Alcatel OT-983 - user opinions and reviews

Alcatel

5.6
5.9
5.6

can anyone updated alcatel ot 983 2.3.7 ? I want to update my alcatel 2.3.7 to 2.3.1 or higher !

• 2014-02-27 23:31
  • t7Xh

> In reply to John Collin @ 2013-07-21 20:00 from mAnZ - click to readWhat the HECK are you talking about, John.

You quite clearly cannot have tested mobile phones at all. This phone has, very nearly, the STOCK Google/Android 2.3.7 ROM installed, with very few modifications; that's better than nearly every other manufacturer for the minimising of both bloatware and additional gubbins that nobody needs.

As for the supposed addons, a) you can get free ones quite easily via Google Play and b) Google themselves had not put any of those options you moan about in Android 2.3.7. Many came in further revisions or were added onto the stock ROMs by other manufacturers (Sony, HTC, etc.) using their own applications. It's just like an Nvidia/AMD Radeon graphics card, Nvidia make the card, sort out the software and then other companies build upon it, tweak it and add their own software; so stop bashing the phone or manufacturer, esp. given the price to performance ratio.

1GHz, reasonable battery, quite decent WIFI+hotspot capability, 3-axis accelerometer, bluetooth, OPENGL graphics rendering, magnetic field + orientation + proximity + light sensors, microSD expansion =VS= only 397MB RAM, Broadcom processor-limited ARMv6 and no native flash support (can use Skyfire Web Browser/similar [see Google Play] to get around this) ALL FOR UNDER £40 is quite a deal, IMHO.

Rant over. Get your facts right, man. That Blackberry is currently £97 more (including top-up) at EE right now. ARE YOU INSANE!?! Pay

• 2014-01-18 22:41
  • pK2I

> In reply to apollocreed @ 2013-09-10 16:56 from pwHD - click to readYah, that's Virgin for ya.

• 2014-01-18 22:10
  • pK2I

> In reply to apollocreed @ 2013-09-10 16:56 from pwHD - click to readThat's not true - reset back to factory settings by holding down Vol down+Power (might be Vol up+Power, can't remember, but try both). Then connect via your usb cable and delete everything normally (not hidden) visible in the phone and sd card. This gets rid of some of the app packs, such as Facebook and Twitter, which can't otherwise be uninstalled.

• 2014-01-18 22:09
  • pK2I

> In reply to Anonymous @ 2013-10-21 16:13 from sm09 - click to readNooooooooooooooooooo, what are you doing?!? Never return it to the EE shop, they send your phone for repair only and send you the same one back. Phone 450 and do it that way, they actually replace the phone (minus the back case and battery) for a new one the next day in person via collection from your house. Ay, ay, ay...

• 2014-01-18 22:05
  • pK2I

> In reply to nellyswags @ 2013-11-23 11:03 from N7IJ - click to readWait, you dream about mobile phones? What is this, the Matrix?

• 2014-01-18 22:02
  • pK2I

> In reply to Signal-less @ 2013-11-28 10:43 from nFa7 - click to readPiffle, activate '3G only' under Wireless & Networks > Mobile Networks.

• 2014-01-18 22:00
  • pK2I

> In reply to Anonymous @ 2013-12-21 12:07 from nHUx - click to readWhy, oh why, did you bother rooting it for then? Stop complaining about your mistakes. It's not the phone's fault at all, especially given the price and the lack of ROM/rooting guidance generated by the rest of the tech wizards that must have purchased the 983.

• 2014-01-18 21:58
  • pK2I

Brilliant little phone; but needs someone to make a stock ROM for rooting, please!

• 2014-01-18 21:55
  • pK2I

This phone is okay, I updated it, rooted it, wiped it. And it got stuck on the set up wizard. I found away around it by installing a third-party launcher however; the home&search button will not work and it wont receive calls. :-( it opens apps almost as soon as you click them which is a good feature however, if the app is not in memory it'll take long. I'm upgrading to a S3 MINI soon so it's okay for now.

• 2013-12-21 12:07
  • nHUx

what rubbish is this. cant access my accounts cant do anything much at all. back to the shop with this thing. eilene

• 2013-12-19 15:18
  • HC1R

I bought an Alcatel One Touch and found I had no signal in my house (always had a good signal with my Nokia) or practically anywhere else. "Emergency numbers only" is what the phone tells me. Carphone Warehouse sent it back to Alcatel who provided a new phone. Still no signal anywhere! Is this phone fit for purpose?

• 2013-11-28 10:43
  • nFa7

> In reply to chavsta @ 2013-09-18 18:23 from 9yM$ - click to readI was wondering if I could use the Sim from this devise in a smart phone when I upgrade ?

• 2013-11-27 07:05
  • 4Kf9

wat a Fone very flashy but its contents are rubbish I can't receive messages,each time I enter am app it shows me had stopped unexpectedly force close,even wen my msg inbox is empty am really disappointed,inactive 3g e.t.c dis Fone s a mess nonsense gonna change it as soon as possible to join better android packages like dy tecno p5 I would nver use an alcatel Fone again even in my wildest dreams.

• 2013-11-23 11:03
  • N7IJ

Bought the phone in Feb'13 online through Orange. June'13 had to take it to EE shop to be sent away for repair as it switched itself off and couldn't switch it back on again, I month for repair and return. Oct'13 the same has happened again.If it takes another month to repair 2 months out of 8 in repair shop. Can I trust this phone is it a "rogue phone"?

• 2013-10-21 16:13
  • sm09

This phone is absolutely amazing :) I recently sold in a Galaxy Ace and this is such a little moneysaver, better than the Ace too :) Ultra responsive, fast and great sound quality, only little niggle is that speakerphone and ringing tones are quiet but well worth the asking price any day! Highly recommended :)

• 2013-09-21 18:47
  • dT$L

I bought this phone 6 months ago and overall, i am quite happy with it. The app store is easy to use and the phone is very easy to get used too, it has very nice touch buttons which function very well and the camera was better than i expected. I am very experience3d with this phone and i know all the hints and tricks, so if anyone has any questions, please leave a response, Thanks

• 2013-09-18 18:23
  • 9yM$

> In reply to apollocreed @ 2013-09-10 16:56 from pwHD - click to readOh yeah....and just to add that it is a bit quiet when it rings - but not excessively quiet.

• 2013-09-10 17:15
  • pwHD

> In reply to disgruntled wigan @ 2013-09-03 19:32 from 32G} - click to readThe full instruction manual is on the website of alcatel - and most modern day appliances now don't include instructions as they expect one to download them.

• 2013-09-10 16:58
  • pwHD

If you want to add any apps like What's App,Swype, Skype, Amazon Kindle or Netnanny it will give you a constant "memory full" message and the phone slows down. It is impossible to root this phone as I have tried lots of programs so your stuck with the bloatware it comes with.

The other problem I have is that for certain periods in the day I have no signal so can't make/receive calls or texts. I have to switch it to airplane mode and then back to regain the signal. I'm not sure if this is a problem with the Virgin network or if the phone has the problem, but my sim card seems to work fine in normal non-android phones without losing signal.
On the plus side it's very fast and the screen is very responsive, but a slightly bigger screen would make typing more accurate. However, bigger screens cost a lot more money so for its price this is good spec. The other features apart from the built in RAM are equivalent to an iphone 4.

• 2013-09-10 16:56
  • pwHD
Total of 64 user reviews and opinions for Alcatel OT-983.