HTC Desire Z - user opinions and reviews

HTC

7.4
7.3
7.1

how come when I log into my friends stream it says it does not work need an answer before the phone gets broken please

• 2015-04-07 04:25
  • vFvm

> In reply to DesireZ-user @ 2015-02-03 16:32 from 3YMb - click to readIt does use Mini-SIM. A Standard SIM is as large as a credit card. ;)

• 2015-03-05 19:51
  • ngFK

Great phone, I upgraded it to Android 4.4.4 Kitkat, and it works fine, but sometimes really slow, probably because of hardware... Dont know if any earlier Android system will work better...

• 2015-02-07 16:48
  • J510

I'm very happy using this device.

Running Android KitKat 4.4 using Andromadus Flinny Rom of 2014-03-23 (based on CyanogenMod CM11.0).

• 2015-02-03 16:36
  • 3YMb

Device uses normal sim, not mini sim.

• 2015-02-03 16:32
  • 3YMb
  • F

> In reply to McQ @ 2011-11-26 02:40 from S6ZR - click to readGuys, I'm back with competent impressions, as promised.

I just closed a 3rd year of continuous (and relentless) use of my HTC Desire Z. It served me very, very well - of course, in return for proper maintenance. And also because I didn't expect it to perform like e.g. a Nexus 4 would. Just yesterday I replaced it with a Moto E which came in free with a contract renewal, NOT because "Z" isn't good enough anymore - on the contrary, "Z" still has pretty much to offer, at least to a less demanding user.

From my own experience - "Z" is quite fitting for users who prefer the feel of actual buttons to a touchscreen, and even excellent for users who have never used a touchscreen before, to help them with the transition. My "Z" got me through three years of smartphone use with reliable service and dependable behavior. I did however replace some stock options (keyboard, launcher, camera...) with 3rd-party apps (Smart Keyboard, Smart Launcher 2, Camera360 Memento...) - and they amazingly worked better and smoother then the pre-installed. Furthermore: QuickOffice works smooth, Pixlr Express is excellent. Some apps became heavy and slowed down a bit with each update, so I kept FB to the stock version, as well as G-Talk and SoundHound. Gmail remains as barebone as in 2010 - compared to the latest color-book update for KitKat is almost artistically simple. To my surprise "Z" handles easily a comfortable range of game apps. I regularly used device maintenance apps (lately Clean Master) which assured balanced & efficient use of hardware resources (especially RAM), which greatly helped in preserving them operational and safe.

Although the number of Froyo and Gingerbread OS users is getting smaller every day (currently below 9% of all Android users), still there is a generous and quite sufficiently equipped app market out there to allow older phones a significantly prolonged age of service, almost without limitations. Furthermore, the Android developer community has been for years now so diligent and efficient that there are non-commercial alternatives to the official Android OS (such as the brilliant Cyanogenmod OS, or community-verified/approved custom ROMs) that are quite often better and much less demanding then a stock Android in terms of options and capabilities offered, as well as CPU, RAM and battery use.

Bottom line: I wholeheartedly recommend "Z"! If you have relatively modest expectations, and are prepared to invest minor efforts (free of charge) in upgrade and maintenance "Z" is still a gem. In fact, I think any user could stay with their favorite old gadget for a while longer and also save money on new purchases following these general principles.

Hope this helps.

• 2014-11-14 14:07
  • S6ZR

> In reply to sal @ 2014-07-12 11:44 from IaHa - click to readu can buy it on aliexpress

• 2014-10-08 14:42
  • tufx
  • Ash_From WestLondon
  • Rating0

I bought this phone in 2012 for £110 pounds, Manufacturer refurbished to a Grade B Lvl.

Its my all time favorite phone.
The fact that its got QWERTY and Full touch Screen is so handy.

Plus with it being a HTC, the interface and usability is really really good. Such a cleaver phone.

Four years old but still smarter than some of these new phones believe me. This phones ideal for anyone who wants every modern phone feature without the price tag.

look on ebay for refurbished ones for under £100.

• 2014-09-01 15:39
  • nueG

> In reply to aitolu @ 2014-01-26 15:44 from N9@S - click to readWill you please tell me how to root it

• 2014-08-06 19:26
  • v{%P

I need this phone but unable to buy from market please begin its market as many of my friends need this phone htc desire z .

• 2014-07-12 11:44
  • IaHa

> In reply to Headwesty @ 2014-07-02 14:16 from MM8D - click to readThanks :)
I Have Amaze. I did Unlock, Root, S-off, Super CID.
It's a pain, but it's worth it :)
I'll buy Desire Z ASAP :)

• 2014-07-02 23:40
  • j0c1

> In reply to Rezaaa @ 2014-05-06 21:16 from B}pp - click to readI loaded CyanogenMod 7 on mine and chucked out all the bloat. Gave it a new lease of life (though the flashing is a bit tortuous involving a downgrade to 2.2 Froyo first!)

• 2014-07-02 14:16
  • MM8D

Had one for almost 4 years and there's nothing to touch it. Bought an HTC One X+ off a mate and ended up flogging it and going back to the Desire Z. I would regard myself as a Power User and I've never had RAM/ROM or battery problems (though I do keep it tidy ;-). Anyone who says you do hasn't really got one...

Surely there are enough people out there who want a slide-out keyboard for at least one manufacturer to make one??

• 2014-07-02 14:12
  • MM8D

Exelent phone

• 2014-06-23 14:25
  • pp@f

Horrible phone, OVERPRICED AND OVERRATED. Battery needs to be charged every now and then, goes without charging for 12 hours MAX if used moderately. 512mb RAM results in lag while playing games. I could go on and on about the things that are wrong with this phone. Absolutely not recommended. Go look for some other phones of the same price range, u WILL regret it if u buy this excuse of a good phone!

• 2014-06-16 17:36
  • iwv@

its cool but it is horizontal in view.

• 2014-06-06 23:10
  • fuNc

I'm planning to buy this phone. And flash a custom rom on it.
Shall I buy it? I'd love my phone to have physical qwerty keyboard.
I was using Nokia 9500 for 7 years :)

• 2014-05-06 21:16
  • B}pp

> In reply to MACSPLENDID @ 2014-01-17 14:57 from N9@S - click to readDid you flash a bad rom?

• 2014-01-31 18:25
  • 0ISD

I've been using it since the past 6months now, and i've had no complaints about it, except overheating and i guess thats due to it metallic nature... I also recently rooted and upgraded to ICS and its sooo awesome now (i am not looking forward to buy any phone soon ;D)

• 2014-01-26 15:44
  • N9@S
Total of 1476 user reviews and opinions for HTC Desire Z.