BlackBerry Q5 - user opinions and reviews

BlackBerry

6.8
6.9
6.9

I had my Q5 for almost 3 month now and few thing I wish to comment is the phone run quite hot. Also it's front camera got dark spot. Even though I am not charging the phone and not using it but I can feel it's heat in my pocket. Lately it also mix up my contact by linking some bbm pin to other friend's phone number. And also it's address book can't be updated or it take some time not sure how long to effect the changes or even search of the address book seem forever or it turn out not found I just bought a wrong phone. BlackBerry if you don't care about customer user friendliness you will be out of business soon.

• 2014-05-08 13:00
  • ibc4

Its rear camera is getting hanged after the os update. Can any buddy help me in this context.

• 2014-05-06 21:23
  • 7qA3

Can this phone use WhatsApp or whatsApp friendly?

• 2014-05-06 16:29
  • fuI5

why blackberry don't contract with our local network provider for selling this divice at affordable price as you do in Europe,
am in tanzania

• 2014-05-05 12:55
  • fsPp

Update to my previous comments

Actually this device (and other new BB) can be connected to your PC easily. Either with the Blackberry Link software which enables you to sync with your PC.

Since my Q5 is my personal phone, I am not allowed to download software into my computer laptop. By setting your device to USB storage, you can connect to your PC and manage your files, download photos and stuff.
I didn't this was possible until recently.

I analyzed my BB photos carefully and conclude that the lens and sensor are actually not bad. However, the auto focussing may be off at times. You will not notice until you open up your pictures on a large screen.

I got a 3rd party flip cover with a magnetic clip for USD10. Whenever i close the cover, the screen automatically shuts. When i flip it open, the screen lights up. It is absolutely great!

My home wifi is not accessible from one of my toilets, that was what I thought when I was using my android phone. With this Q5, the signal is strong and I can go online smoothly. I think the wifi receptor is pretty good.

Being able to open several windows or apps at the same time would be the thing I like most. I am not even able to do that with my company supplied (rather high end) Lumia 1020. I cannot refer to a pdf file while I reply an email. With the Q5, less than half the price, it is possible.

Overall, despite its weaknesses, I do not regret buying this phone at all. Typing is comfortable and I am surprised that people are giving bad comments about Blackberry simply because the company is struggling. I think the Q5 is a good buy at the current price. Not sure why there are so many haters out there, it is not like Blackberry killed your mother.

The more i use this phone, the more I am impressed with it!

• 2014-05-02 18:58
  • TSQ1

Bb10 is much much way better than bb7 or bb5..tsk..q5 is a very very good phone..

• 2014-05-02 15:12
  • t7Xh

BB Q5 worst phone ever 1.always active in your pocket even when key locked.2.something will always hang call log ,message log,camera etc 3.try updating it and it will give you all kind of problem e.g memory full 4.very poor apps games are so poor you cant show to any with a different phone. the list is endless trust me or buy one and try it.

• 2014-05-02 02:54
  • Ns9@

I m thinking to buy Q5 I m fed with total touch screen phones I want to use qwerty keypad now a days only blackberry is phn which have qwerty pads den all my friends said dat blackberry phones are hanging up with some software problems is it is true r false bcoz in my location no one use blackberry

What u say guys is it is nice to buy blackberry ???.... plzzzz any 2 reply me

• 2014-05-01 17:06
  • vG$g

it is realy good

• 2014-05-01 01:09
  • fsV9

I'm actually very happy with my Q5. I keep all my documentation online, so storage capacity is not an issue. Apollo is a good third-party access to Pandora, and that's just about all I need, music-wise. The hub is convenient, the browser is swift, and the camera does the job. I got it for about $250 directly from BB (rebate included) and can't think of a better QWERTY deal at present. Good work/life companion.

• 2014-04-28 22:33
  • jFBy

Just got my Q5 last week. Hesitated to buy until now, since price has dropped to usd250 which I think is a fair price I got it.

Things I like:
The screen has great resolution.
The keyboard is quite comfortable to type contrary to some reviewers have mentioned
The build quality is not bad. Yes it is made with plastic but well made toy plastic.
Built quality is not something I would complain abt this phone.
Blackberry hub is very useful

What I dont like about this phone:
You need to crank up the brightness to view photos. And that saps battery.
Really dim display compared to AMOLED.
The camera is prone to start up failures.
The picture quality leaves much to be desired.
5MP BB camera is pretty poor compare to 5MP in budget android models like samsung or huawei.
Unlike android and Windows, u cannot plug in your phone to your laptop and access the files. You have to download their software which was not allowed on my company laptop.
My company has shifted from BB to Windows phone by the way but I am addicted to the keyboard, so I got a BB as my personal phone

Tips:
If you want wider angle for your camera, use 4:3 frame or 16:9 frame. The square frame is not wide angle. It is weird. I thought they would just crop the square frame but no, it has a different focal length.

Overall.

I like this phone simply because it has a comfortable keyboard

Other than that I dont see anything special. If android or windows have a qwerty handset with 2gb RAM and decent speed processor, there is no way I am going to buy this

• 2014-04-28 08:24
  • TSQ1

> In reply to Kiran K @ 2014-04-20 22:37 from tE$d - click to readI agree BB bold 5 is seriously batter then Q5, I really wish I can go back to my bold 5

• 2014-04-26 20:10
  • fsVb

> In reply to deep @ 2014-04-22 21:23 from uuBu - click to readbold 9790 is better option then 9720(512Mb RAM)

• 2014-04-25 23:58
  • tE$d

Well, I'm using this q5 just now and I find that I am quite satisfied with what I find with this phone an OS. Well I don't like the design of the qwerty pad, and I find the previous is look more elegant and not monotonous, but well overall it is quite good.

• 2014-04-25 16:20
  • 6cer

go for 9720

• 2014-04-25 11:22
  • NuQH

go for bold 9790

• 2014-04-23 08:06
  • K8Tv

give me 1 advice which 1 is perfect bold 9790 or q5 ?????

• 2014-04-22 21:23
  • uuBu

> In reply to Kiran K @ 2014-04-20 22:35 from tE$d - click to readearliar bb devices are awesome

• 2014-04-22 15:38
  • w43M

> In reply to Anonymous @ 2014-04-21 17:42 from kxEp - click to readI believe he really owned one but he never gave it a fair chance, for example he claim that he have to go back to the thread to read the next email, thats not true, i guess he didnt spend enough time with it to see the new ways of doing things.

• 2014-04-22 06:21
  • Kg$5
Total of 1150 user reviews and opinions for BlackBerry Q5.