The Canadian Company ATI Technologies Inc. announced the availability of the IMAGEON™ 2260, a multimedia processor that brings high quality video and imaging capabilities to mobile phones. This solution enables the convergence between communication handsets and digital still cameras and video player/recorders. IMAGEON 2260 is a highly integrated multimedia co-processor that offers handset manufacturers a unique opportunity for significant power, space and material cost reductions.
The IMAGEON 2260 offers fully self-contained graphics, video and imaging capabilities to perfectly complement communication baseband solutions. It enables high-quality (high-resolution, high-frame rate) video playback, video recording and two-way video conferencing. Handset manufacturers will benefit from IMAGEON 2260’s support for high-resolution (megapixel) camera modules, putting camera phones on par with entry-level digital still cameras.
IMAGEON 2260 offers the following features:
- Support for high-quality MMS (Multimedia Messaging Services);
- Still picture capture and processing (JPEG encode and decode) with support for high-resolution (megapixel) camera modules;
- Video recording, playback or streaming up to CIF, 30 frames-per-second (Video encode and decode), plus simultaneous encode and decode for video conferencing;
- Advanced 2D graphics acceleration;
- Integrated frame buffer and LCD controller for space, cost and power saving;
- Exceptional visual quality and display features.
ATI’s IMAGEON 2260 media co-processor mass production shipments will start in Q2 2004.