BlackBerry Pearl 8100 - user opinions and reviews

BlackBerry

7.0
6.8
6.8

WiFi is not just for internet browsing. When I'm in the states or in China I use a WiFi phone to use VOIP for int calls. FOr that reason I only use phones with WiFi in these countries. UK is not set up well enough for this feature yet though so its not very important... and yes using WiFi drains the battery life too much for it to be used for great lengths of time.

ONT.

• 2006-10-19 17:37
  • Mqca

Got the phone and love it!
just having a couple problems :(

Cant receive bluetooth files just comes up connection failed but can send fine.

Cant get a MSN messenger to work on it always comes up connection error.

Can anyone help?

• 2006-10-18 11:49
  • pY%P

To EC,

Cheers for your feedback, i do agree with your software points, i have a nokia n80 and its by no means perfect so i can relate with you on that issue.i work in a phone shop and value your input on the blackberry pearl purely because i can now advise customers to go for it.oh and RAFE,you know your stuff on the blackberry but dont assume that everyone thinks like you and were all idiots, i have neither the time or money to carry a digital camera/mp3 player/pda/phone etc etc.....and nor do other people i speak to regularly.i appreciate blackberry phones uses,true its not as efficient as having a lap top to browse internet or have a 8mp+ to snap pictures.I apolagise for slating the handset before holding one, i based this one on previous berrys and assumed it felt like the others, however from what you say it sounds like a much more quality device, oh and to finish no-one appreciates being called an idiot or a bonehead so grow up.

• 2006-10-14 18:48
  • mr5s

Oh yeah I forgot, along with the idoits who take pictures exclusively with phone this is to the boneheads who think that phones need WiFi. What can you actually view on a phone that you would want WiFi? I have ahd Wifi devices before, they are terrible on battery life, and serve no purpose. BB browsing is fine for out and about purposes. Stop trying to use a phone to replace everything electronic in your life. It won't happen. My 15Mp Sony camcorder is way better than any camera phone out there hands down (including those ridiculous Samsung 8Mp phones). My SZ VAIO is the best at internet browsing, e-mail, im, storage and use of applications. If I need a quick shot of something unexpected or a quick answer to a question needing google, that's what these functions are for on a phone. So get over it, WiFi is not needed in a device like this. The only way WiFi is warranted on a device is if I can pull up ANY internet site and be completely active on it, and more than likely I'm going to want to multitask meaning I'm sure as hell not going to be on my phone.

• 2006-10-13 12:59
  • jj6i

This phone is great! I have not felt this happy about a device since my old SE W800i came out. It's a simple solution that goes along with many other posts. I have used Symbian, Windows, Linux, and just about everything else under the sun so that I download buggy software to send e-mail that only worked 50% of the time at best. RIM specializes in e-mail, so why didn't I get one before? Because they were HUGE, cheap feeling, ugly, and lacked fun. This phone is GORGEOUS, nice weight, good feel, fits in a pocket, and has some goodies too.

First of all to those people that are calling it ugly based on pictures, shut the hell up and go and hold it in your hand before you say anything- I can barely recognize my phone from these pictures. Once you get used to typing and using the trackball everything gets done lightning fast.

There are no lags in the menus- something that really made me mad in Symbian (N93) and Windows (QTEK 9100) devices.

Messaging is effortless.

Reception is awesome, out of 5 bars it's rare to have less than 4- I live in the Miami Fl and have T-Mobile.

The battery is what is surprising it lasts me a whole 16 hours of heavy use (believe me, the screen dims into idle for no more than about 3 seconds before I'm using it again) this is something I have only seen in the SE phones, my old W800i lasted me 22 hours but not as intuitive as this device. Most devices that I have had only last me 4 or 5 hours, if any of you know me I am ALWAYS on my phone.

Call clarity is great (I have had better but out of 10 this is a 9), speakerphone is loud

Bluetooth connections are strong

Screen is beautiful

Media functions are all there for the most part: mp3 player, 1.3 Mp camera, ringtones, video

IM and internet browsing is great, quick and responsive

Now to play devilís advocate:

The contact list should have at least one other piece of information besides the name (ie, e-mail or phone number)

It takes some work to use the Bluetooth, transferring data requires almost redundant navigation through the menus

Sometimes on the speakerphone people cannot hear me even if Iím right on it but they can hear someone talking from 5 feet away, it sounds like positioning error but I have tried many things to fix it to no avail

For some reason or other the phone decides to be on silent even when I have the volume all the way up and play with the sound settings (no ringing, not menu sounds, no mp3, nothing) powercycling does nothing, if I take out the battery and put it back in then the sound comes back, I have done that a few times. It happens on my friendís pearl as well

No video record

Memory card is not hot swappable

I think thatís it but I would like to address some other things, most of these come with a quick fix that is not too intrusive. For those of you complaining about the camera, T-Mobile restricts video camera use and yes itís only 1.3 Mp; this is perfect if I just want to take a quick shot of something. If I wanted nice pictures I would use my 15Mp Sony for that, if I wanted a video I would use a video camera- not a phone so get over it. Overall itís a wonderful device that I would recommend to anyone, and to all my fellow T-Mobile agents: despite what the ICM says if the blackberry servers are always down then it must work damn perfect when they are up because it works great ALL the time. Besides how many times do we actually take calls from people having problems with their blackberry? Answer 1/500 and thatís a lot. Thank you for reading.

• 2006-10-13 12:42
  • jj6i

can anyone tell me how to bring up my excel and pdf viewer having problems cheers

• 2006-10-13 10:41
  • MF{P

Can anyone tell me how to send pics in txt messages?I cant seem to work it. thanx

• 2006-10-12 01:28
  • kM14

Has anyone switched from Nokia E60 to Blackberry Pearl 8100?? If so, could you share your expieriences?? Thanks

• 2006-10-11 02:21
  • YfxD

Grieva,

Good luck with the p990. My guess is you'll need it.

I've found from my failed experiment with the Nokia E series that I need a phone that WORKS in the real world, not that just has good specs on paper.

The Blackberry Pearl works perfectly NOW. This time next year, maybe I'll upgrade to one of the other phones, but I was spending too much time fighting buggy software, poor reception and third-party solutions to email. The Windows and Symbian phones have all the specs, but just don't work perfectly yet, and I was tired of being a beta tester at the expense of missed emails and countless hours dealing with tech support.

Simply put, the BB Pearl is the best combination I have found of form factor, features and performance.

The BB Pearl is not perfect, but it is the best I've found so far.

Have fun with the WiFi.

• 2006-10-10 20:43
  • jTpN

i have to agree with faisel(although not in his technical terms!!)blackberrys always feel plasticy and cheap, a cameras is a welcome addition BUT no wifi is a big sacrifice.a decent business phone must utilise all aspects of market and the market is demanding wifi at the moment.its a shame, with wifi this would be almost perfect business phone. Sony ericsson p990 suits uses better in my opinion.

thanks for your time

• 2006-10-10 13:46
  • mr5s

it dont taste like berry.they cheated me.

• 2006-10-10 11:02
  • 2Avr

Hey guys 2 of my friends got this phone. they really love it. but in here it said that they will comming soon.... and the other thing that i wanna say is why it got 32chanels? why not more?

• 2006-10-09 22:11
  • St}Q

Best phone I've ever owned. I was a treo user for 4 years and I've tried the symbian and windows mobile smartphones. There's no comparison. Cameras and wifi are nice, but if they don't get the phone and email right, their worthless. And who wants to carry around a big brick in their pocket or be that geek with a laptop strapped to their belt? The keyboard has been very responsive and seems sturdy to me. I haven't heard of anybody on the bb forums with keyboard problems.

• 2006-10-07 20:11
  • 4UkY

Crap and the keypad has been super glued!

• 2006-10-07 14:48
  • TkyE

what happen to wifi? NO WIFI?

• 2006-10-07 00:13
  • TeTy

New phone and they still using 1.3 mp camera !!! it is shame

• 2006-10-05 06:43
  • S1xn

Cant say enough about Blackberry, They've Come along way. Now with a 1.3 Meg Camera MP3 Player Great fetures easy to use. Never even opened the manual. Can you Say User Friendly!!!Great feal and one hand operational, unlike there previouse models. 2 Thumbs Up.

• 2006-10-03 22:32
  • jTIn

I recently switched to an 8100 from a Nokia E70 and, before that, a treo 650. I just wanted to say that although I'm giving up a few advanced features(Qwerty, wifi, video, etc.) I totally LOVE this 8100.

I do miss how the E70 is a regular phone on the outside, but flips open to reveal a full, SPACIOUS Qwerty keyboard on the inside. I could use suretype for quick messages, yet flip it open for longer responses. BB should consider using the E70 form factor as they develop smaller devices (instead of cramming the Qwerty keys so close together, as we've seen in pictures of the upcoming 8800).

In any event, I have a question regarding the below post. My desktop manager does not have a modem option included. I know I installed it correctly, because I went back and checked the CD. How do I go about getting this functionality? Does T-mobile not support it? Is there somewhere on the web where I can download it into the Desktop Manager?

• 2006-09-28 01:17
  • jTpN

+cgdcont=1,,"wap.voicestream.com" (whoops, forgot the (") at the end of that...

• 2006-09-27 07:48
  • jyCb

T-Mobile--- To connect it to your laptop as a modem, you first have to have Blackberry Desktop Manater running and it must show that the device is connected. If you installed the software correctly, it should be an option as a modem already. Now go to Phone and Modem Options under the Control Panel. On the Advanced tab, type in... [[[ +cgdcont=1,,"wap.voicestream.com ]]] (exclude the brackets) Then make a new connection and have it dial *99# as the phone number. Leave the user and password blank. It should work then.

• 2006-09-27 07:47
  • Rbq2
Total of 1316 user reviews and opinions for BlackBerry Pearl 8100.