Google Q1 revenue and profits up, Motorola still posts a loss

19 April, 2013 | Comments (21) | Post your comment

Tags: Google, Android

Google is starting a new fiscal year and CEO Larry Page is pleased, "We had a very strong start to 2013, with $14.0 billion in revenue, up 31% year-on-year." He also had things to share about Android, mobile search and Motorola.

Let’s look at the financials first – Google reported a revenue of $13.97 billion with operating income being 25% of that, $3.48 billion. Net income is up to $3.35 billion from $2.89 billion in the first quarter of last year.



Google made 93% of the consolidated revenues, while Motorola contributed the other 7% or $1.02 billion. The phone maker posted an operating loss of $271 million.

As far as Android is concerned, Page considers the Play Store fundamental to Android's success and is happy with the recent expansion and new UI. Google Now, Voice Search and Voice Commands also get a positive mention.

The CEO also talked about phones and specifically focused on battery life and durability.

"Battery life is a challenge for most people … you shouldn't need to carry a charger around with you to make it through the day. If your kid spills their drink on your tablet, the screen shouldn’t die. And when you drop your phone, it shouldn't shatter." writes Page in a Google+ post.

He has seen Motorola’s upcoming products (which presumably embody these qualities) and is very excited about them. He also talks about the progress of AdWords, Gmail and Fiber.

Looking towards the future, Google’s CEO thinks Glass is the way forward and that some years from now we’ll find it odd that computing involved things we put in our pockets.

You can read Larry Page’s Google+ post here and the full financial report is over here.


 

 

Google Q1 revenue and profits up, Motorola still posts a loss - reader comments

  • Anonymous

samsung, htc etc are not game changing as they using Google's Android. Without Android, do you think Samsung can sell more than iPhone?

  • Reply
  • 2013-04-23 04:42
  • IaHc
  • Anonymous

what is google doing? design a powerful OS like Android and let Samsung earn all the billions, while is it not doing anything with Motorola?!

  • Reply
  • 2013-04-23 04:40
  • IaHc
  • Anonymous

u r right buddy

  • Reply
  • 2013-04-21 17:13
  • uu}e