HTC One S - user opinions and reviews

HTC

7.4
7.2
7.4

I've had the black version of this phone for a while, and I have to say, it performed superbly the past year I've had it. First, it's quite thin, and I have to say, it felt great in my pocket, and felt lightweight in my hand, and was comfy to hold. The ceramic feel of the phone did provide some grip but was otherwise smooth. The ceramic's smooth appearance doesn't last long either; you'll start to see the grey metal underneath reveal itself after quite a few charges, but it still holds up decently. It also unpleasantly attracts sweat, so I recommend a case. The Gorilla Glass does its job as well; I've dropped this svelte baby a couple of times but the screen miraculously stayed solid and refused to spiderweb easily. The only impact that was noticeable was a small white dent on the edge of the screen, but that was pretty much the only damage it's taken. I recommend purchasing Diztronic's case on Amazon or Ebay, it's a great case and the matte texture provides more grip and the case properly covers the phone up with little space and retains its svelte size and weight. The screen protector that comes along with it is also a great one despite its seemingly cheap exterior.
Specs-wise, the phone is fluid and smoothly processes everything. I've never had much lag except for a small jutter here and there, but nevertheless it was smooth sailing.
Storage wise, it's sad the battery isn't removable nor there's an SD card slot, but that's the price for making the phone as thin as possible, and it's worth it. One thing to note is that you don't get completely 16 GBs; the system takes up 4 GB; leaving 2 GB for apps and 10GB for music. The amount of crapware on this is cumbersome, and I recommend rooting your phone to take advantage of that precious storage, as you'll need it. I was able to store up to 256 songs so far on this, with each either being MP3 and OGG files of 10-15MBs, and FLAC files of 20-25MBs each, and there was still a great deal of 7GB to spare. The 1650mAh battery provides decent power, and I was able to last about roughly 4 hours at 70% brightness, a few videos, some YouTube, and some app usage, and an hour of constant music playback. This is still a phone that demands a charge every night. Now, onto the display. The AMOLED screen is great; decent viewing angles in the sun, although you'll still have to bump up the brightness to 100 to remotely even view anything, and it certainly does its job of keeping the phone's weight slim and saving up the battery. Note, however, the RGB matrix is the accursed PenTile, and you can identify the pixels by looking really closely at the screen, but this isn't really bothersome in everyday daily usage, so not to fear! The resolution is a let-down as well, but pixel density is a nice 256ppi, so text will come out clear. However, it'd be nice if HTC didn't replicate the Sensation in this department and instead outfitted the One S with a 720p display at the very least. Nevertheless, I give the screen a rating of 6/10. Not bad. Sound playback is also great, but the stock HTC player and Google Play don't match up well imo. I recommend getting Poweramp to negate this.
And the camera. This isn't a portable Canon, but HTC's new camera tech does provide decent lighting and nice options. The lack of autofocus is really annoying, though, as it inhibited my ability to take a good selfie. The camera's decent, but don't expect any breathtaking portraits. I never really tested the video, but it was somewhat fluid and ran nicely, so it's fine. However, the colors are rather parched slightly, and light does become rather puzzling and drained, so that's one thing to look out for.
In general, I give this phone a 7/10. Not a powerhouse, but it's a great fighter.

• 2014-07-30 22:22
  • Rje%

> In reply to Tell @ 2014-07-19 16:47 from f43i - click to readmine too network is not working. no network signal

• 2014-07-29 14:51
  • mcuw

ma network signal is off.... i change in different sim but still no network... please help me

• 2014-07-29 14:45
  • mcuw

The HTC ONE S is one of the best phones I've ever had. I started using it in March 2013. The 8mp camera is great - pix & videos, signal strength is great 95% of the time, WiFi is great 99% of the time, storage is very good, wish it had a micro SD card slot though. I get about 1.5-2 days use before recharging and I talk, text, & use WiFi alot. Pix are great and easy to download. Fast response time on the web. Some nice features like taking pix while shooting vids, easy to use multiple tabs while online, great texting, slim light weight design, very durable - I've dropped it over a dozen times and just the Gorilla case is cracked - the phone is still intact and perfect. I highly recommend this phone for the average and novice user, great for regular every day use and it's tough enough to handle regular useage too.

• 2014-07-29 10:33
  • R3Dg

Hi ,I'm from Iran ( Teheran ) , I have bought HTC one S last year , but from the first days , while using , it gets warm , I have to charge it 2 times every day .
Nowadays it misses the Anten and impossible to phone at all.
Please let me know if you could help me in this respect .
Thanks a lot and best regards
Lili

• 2014-07-21 09:39
  • B}dr

I am having signal problem with my HTC One S phone, Can someone advise me how to boost the signal.

• 2014-07-19 16:47
  • f43i

i ve uesd this set for about 1.5 yrs... overall its a great device according to its price...battery life is good...front camera is not good...i m satisfied with htc

• 2014-07-18 19:02
  • K2EW

> In reply to zaibi @ 2014-07-15 21:17 from 258B - click to readI have htc one s and it is a very good phone. The battery life resist even 3 days if you will not use it to often. Cam is decent having 8 mp and the dual core cpu with 1700ghz does its job well. Only game I played was fifa 2012 on it. The space of the phone is not very big, no card supported, but enough for me. Overall it is a good phone,what I don't like it is that I want a bigger screen and a better camera for small family video. This cam stabilization sensor is next so for that you will need a newer phone.

• 2014-07-16 16:03
  • n2xb

> In reply to zaibi @ 2014-07-15 21:17 from 258B - click to readdont go for both of them.. buy HTC 8S its great :)

• 2014-07-16 11:36
  • 6Qfc

Can anyone please tell me about HTC AMAZE and HTC ONE S which one is better? , I wanna buy one of these phones... plz tell me

• 2014-07-15 21:17
  • 258B

my phone stuck on edge can not turn to 3g what can i do to make it to 3g

• 2014-07-15 10:41
  • N9LC

am using htc one s but i cant use wi fi on mi fone can some one hlp me nd how can i upgread mi htc one s pls any help

• 2014-07-14 14:39
  • NwLN

My HTC one S cannot play video files over 1gb ...and I need advice on whether I should get a new phone or not ....I love to watch movies

• 2014-07-09 13:35
  • fsWq

I need help, i have just bought my phone but the screen turned grey all of a sudden, i cant view anything but it can charge and when i call it rings but i cant see anything. Am disappointed and i need advice

• 2014-06-30 08:36
  • fuSs

no battery backup....horrible

• 2014-06-12 14:22
  • vw0H

> In reply to francis23 @ 2014-05-25 01:48 from vxd0 - click to readHold power button, then let go, after u let go if the orange light turns off the phone will turn within 5-10 seconds.

• 2014-06-09 17:58
  • kC2f

htc one s better than lumia 820

• 2014-06-07 17:02
  • uv{Z

Htc one s and htc one x which one is better ?

• 2014-06-05 00:42
  • Nqse

htc one s and lumia 820 please which one is better

• 2014-06-01 15:12
  • fuvG

> In reply to mzedayda @ 2014-05-16 12:35 from 6qW9 - click to readWhat about it's battery, how long it works?

• 2014-06-01 09:38
  • 6Qfn
Total of 2081 user reviews and opinions for HTC One S.