HTC Desire S - user opinions and reviews

HTC

7.5
7.4
7.2

Just bought HTC desire s and posting my reviews from my mobile itself. It is an awesome phone. I have been using it for a day and its performing great. I was reading all the comments in many forums before buying this phone. happy to post a reviews now. First about the grip of death. It is present in the phone but very very marginal. That too when you completely cover the top portion. I also checked his with HTC Google nexus one. Even its responds the same way. If you have full bars in WiFi then it would drop hardly one bar if holder in top. Even now am browsing through WiFi in landscape mode. I have full WiFi signal. So just forget about grip of death. Ll use the phone further and post more.

• 2011-05-07 21:31
  • vG0A

Is it possible to use the secondary camera seperately, when not using the vedio call in the HTC Desire S.?

• 2011-05-07 14:53
  • 2SEg

About the build quality, my battery cover does squeak when I press on the left side of it(looking from the front). Been trying to fix it with some paper but when I finally got it perfect, the paper moved, heh.

Light leakage is when light gets through the gap between the body and the screen of the phone, or between the body and the battery cover. This leads to having a visible strip of light at total darkness around the bottom of the screen. More of a slight annoyance than an actual issue.

• 2011-05-07 14:23
  • pIh@

Hi All,
i just have 2 questions about the phone,if i am through with these. this wud be my phone after the blackberry.
1. about the death grip, if its really true.
2. and if the color really fades around the body or from the chin.

• 2011-05-07 11:59
  • Hxep

For all those worrying about touch buttons not lighting up, its all due to light sensor, they only light up in proper darkness-cover light sensor and touch buttons light up

• 2011-05-07 09:09
  • gDEk

call you use your bluetooth to make voice calls like this, i mean my phone is in my pocket and i press the call button on my motorola h720 bt and say call home, without ever having to use my phone?

• 2011-05-07 00:32
  • 4Bea
  • F

> In reply to imranbanday @ 2011-05-06 19:18 from utLa - click to readTry watching an LCD screen when the display is completely black (start or end a movie when screen turns black).

You will notice that light bleeds at the Very bottom and top of the screen.

It's a 100 times less in case of mobile phones. You can only notice it when your only source of light is the mobile display.

• 2011-05-06 20:31
  • vGF6

> In reply to Bikram @ 2011-05-06 14:43 from Hksn - click to readplz explain what is light leakage.

• 2011-05-06 19:18
  • utLa

> In reply to Bikram @ 2011-05-06 14:43 from Hksn - click to readdear i intend to buy htc desire s but dont know about the light leakage. can u plz explain me about it.

• 2011-05-06 19:09
  • utLa

Dear friends,
Keeping my promise, I am writing my review on this phone.
There have been some postings on different issues on this phone. After spending almost a week with it I can confirm if there is any.
1. The light leakage is there but is very hard to find unless you peep inside it with lot of anxiety. (no problem for me)
2. Nope, the body color is intact. I believe this will stay as it is anodised and not painted.
3. Yes, wifi death group exists. This should not be a problem as it hardly drops one bar if the phone is held in a deliberate manner. (no problem for me)
4. Camera quality is average.:(

If one doesn't bother abt above problems, would find this phone a good bargain.

Positives are:
1. Super fast UI that pleases ur eyes.
2. Good for gaming.
3. Very solid body.
4. Excellent battery back up.

I am happy as I have successfully installed swype on it. :)

• 2011-05-06 14:43
  • Hksn

i am a wildfire user and wanted to upgrade to htc desire s ... just wanted to know about the sound quality of this phone ... plz reply

• 2011-05-06 11:58
  • vGiU

v I n, thanks for confirming with me on the light leakage issue. The body shedding paint sounds like a hoax to me, just keeping it in my jeens pocket. Can anyone recomend a case for this phone? I was thinking about a flip case but i don't want to obstract the phone much as i oftem hold it horizontally. Almost dropped it yesterday. Whoops.

• 2011-05-06 00:35
  • pIh@

i have found the HTC sense log in app on my device.. its present inside the htc hub.

• 2011-05-05 22:54
  • utXg

hi,
I bought my Desire S yesterday and noticed that the red light provided for charging is leaking. In long run it may cause damage to the phone as water or dust particles may easily enter.
I complained on HTC website with attached snapshot.
In reply to that they have provided me the address of their service center and suggested to go there.
Should i ask for replacement??
Please suggest.
Thanx

• 2011-05-05 18:21
  • ttYv

> In reply to Anonymous @ 2011-04-28 00:44 from pIh@ - click to readhi,
Even i noticed the same problem in my Desire S. The red light provided for charging is leaking. In long run it may cause damage to the phone as water or dust particles may easily enter.
I complained to HTC website with attached snapshot.
Should i ask for replacement??
Please suggest.
Thanx

• 2011-05-05 18:19
  • ttYv

> In reply to aakul sandeep @ 2011-05-05 06:30 from t}gA - click to readNo .. Video calling is not straight forward .. it is not similar to symbian (directly from 3g network).. You need to do video through some application like fring, tango , etc.. This is something disappointing one.. I recently bought HTC Desire S. and tried to do video calling through 3G. and got disappointed..

• 2011-05-05 15:33
  • 3CH2

How is the speaker of this phone ?? is it loud enuff ?

• 2011-05-05 14:46
  • vGiU

> In reply to ronaldo @ 2011-05-03 15:17 from kiPv - click to readHi, I bought HTC desire 3months ago, and I feel great bout it. Bcuz I dint find any prob till date. But everyone shud agree dat every fone has a different prob .. so in HTC desire I found battery is poor, if I switch on gps and use map, battery dries up :'(:'( so I hav solved dat prob too, by placing a charger in my car :). Other Dan dat I love HTC desire to de core....ppl don't buy HTC desire-S, my brother bought it and he's finding sum probs in internet, and e cannot able to type a contact no. while he is on a call ....

• 2011-05-05 11:06
  • YQUZ

Been Using the Phone for a week.. So far i have no complains i do recommend this phone to all.

Pros:

- Fast Web Browser In fact Desire S is one of the few android phone's that can play full HD video inside it's browser.

- Battery Life stand's 2 days of normal usage.. 2 hrs. phone call every day messaging, email and aound 1 hr. of wifi using.

- no sign of paint shedding ( i do believe it depends on the phone you have purchased )

- Video play is great specially the SRS feature of the phone 2 thumbs up!

- music play is also awesome because of its built in equalizer. and great music interface.

- cool unibody design feels sexy and solid in your hands.

- SLCD is good view angles are perfect.

- Call quality is great earpiece speaker is very loud, back speaker is just average.

- Touch screen is very sensitive

- No lags, can surf the web , listen to music, push emails , go online in IM's at the same time with no problem.

- HD recording is good for 720p

- Camera is average 5mp but it shoots ok.

- Fast Boot is AWESOME!.. powering the phone off and
when you power it up back it will only take 2-4 sec. you can fully use the phone. ( just dont remove the battery )

Cons:

- No 3g video call for the meantime, can only use it using fring, skype or YM video calls or other 3rd party app's but i dont mind it.

- Wifi death grip does not happen all the time it depends on how you hold the phone. i have notice if it will drop i will only lose 1 bar of signal in wifi.

- some complains there is a light leakage above the soft keys. mine is just ok.

overall experience its a great phone and it's currently 3rd place in top 20 android phone's in the world!..

here's the link:

• 2011-05-05 09:27
  • t7Zs

can u please clarify about the video call option. can it be made via 3g network carrier without using any application?? just like in any 3g symbian phone?? confirm for desire s

• 2011-05-05 06:30
  • t}gA
Total of 3167 user reviews and opinions for HTC Desire S.