Gigabyte GSmart i120 - user opinions and reviews

7.6
7.9
7.6

To Bull:

All Symbian 9.1 phones suck and yet Nokia and SE are insisting on it.Gigabye might be a newcomer in phone business , but they sure have managed to design a very workable and stable device.

• 2007-05-17 20:14
  • Tu8V

This brand is not specilazed in producing gsm phone or pda as well as Nokia, Sony Ericcsoon or Blackberry so I dont advise you to buy it.

• 2007-05-13 01:15
  • np39

hi guys,

i bought dis phone...its gr8...ne ways i have problem i lost my stylus wanna abuy a new stylus but i'm unable to find it...pls gimme the linx...
tried in plemix, CTI Miami..ebay..

• 2007-05-08 22:10
  • k1$8

Hi Donni
Thank you for your enquiry about my problem, it was very kind of you.
Just to test, I hard reset my i120 and again, the "Smart Keypad" was working.
The first program which I need to install on my device, becuase I live in Iran, is Pocket Arabizer (I'm not sure if you're familiar with it) which consists of approximately 6 or 7 programs which install one after another automatically; of course, you can choose to install them individually.
One of the programs which is installed with Pocket Arabizer in an input method which allows you to write Arabic (or Farsi) text.
When Pocket Arabizer installation finished, I noticed that again the "Smart Keypad" began to malfunction.
I suspected the input method to be responsibe for this. Do you think that the continuous installation of the program caused the problem?
And it was just after installation of Pocket Arabizer that "Smart Keypad" malfunctioned and no other program was installed.

• 2007-05-08 00:15
  • mjMV

HI, fazard and all others, i'v made an entensive enquiry into your problem (smart input malfunctions after application installations/ or general system instability) . It appears these things (problems) MAY occur if many applications are installed directly on the phone memory within a short time or simultaneously, however after many reboots most get corrected. Its recommended you install compatible applications one after the other and at least leave 3-5 mins before installing the next. That greatly ensures stability. AND prevents you from experencing these problems. Where possible always over right applications to the memory card that is if you have one installed and applications are not primary

• 2007-05-07 16:23

To Donni
Hi Donni,
Thanks for your reply,
I upgraded to the latest version (.84 Turkey) as you had said in one of your posts.
And yes, when it started to download, I pluged in the AC cord.
"Smart Keypad" was working (although not so satisfactory as you work, for example, on a Nokia keypad) when I upgraded, but when I installed some applications, it began to malfunction.
I think if I hard-reset my device, it would work again, but I want to have softwares on my device and I need it to work with other applications on my device.
Thank you again ...

• 2007-05-02 02:18
  • nj$T

TO FARZARD
What version of the firmware did you upgrade to? And did you plug-in the AC cord as you were upgrading? Reply and let me know

• 2007-05-01 12:34

I recently bought a g-smart i120
I upgraded the firmware and so the "Smart Keypad" showed up in the input methods ...
Somehow I didn't like the Multi-tap on it so much but it was better than not to be able to write any text with its hardware keyboard.
Then I installed some programs and when I wanted to use the "Smart Keypad", it simply doesn't work.
When I want to write and I press a button, it's character appears with an underline but when the underline is supposed to disapear and the character is supposed to remain, the character itself disapears and so I can't write any character at all !!!!
Anybody had the same issue??
Can anybody help please??

• 2007-05-01 00:31
  • nj$T

SAEED

nevermind saeed, thats the way gigabyte have chosen to have things. The 1.84 for turkey is the latest version "for the english world" its just about semantics. I highly recommend you update the firmware to this version.

• 2007-04-26 09:45

To DONNI:

I Agree with you on the illumination case.However my biggest problem with it is actually the keyboard layout and the fact that because its seems not logically designed(the 4 way cursor keys are moved to lower right corner) and since the backlit keys turn on only when u press a hardware key and remains on for only 2 seconds, I found it very hard to dial in dark conditions.However as u put it, its just an extra. I am learning new things about the phone daily. The lastest CON is :The phone doesnt have a SIM manager, therefore you have to copy your contacts saved into your sim one by one. And about the site u mentioned to upgrade, there is no World english upgrade.

• 2007-04-26 07:34
  • Tu8V

on the keyboard illumination. Since its a full touch screen pda, the keyboard is a typical "BONUS" thats why Gigabyte do not place emphasis on the it. This phone screen is brighter and vivid than the so called 16m colours in certain phones. To all those not having smart text/keyboard/input? and running english versions update your firmware to 1.84 english at the phone's website. http://www.gigabytecm.com/eng/ The firmware update not only corrects smart input but also increase battery life span and many other enhancements Applicable versions can also be updated where appropriate

• 2007-04-26 01:30

TO SAEED:

Good description indeed this phone may look cheap to the masses but nevermind, beneath the looks lies one of the most powerful phones on the market today. Certainly at top of current on the market phones on gsm arena. Its a pity nokia and sony ericsson ardents are not seeing and only looking at non exlusive metal cases! lol!

• 2007-04-26 01:05
  • Ih1W

PROS:
1-Very stable pocket pc (no hangs or reboots)
2-Better than average Camera
3-TV tuner is amazing
4-Answer machine
5-good speaker
6-very fast bluetooth pairing
7-many useful features
CONS:
1-cheap looks
2-very small keyboard with bad illumination

• 2007-04-25 19:08
  • Tu8V

my dear friend if the phone is useless to u then throw it in the bin! Update ur firmware and ur pee will be solved.

• 2007-04-24 09:31

to: robynmks

Thanks you for telling me.. but hehe i still dont have that money to buy... *sob..

• 2007-04-22 18:38
  • F4pr

I just purchased this i120 phone, and it would be a really great phone- except Smart Input is NOT on the phone. Its listed in the manual and on the box...but NOWHERE on the phone- so the phone is useless to me as I bought it for entering text via a keypad (like on my p910 which i LOVED!) My version has a Taiwan keypad plus english. Anyone else have this problem? Anyone know what I can do to get some kind of predictive text on this phone?

• 2007-04-22 06:21
  • YbvU

TO EDISON:
the difference is that the I120 is a newer version with better performance. The TV and Fm in the I120 are recording enabled but the I128 merely broadcasts, Also the I120 has about 240mb free internal memory for users while the I128 HAS ABOUT 90mb free internal memory, other features as wise talk, zip and smart input are not in I128. So basically the I120 is better than the I128

• 2007-04-20 07:05
  • Bw@H

Nokia can kiss my behind.The problem with this phone is it is not available everywhere.If it was then nokia would bite the dust.Nokia N95 has nothing to even match this phone if only the 5 mpx cam and then what is the use of the 5 mpx if you got no adequate flash.N95 is going for 800 euros and this puppy is going for 500 euros.You choose but read the specification and you will understand that you are buying a nokia just for the name and nothing else.

• 2007-04-19 19:56
  • miXj

can anyone tell me(i wonder) whats differen between g-smart i128 and g-smart i120, 120 seem better.. thanks

• 2007-04-19 18:37
  • F4pr

truly some of us are making a whole lot of fuss and wow's about the nokia's and co whiles these guys from asia are way way ahead!. How do you even compare nokia's flagship(N95) to this one! lol incomparable, remember folks this one was even realeased in december. its time the big names stepped up!! big-up gigabyte. i only wish i could find it here in the UK!

• 2007-04-07 19:12
  • I7LQ
Total of 221 user reviews and opinions for Gigabyte GSmart i120.