HTC Desire Z - user opinions and reviews

HTC

7.3
7.2
7.0

> In reply to McQ @ 2011-11-26 02:40 from S6ZR - click to readGuys, I'm back with competent impressions, as promised.

I just closed a 3rd year of continuous (and relentless) use of my HTC Desire Z. It served me very, very well - of course, in return for proper maintenance. And also because I didn't expect it to perform like e.g. a Nexus 4 would. Just yesterday I replaced it with a Moto E which came in free with a contract renewal, NOT because "Z" isn't good enough anymore - on the contrary, "Z" still has pretty much to offer, at least to a less demanding user.

From my own experience - "Z" is quite fitting for users who prefer the feel of actual buttons to a touchscreen, and even excellent for users who have never used a touchscreen before, to help them with the transition. My "Z" got me through three years of smartphone use with reliable service and dependable behavior. I did however replace some stock options (keyboard, launcher, camera...) with 3rd-party apps (Smart Keyboard, Smart Launcher 2, Camera360 Memento...) - and they amazingly worked better and smoother then the pre-installed. Furthermore: QuickOffice works smooth, Pixlr Express is excellent. Some apps became heavy and slowed down a bit with each update, so I kept FB to the stock version, as well as G-Talk and SoundHound. Gmail remains as barebone as in 2010 - compared to the latest color-book update for KitKat is almost artistically simple. To my surprise "Z" handles easily a comfortable range of game apps. I regularly used device maintenance apps (lately Clean Master) which assured balanced & efficient use of hardware resources (especially RAM), which greatly helped in preserving them operational and safe.

Although the number of Froyo and Gingerbread OS users is getting smaller every day (currently below 9% of all Android users), still there is a generous and quite sufficiently equipped app market out there to allow older phones a significantly prolonged age of service, almost without limitations. Furthermore, the Android developer community has been for years now so diligent and efficient that there are non-commercial alternatives to the official Android OS (such as the brilliant Cyanogenmod OS, or community-verified/approved custom ROMs) that are quite often better and much less demanding then a stock Android in terms of options and capabilities offered, as well as CPU, RAM and battery use.

Bottom line: I wholeheartedly recommend "Z"! If you have relatively modest expectations, and are prepared to invest minor efforts (free of charge) in upgrade and maintenance "Z" is still a gem. In fact, I think any user could stay with their favorite old gadget for a while longer and also save money on new purchases following these general principles.

Hope this helps.

• 2014-11-14 14:07
  • S6ZR

> In reply to sal @ 2014-07-12 11:44 from IaHa - click to readu can buy it on aliexpress

• 2014-10-08 14:42
  • tufx
  • Ash_From WestLondon
  • Rating0

I bought this phone in 2012 for £110 pounds, Manufacturer refurbished to a Grade B Lvl.

Its my all time favorite phone.
The fact that its got QWERTY and Full touch Screen is so handy.

Plus with it being a HTC, the interface and usability is really really good. Such a cleaver phone.

Four years old but still smarter than some of these new phones believe me. This phones ideal for anyone who wants every modern phone feature without the price tag.

look on ebay for refurbished ones for under £100.

• 2014-09-01 15:39
  • nueG

> In reply to aitolu @ 2014-01-26 15:44 from N9@S - click to readWill you please tell me how to root it

• 2014-08-06 19:26
  • v{%P

I need this phone but unable to buy from market please begin its market as many of my friends need this phone htc desire z .

• 2014-07-12 11:44
  • IaHa

> In reply to Headwesty @ 2014-07-02 14:16 from MM8D - click to readThanks :)
I Have Amaze. I did Unlock, Root, S-off, Super CID.
It's a pain, but it's worth it :)
I'll buy Desire Z ASAP :)

• 2014-07-02 23:40
  • j0c1

> In reply to Rezaaa @ 2014-05-06 21:16 from B}pp - click to readI loaded CyanogenMod 7 on mine and chucked out all the bloat. Gave it a new lease of life (though the flashing is a bit tortuous involving a downgrade to 2.2 Froyo first!)

• 2014-07-02 14:16
  • MM8D

Had one for almost 4 years and there's nothing to touch it. Bought an HTC One X+ off a mate and ended up flogging it and going back to the Desire Z. I would regard myself as a Power User and I've never had RAM/ROM or battery problems (though I do keep it tidy ;-). Anyone who says you do hasn't really got one...

Surely there are enough people out there who want a slide-out keyboard for at least one manufacturer to make one??

• 2014-07-02 14:12
  • MM8D

Exelent phone

• 2014-06-23 14:25
  • pp@f

Horrible phone, OVERPRICED AND OVERRATED. Battery needs to be charged every now and then, goes without charging for 12 hours MAX if used moderately. 512mb RAM results in lag while playing games. I could go on and on about the things that are wrong with this phone. Absolutely not recommended. Go look for some other phones of the same price range, u WILL regret it if u buy this excuse of a good phone!

• 2014-06-16 17:36
  • iwv@

its cool but it is horizontal in view.

• 2014-06-06 23:10
  • fuNc

I'm planning to buy this phone. And flash a custom rom on it.
Shall I buy it? I'd love my phone to have physical qwerty keyboard.
I was using Nokia 9500 for 7 years :)

• 2014-05-06 21:16
  • B}pp

> In reply to MACSPLENDID @ 2014-01-17 14:57 from N9@S - click to readDid you flash a bad rom?

• 2014-01-31 18:25
  • 0ISD

I've been using it since the past 6months now, and i've had no complaints about it, except overheating and i guess thats due to it metallic nature... I also recently rooted and upgraded to ICS and its sooo awesome now (i am not looking forward to buy any phone soon ;D)

• 2014-01-26 15:44
  • N9@S

my htc desire z always shows (com.phone.android has stopped working unexpectedly) and then switches off and restarting itself several times.

• 2014-01-17 14:57
  • N9@S

My HTC Desire Z G2 is broken I've have been used it for 2 years from now., but now., the touchscreen is not working the cellphone technician said it was the FLEX on it was broken but others say its the TOUCHSCREEN Needs for REPLACEMENT .. do u have any information where to buy the parts here in the Philippines/ metro manila area only.. thanks.. email me @ zorogates@yahoo.com thanks.

• 2014-01-10 20:50
  • 7XHj

Been user it for over 3 years. Still works great. Know others who used it up to 2 years. Had to replace the screen for one of them tho.

Haven't had a problem with the querty but it does pick up a nasy grease. Been thinking of pulling mine apart to see if I can clean it but then again all keys work great so I'll probally won't.

Didn't find a proper upgrade for it but it is a little under powered and has a small screen these days.

Going to use a S4 mini until I can get or import a good querty replacement.

• 2013-12-30 03:59
  • n9tu

> In reply to RadioDJ105 @ 2013-12-18 15:55 from nmx4 - click to readhere i made a small tutorial how to repair the keyboard without disassembling the phone
[REPAIR] HTC Desire Z bad keyboard contacts WITH PHOTOS

• 2013-12-30 00:10
  • LaDI

After one year of normal use, the querty had some problems.
Sometimes, I press a letter and it was typed two times.
Other times, the same letter, I pressed it twice to be displayed once!
I return it for a service.
The replace my phone with another one.
Now, (after almost one year), I face the same problem to the second mobile the gave me.

• 2013-12-18 15:55
  • nmx4
Total of 1471 user reviews and opinions for HTC Desire Z.