problem.
Go to Messages - SMS Chat and there are your text messages.
Just use up down to highlight and read.

• 2012-01-03 22:53
  • mXPi

Radio & MP3 playing are really very good (& good headphones (a first!) but non-standard connector is bad). Email works too but hampered by tiny screen and ugly font that could have been smaller. Web browsing takes 30 seconds to load even the smallest page, def. for emergencies only!
Keys a bit stiff but won't activate accidentally. Lack of cut and paste or any movement keys other than up/down/left/right a pain: really with a whole keyboard it should be possible to provide page up/down, copy/paste, etc.
Radio won't work in flight mode (why?), and email vanishes from phone's menu system in flight mode so you can't even see existing messages or draft new ones! Fix: program a softkey to access email.
Instructions are too skimpy and printed in microscopic 4pt text and the user manual on Alcatel's site is just the same leaflet in PDF format! Eventually I got most stuff set up but some menus I still have no idea what they are for. What is "dial nb." for instance? What is the "phone code" used for? etc. Camera: I discovered by chance that there is a settings menu if you press left softkey whilst in viewfinder mode, then keep pressing navi-right for a whole set of camera options menus.
Overall great value for £20 but more usability and full documentation surely wouldn't have added much to the cost!

• 2011-11-30 04:09
  • 2KId

> In reply to Anonymous @ 2011-11-05 17:14 from 9xre - click to readI bought the OT355 because of the music player. There were no instructions with it but eventually I cracked it. You can download MP3 files, or (what I wanted) convert tracks from CD collection using Windows Media Player to transfer them to MP3 files directly on to a micro SDcard then on to the Alcatel by inserting the card into the slot and selecting Update Music. The Windows process involves inserting a CD, right clicking Rip Music to select Options from the Tools menu, selecting MP3 format and file destination with the folder you would like to see on the OT355 player.
By the way you can see the CD to MP3
process on a Youtube video

• 2011-11-11 17:17
  • pY{X

> In reply to krrish396 @ 2011-07-02 21:38 from H5Jb - click to readDid you learn how to get music on the phone? I placed mp3s on a 4 gig micro sd card in a few different directories (various "audio/music") and the phone recognizes the card and shows how much free space is available, but will not show the music file.

• 2011-11-05 17:14
  • 9xre

> In reply to superdupermobileuser @ 2011-09-10 19:12 from HCHr - click to readPlease can someone detail the steps needed to get to your SMS inbox on an Alcatel OT-355 mobile? I've just bought the phone and cannot for the life of me find the inbox!! Looks from some other posts here that it may not be straightforward. Please could someone also post instructions on how to move the inbox to the home screen?

MAny thanks

• 2011-10-20 13:14
  • nF8h

I really like it! I'm a text addict so great with Virgin Mobile and I enjoy texting with it! Also, the internet, which some say is slow, is actually really good! Only problem is the lack of Bluetooth, as there are songs I'd really like from my brother's phone that I can't get because there is no Bluetooth.

• 2011-10-14 19:48
  • myCb
Total of 71 user reviews and opinions for Alcatel OT 355.