HTC Desire Z - user opinions and reviews

HTC

7.3
7.2
7.0

> In reply to exN8fan @ 2010-10-12 09:24 from kM9W - click to readBy the way, I am also an exN8fan who's going for the Desire Z now.
But still, the N8 is a fantastic phone with lots of things I will miss in the Desire HD. Chronologically:
1.FM transmitter (I have no AD2P on my car stereo)
2.USB on the go
3.HDMI (although the DLNA makes up for a lot :D)

• 2010-10-13 10:09
  • MAVb

> In reply to exN8fan @ 2010-10-12 09:24 from kM9W - click to readShuuuure, I'll quickly download a 700MB movie through dropbox on my cell phone... so much easier than copy paste

come on, even on a desktop computer, online storage is not interesting yet due to the low download and especially low upload speeds (at least here in Belgium)

I don't want to spend like half of my 2GB data plan to one movie, which I can copy faster an easier with a simple cable I always put in my backpack (or handbag if you're a woman or something in between :D )

• 2010-10-13 10:05
  • MAVb

> In reply to Stuntman @ 2010-10-12 22:01 from NGfv - click to readJust check what the differences are between desire Z and Nokia E7 and decide on that...

shouldn't be to hard to make a decision, for me it's the Desire Z all the way, although if the Desire Z would not have existed, I would have gone for the E7

• 2010-10-13 10:00
  • MAVb

I currently own an N97 and am looking possible replacements for it. I love the qwerty keyboard, so right now, I'm considering the HTC Desire Z as well as the Nokia E7. The Desire Z has a better UI and screen resolution. The E7 is more familiar to me, has a bigger screen and would be an easier transition.

• 2010-10-12 22:01
  • NGfv

So, the only downside I see to this phone (as opposed to my N97) is the internal memory... At 1.5GB it make my 32GB N97 a champion... But my N97 fails everywhere else. I think I'll use it as an MP3 player when I get this phone haha.

• 2010-10-12 19:02
  • NZFW

> In reply to exN8fan @ 2010-10-12 09:24 from kM9W - click to readThe camera on N8 is absurd and to bulky for being on a mobile phone.
If you want to use USB on-the-go you always have to carry the extra adapter-cable with you and I do not think many users will actually do that so the USB on-the-go is pointless.

• 2010-10-12 12:17
  • n4xw

I was also considering getting a N8 but then I looked more and more into the HTC Desire Z and I have grown to like it. I do think that it looks nicer than the N8 however, I wish we were able to choose the different colors. Also about the usb-on-the-go subject, i read that there is an app called dropbox. You first install it on your computer and than on your phone, when you do this you are able to see the files you stored in the dropbox in either your phone or your computer, essentially a wireless way of file sharing.
And yes I will be giving up that 12 megapixel camera but i'm sure a 5 megapixel will do just fine.
overall, i have been looking for a phone with a physical keyboard and it was either the desire z or even the the Nokia E7, but it just seems as though the desire z has won me over

• 2010-10-12 09:24
  • kM9W

Mmmm i think HTC is great , but i've never tried android till now , and am afraid am not gonna like it

• 2010-10-11 23:49
  • 0ZUK

is the black yes

• 2010-10-11 18:02
  • n4KM

Is this the Black version of Desire Z? Or is it just bad lighting in the video? At 1.23 the back cover is a lot darker than the normal silver/grey version. Would prefer the Desire Z in black, but that's just my preference.

• 2010-10-11 16:47
  • 32MB

one day google will impose to install on the SD

• 2010-10-11 15:52
  • n4KM

> In reply to hayato @ 2010-10-11 10:58 from t7X2 - click to read2.2 support installation on sd, but not all apps support this yet and most apps do not install completely on sd but install some, not so small, parts on internal memory, but 1.5 gb internal memory should be more than enough.
I think app-store have a few more better games, but Android Market have a lot, many, better games... than Nokias appstore/market.
USB on-the-go would be a "good" thing if the phone have minimum 480 x 800 pixels and large internal ram and if you would not need an adapter-cable or it atleast was a combined masstorage/charger/USB-on-the-go cable. USB on-the-go on N8, or any Symbian phone, is pointless. Masstorage is more than enough for everyone. N8 is NOT a "computer" and editing dokuments without dedicated qwerty keyboard is a pain when the onscreen qwerty takes most of the already to few pixels on N8 screen. I think you and most buyers will be disappointed with USB on-the-go, and very few will carry the extra adapter-cable with them all day anyway so then USB on-the-go definetly is pointless.
I was a Nokia-fan until N97 mini totally disappointed me, and when I decided to try a Android-phone I was "blown away" and amazed by how much better Android actually is than Symbian. Upgrade to a Android-phone and you will not be disappointed and will never ever turn back to Symbian again. Those who say they went back to Symbian from Android are lying, or they bought Galaxy S and did not even dare root it and install "lagfix" to fix its problems. Android is very much better than Symbian, including Symbian3.
Managing files, Freedom, Good apps..., are all much better and easier on an Android-phone than on a Symbian-phone.
Android 2.2 gives you full flash 10.1 while Symbian3 only have "flashlite" and does not work on every flash 10.1 site and is often very laggy on sites where it actually "work".

• 2010-10-11 12:26
  • n4xw

> In reply to TC @ 2010-10-10 23:26 from 0Tqy - click to readOk, how bout the OS? I heard 2.2 will now support installation on sd cards? That true? Any good games on android market just like in appstore?

I don't aggree on the USB OTG part, since it's one of the reason i'm confused between the two phones anyway. So it's not pointless, i think it's very useful.

You can convince me in a less harsh way. And besides, all that's needed to be known on n8 and symbian is already well-known to me. No need to discuss about n8. It's desire Z and android I want to know about.

Managing files? Freedom? Good apps? Guys, tell me. Upgrade to android 3, is it possible?

• 2010-10-11 10:58
  • t7X2

Best phone ever and the beautifulest xD

• 2010-10-11 00:51
  • n4KM

> In reply to hayato @ 2010-10-10 16:02 from t7X2 - click to readZ has DLNA so no need for HDMI. USB on-the-go is pointless because only 360x640 makes watching movies and editing dokuments a pain, and do you really want to carry 2 cables with you always, 1 for usb-masstorage/charging and another for usb-host adapter? Only 256 mb ram, slow processor and small battery and Symbian... N8 does not even come close to Z.

• 2010-10-10 23:26
  • 0Tqy

> In reply to Matt @ 2010-10-07 10:16 from MAVb - click to readI know. I think this is the best looking htc phone ever. Desire hd is ugly(i just realized). It's so big, now it's over rated too. I really think desire Z deserves more hype. I mean, just look at the pictures. Seriously, i can clearly see myself typing with that keyboard. I can see myself enjoying this phone.

But it is expensive, and cost more than n8, which is my first choice. And choosing desire Z will result to many compromises (based on the things i know n8 can do but not sure if desZ can do the same, except the hw w/c is obvious). The price being the main turn off.

I'm loving desire Z. But i can only choose one, given the circumstances i'm more likely inclined to n8. Please help me decide by posting good points about the OS. I want to give desire Z a chance. Let's give this forum more life. :)

• 2010-10-10 16:02
  • t7X2

> In reply to TC @ 2010-10-07 20:27 from J5WV - click to readDont worry some loner with nothing to do but sit in front of his computer screen will find a way to get pass this.

• 2010-10-09 19:53
  • IB{G

> In reply to hayato @ 2010-10-09 16:03 from t7X2 - click to readThis phone is very good. Carl Zeiss is for Nokia...

• 2010-10-09 17:03
  • Laxd

This is what i get from staring at you for a long time. Another device to add on my confusion. Wish i could just throw in some elements i like from other handsets in the desire z's form to make it more perfect. (eg. Super amoled, 12mp carl zeiss, usb-otg, etc.)

But i guess that'll never happen. We can't have everything in one. :(

• 2010-10-09 16:03
  • t7X2

> In reply to Matt @ 2010-10-08 16:32 from MAVb - click to readWhat is this all about?? I am not an english person, so I didn't really understand what he means. Please explain it.

• 2010-10-08 22:41
  • LaxY
Total of 1469 user reviews and opinions for HTC Desire Z.