HTC Desire HD - user opinions and reviews

HTC

Popularity

Daily interest
2.0%
Total hits:
8874299

Voting results

Design
7.2
Features
7.3
Performance
7.1
Votes:
101

Sort by:

does android offer different programs like iphone???
i have 3Gs right now&and i want to buy desire hd.
will i buy sth more fun?

  • Reply
  • 2010-09-29 16:08
  • 3IrB
  • U

I have tested the HTC DESIRE HD,and i can 100% say it beats the SAMSUNG GALAXY S the Galaxy is to slow and crashes even with 2.2 update HTC are winning the battle.

  • Reply
  • 2010-09-29 15:54
  • ny85
  • H

> In reply to Matt @ 2010-09-29 15:21 from MAVb - click to readWhy are there so many people on here that want to be told what's good for them and what's not?

It's strange how people want to be spoonfed opinions for them to take on as their own.

Best thing to do is read a full review on a phone to find a detailed list of good/bad points about it, and also if possible, to go into mobile phone stores and ask to see a handset in action. The employees obviously wouldn't give an unbiased opinion regarding it, but you can have a play around and make your own mind up.

  • Reply
  • 2010-09-29 15:45
  • Tr8a
  • R

> In reply to Random @ 2010-09-29 15:06 from Tr8a - click to readglad to see that there are still some reasonable people around here. Spending some time here, but especially the last few months on the N8's page made me extremely frustrated. Finally now I've stopped trying to argue with bashers, whereas I formerly made it my life's mission to defend the N8 (ok little exaggeration:-))

it's all useless to bash but what I can do is try to make reasonable people out of some bashers, I know it's possible... I'm not doing it for the good of the world. Like Damon Albarn would say, "it gives me an enourmous sense of well being" :-D and I really want to kick some life into this page for when I'm getting bored again :-D

  • Reply
  • 2010-09-29 15:33
  • MAVb
  • R

> In reply to [deleted post]Difficult to say and I really do not want to say that one phone is better than the other. So I'm afraid you will not get a decent answer out of me, only some vague mostly objective opinions which only make it harder for people to chose their phone. So if you want someone to tell you which phone to buy, don't read on.

When you're buying a phone, don't just go around asking everyone which phone is the best, everyone will say theirs is. First make up your own mind about what you want in a phone and then go looking for user experience (if available). For example, if you say that taking pictures with your cell phone is really important then I say, go for the N8. On the other hand if you say that making movies in dark loud party's is very important, then go for the Desire HD since the N8 doesn't have a LED light. And there are 1000s more examples available.

You see, everything that makes a phone good, can be turned around and make the phone bad, just because of what people want and therefore it is always impossible to tell complete strangers which phone is the best.

When I was in Africa working with dredging vessels the Nokia 5500 was the best phone in the world for me.
Now that I'm sitting behind a desk most of the day, the HTC Desire HD is the best phone in the world for me.

I'm really sorry I cannot answer your question, but the last thing I want in the world is to become a brand basher
(even though I work on a Macbook Pro and own an iPhone I have my troubles not doing it with Apple, not because of the quality of their products, but because of their continues friendly masked deception, and their exorbitant prices for computers)

  • Reply
  • 2010-09-29 15:21
  • MAVb
  • R

> In reply to Matt @ 2010-09-29 14:33 from MAVb - click to readMatt, I admire the sensible approach but no matter how many of us there are, no matter how hard we try, we'll never be able to silence the fanboy comments. There'll still be ridiculous comments posted all over here.

And for anybody criticising the 4.3" screen size as being too big.....keep in mind that the mobile phone market has different segments. You get different users with different requirements/taste and mobile phone manufacturers produce phones to cater for a particular segment.

This is clearly aimed at the "bigger is better" crowd, and I'm sure there are enough people in the market who would buy a phone with a 4.3" screen for HTC to consider it a good move to produce something with a screen that big.

For the ones that complain that 4.3" is too big........are you not satisfied that HTC have produce the Desire? The HTC Desire is the phone that they have produced for you, not the Desire HD.

  • Reply
  • 2010-09-29 15:06
  • Tr8a
  • R

> In reply to Alui @ 2010-09-29 14:07 from Am9Y - click to readMake up your mind. Does it beat them hands down, or is it a little bitty better? And why?

Saying 4.3" is too big (off course implying "for me") is not a reason. I want a 4.3" screen ;-) What you want has nothing to do with a phone being the best or not. Actually it's rather impossible to say which phone is the best of all in the world. For my mom the Nokia 3100 is the best phone in the world, who are you to say it's not? Give her a Desire HD and she will have crushed it in a blender after 2 days because she couldn't use it practically.

Off course it's a litte easier to compare 2 Android 2.2 phones with roughly the same measurements and more or less the same generation than a SGS with a 3100.
In the end it will all come down to what you like more because nowadays phones are all good phones (except for a few misbreads :))

I'm a freelance photographer and very often I get the question from starter photographers; "Which brand of dslr camera should I buy, which one is the best??"

I ALWAYS say; none of them is, just go to the shop, take them all in your hands, take a few shots and within 5min you'll know which one is the BEST FOR YOU. When you are more experienced with photography, you will know what you want and only then can you decide FOR YOURSELF which brand is the best and although I'm a Canon man, I will argue with no one saying their brand is better as long as they say "for me"

saying a phone is better or worse than another one can only be done by comparing the same functions' results, and comparing the absence or presence of certain functions all of this being completely objective


conclusion, well actually it's impossible to objectively state which phone is the best smartphone in the world. In the end what we all have to do is agree to disagree, some people don't like this, and that's the moment where things get ugly, where brand bashing trolls are born.

For me the HTC desire HD is the best phone because:
-it has the biggest screen possible to fit in your pants with more than enough pixels
-its sense UI is finger lickingly good looking and smooth (IMO!!)
-it simply looks gorgeous
-it has better specs than MOST of the phones available
-it's an HTC (I admit, brand names DO matter for me)
-... and so on


But if I look at this list, change ME with YOU, change HTC Desire with SGS and it's still true... so my next question, why am I still arguing? This is an unsolvable paradox

  • Reply
  • 2010-09-29 15:03
  • MAVb
  • R

> In reply to [deleted post]the two are too different to compare. However, probably, since you have to ask, the n8 is more ideal. It has better all-around specs, while the only advantage the desire hd has is the bigger display,whose sunlight legibility is disappointing.
Ignore these idiots who think they know everything, both android and symbian 3 are good os's. Good luck

  • Reply
  • 2010-09-29 15:01
  • p7KZ
  • R

> In reply to Alui @ 2010-09-29 14:07 from Am9Y - click to readThe Galaxy S beats the HTC desire HD hands down you say.
In what, arm wresteling, vacuum cleaning...?

come on people, argue with reason, don't just say mine's best again and again and again!!

  • Reply
  • 2010-09-29 14:33
  • MAVb
  • R

> In reply to Alui @ 2010-09-29 14:07 from Am9Y - click to readCan I ask why it is better? Regardless of the OS
you say that it's better but you don't give any arguments, please convince me to buy the SGS in stead of the HTC desire HD. If you succeed I will be very thankfull since the SGS is cheeper and available now

to me it's not about the SGS not being strong enough, it's not about the SGS not looking to sturdy.

It's about the SGS FEELING like it comes out of a vending machine...
It might even be that the SGS can withstand a drop better than the Desire HD because it's momentum when crashing down will be smaller due to the smaller weight. You now, I don't care. I will make shure I won't drop it... Making shure you don't touch it with your hands and feeling the cheepness sadly is not possible.

If I owned a Samsung Galaxy S, I would honestly be ashamed to hand it over to one of my friends to try it out just because it feels so cheap

But then again, it's perfectly possible that you do not give a rats ass about the weight and feel of the phone, neither about a built in flash. In that case, why not go for the Galaxy S?

  • Reply
  • 2010-09-29 14:29
  • MAVb
  • R

> In reply to Alui @ 2010-09-29 14:07 from Am9Y - click to readYou dont miss flash light for camera on your sgs ?

  • Reply
  • 2010-09-29 14:26
  • vGxr
  • R

I think I would prefer the normal desire to this, if I would want a HTC phone. The 5 Mpix camera is enough, 3.7 inch screen also. But overall, once Froyo update will be released, Samsung Galaxy S beats both hands down. Some complain the SGS looks cheap, because is plastic. I dropped mine a few times, expecting a disaster, but because the phone is so light and the Gorilla glass, nothing happened, not a scratch. So I rather have a functioning "cheap looking" beast phone after a drop, rather that a nice cracked phone. I'm not saying HTC Desire and Desire HD are bad, just that SGS is a little-little bit better.

  • Reply
  • 2010-09-29 14:07
  • Am9Y
  • U

> In reply to Random @ 2010-09-29 12:46 from Tr8a - click to readI agree, these days every brand is so obsessed by touch screens (and buttons but why?) that they want to make everything touch.
I don't think that there is one person in the whole world who prefers a touch button over a (decent!) physical button so how come phone makers do this?

I think this is done because nowadays, touch is cool, touch is new and everything that has the word "touch" in it must be AWESOME, YEEEAHHHHH!!
Is it really? Sadly, for me it's not. The biggest problem here is you do not get feedback and the buttons themselves are impossible to find without your eyes. Just think of how many people will suffer, trying to make a picture of themselves using the Desire HD when they're looking for a button which takes up maybe 5% of a 100% flat and sleek surface when the phones screen is facing away from them.

Though I must say Nokia did a pretty good job making their touchscreen and touch buttons (eg. the touch button for 'media' on the front of the 5800) give a nice feedback through the phones vibrator. This kinda put a patch on my wounds made by the famous touch buttons. The iPhone also does a pretty nice job with their clicky sounds though I really prefer the vibration since that's completely silent. To be honest I haven't got a clue as to how HTC handles this with their Android phones, do the touch buttons give feedback through vibration or clicky sounds?

Like you say, the '5-way or 3-way jog-dial' button perfectly implemented in the Sony and Sony Ericsson phones like cmd-j5, cmd-z5, P800, P900 and so on (which I all had in the past) is one of the best menu navigation tools on a cell phone because it is ridiculously easy for one hand operation, especially the 5 way one, God how much I loved this back in the days. Utterly perfect to play games on my cmd-5 in the classroom with one hand next to your body :-D

All I want is 3 physical buttons. An 'answer' and 'hang up' key + a menu key. Is that so much to ask.

People if you personally prefer the touch buttons, I'm extremely curious as to why you do. Please explain it here with good arguments. If you have decent arguments, everyone can convince me of everything even that the iPhone is the best smartphone in the world. Up to now, no one was able to give me good arguments.

Sadly a lot of the fanboys think that everyone wants what they want in a phone, quickly resulting in name calling and eventually the downfall of many fanpages...

  • Reply
  • 2010-09-29 13:52
  • MAVb
  • R

My gripes with this phone are:
- no trackball
- no physical buttons on the front screen

I used to own a HTC Touch HD and it was such a pain not having any physical buttons or anything to scroll around the screen.

This phone seems exactly the same except with a bigger screen and higher specs.

I remember SEM used to have a scroller at the side of the phone......such a useful thing, why did they ever stop using it??!!

  • Reply
  • 2010-09-29 12:46
  • Tr8a
  • U

> In reply to Matt @ 2010-09-29 11:08 from MAVb - click to readmatt is the besttt !!!! thank you matt ...i read all of your opinions . i want to talk to you and aks you some question but actually my speaking is not good :D .. i read all people's opinions but they are just fanboy apple,htc or samsung

by the way i think i will by htc desire HD .. thanks again matt

  • Reply
  • 2010-09-29 12:45
  • 0vTW
  • R

Man, if only Android Market had the same quality/quantity of apps as the apple app store, if they did, the iphone would be totally in the sh*t.

  • Reply
  • 2010-09-29 12:18
  • SpFj
  • U

> In reply to Anonymous @ 2010-09-29 11:43 from pxVV - click to readYes, but wouldn't it be nice to have both? The new processor might allow good battery life, but with both we could get great battery life for once.

  • Reply
  • 2010-09-29 12:12
  • SpFj
  • R

> In reply to Anonymous @ 2010-09-29 11:43 from pxVV - click to readYes, but wouldn't it be nice to have both? The new processor might allow good battery life, but with both we could get great battery life for once.

  • Reply
  • 2010-09-29 12:12
  • SpFj
  • R

> In reply to add me psn id: baz_c @ 2010-09-29 03:12 from mp1i - click to readI pity you for your lack of knowledge! Big battery is not the answer always, power efficient processor can work outstandingly even with the tiniest of batteries! This phone has the second generation snapdragon processor and a all new powerful GPU. As of now, this device will be the fastest and the most efficient in the market!

  • Reply
  • 2010-09-29 11:43
  • pxVV
  • R

> In reply to Drake @ 2010-09-26 23:25 from iZw} - click to readI am not even going to reply to that...

oh wait, I just did
well anyway, we'll see when it's launched. Impossible to say now

  • Reply
  • 2010-09-29 11:08
  • MAVb
  • R
Sort by:
Total of 5717 user reviews and opinions for HTC Desire HD.