LG GT540 Optimus - user opinions and reviews

LG

6.6
6.7
6.6

Hi all. Im curious to know if the Optimus can view youtube, as nearly all phones on o2 pay and go have video streaming removed. Thanks

• 2010-07-21 11:49
  • 39yn

I bought this phone a couple of weeks ago and am very happy with it.

As a first time smartphone user I am the intended audience for this phone. I don't want a contract but neither can I bring myself to pay a lot for a phone, so up to now Smartphones have been off the agenda for me. Unsurprisingly, then, it was the price that attracted me to this phone, and the fact that it was one of the very few PAYG phones with WiFi - I paid £150 for the phone on O2 PAYG.

The main review is right in that the phone is perfectly pitched at it's intended audience. I don't feel too deprived that the version of Android is 1.6. I don't miss pinch and drag zooming in the browser (although if you download xScope G browser you do get double tap then drag zooming using one thumb/finger!). It does everything I wanted it to do and more.

I just want to correct one or two things I've noticed in the main review and in comments below...

1) The on screen dialler & messaging buttons (on either side of the menu button) can actually be customised. Just open the menu, drag a short cut out and drop it on the button you want to change.

2) Also wanted to mention the Xscope G browser's zooming ability - with this you do get one thumb/finger zooming. This is free from the Market (it's basically like a mobile version of Chrome).

3) To the user below who is using too much credit while on Market - it's probably using your credit to use background data instead of your WiFi. The best way to prevent this is to download APNdroid which will prevent your apps from connecting via anything other than WiF. WiFi does not use your credit - it uses your router just like your computer does. If you go too far from your router then your apps are going to try to get online using your calling credit.

• 2010-07-21 08:32
  • 0FcZ

> In reply to RottenFoxBreath @ 2010-07-19 19:50 from m7HK - click to read@ Freefaller, what tariff are you on?, and have you dialed "4444" on o2, and pressed "2", then "2" again, to check your credit/remaining internet usage, if you are on text & web, as any other tariff you will be charged for internet usage, unless it's a bolt on...

It could even be whatever app is charging you, or another issue, has eaten the 500meg of limit, and now you are getting charged for usage.

• 2010-07-19 19:52
  • m7HK

> In reply to Freefaller @ 2010-07-19 18:41 from myej - click to read@ Freefaller, It won't be Wi-fi, as Wi-fi has nothing to do with o2 and it's settings are independant of o2's charging network, don't believe me, then ask them!

Are you sure you are on a tariff, which lets you use the mobile network?

I just disabled mobile network, and tried to use the net, and the market, and no charge, my credit stays the same.
So, its either your tariff that's the issue, or an app either using background data, or having access to the mobile network constantly.

If you disable mobile network, and use wi-fi set up with your own router/internet settings, you won't be charged anything..

• 2010-07-19 19:50

Question to RottenFoxBreath....

I posted before about my credit being swallowed up on O2 PAYG. I thought it was a Flip Clock updating, but I have now discovered that it is Wi-Fi that is the problem. If I enable the Wi-Fi on my GT540 and goto Android Market, my credit goes down alarmingly, but if I enable the Wi-Fi on my Nokia 5530 and get apps for it I don't get charged. It doesn't make sense. Any solution ?

• 2010-07-19 18:41
  • myej

> In reply to charlie @ 2010-06-22 16:53 from TREU - click to readI have the same problem, did you get yours sorted?. If you did I would like to know how you did it. I dont know what language I have.

• 2010-07-19 17:55
  • nyZ{

> In reply to RottenFoxBreath @ 2010-07-19 16:46 from m7HK - click to readjust to add, the only 2 i have tested are the o2, and Orange models, but seeing as the phone uses a modified Android 1.6 system, and is pretty standard from country to country, the only difference being the APN's, languages and network tweaks that phone companies make, i would say Bluetooth file transfers, will be standard on them all.

• 2010-07-19 16:49
  • m7HK

> In reply to Anonymous @ 2010-07-19 16:37 from 04Qu - click to read@ Anonymous who said:

"but in the review, in the connectivity part it says : "For local connectivity, there's Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 2.1 (just the headset profile though, you can't send or receive files unless you pay the Android Market a visit and get the free Bluetooth File Transfer app)."

Don't believe all you read in previews, sorry, reviews..lol.

I can assure you, the UK o2, and Orange models, will transfer files from 1 phone to another without the need for any apps.

to get my contacts from my old phone, i used Bluetooth, and have just tested Bluetooth again, with the o2 GT540, and an o2 Samsung D900, and it transfered the files in seconds, no apps needed, other than enabling Bluetooth on each phone.

• 2010-07-19 16:46
  • m7HK

> In reply to RottenFoxBreath @ 2010-07-19 16:26 from m7HK - click to readbut in the review, in the connectivity part it says : "For local connectivity, there's Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 2.1 (just the headset profile though, you can't send or receive files unless you pay the Android Market a visit and get the free Bluetooth File Transfer app)."

• 2010-07-19 16:37
  • 04Qu

> In reply to Anonymous @ 2010-07-19 15:35 from 04Qu - click to read@Anonymous saying:
"after installing the Bluetooth File Transfer App from Android Marker, can you send&receive files to/from every phone or...NOT???"

You don't need to install any Bluetooth File Transfer app, as the GT540 can transfer files over Bluetooth straight out of the box.

• 2010-07-19 16:26
  • m7HK

I have one question, after installing the Bluetooth File Transfer App from Android Marker, can you send&receive files to/from every phone or...NOT???

please answer :)

• 2010-07-19 15:35
  • 04Qu

I would like to to give my opinion about price. It would be good if the price of the item is shown.

With thanks.

• 2010-07-18 11:50
  • N9WL

> In reply to Akash from nepal @ 2010-07-16 17:07 from u104 - click to readwith android 1.6 this phone is too much expensive. 20000 is suitable for this

• 2010-07-18 10:31
  • PAXk

> In reply to RottenFoxBreath @ 2010-07-16 13:41 from m7HK - click to read Hi thanks will give it a look now cheers again will let you know

• 2010-07-18 00:38
  • mEkg

> In reply to [deleted post]bought my optimus yesterday at blanchardstown meteor store, it cost 165 which includes 20 insurance, it's my first smart phone and still trying to use it

• 2010-07-17 19:07
  • nyAg

I just got this phone last week and i can only say its awesome! the battery life is amazing! also the spefications is wrong on this site, talk time is less on a 3g network because it requires more battery life so how is it 720 hours its like 320 hours, but really thats only if you turn the brightness to 0, wifi and bluetooth off and other things off to talk that much, you will never really talk that much on a single charge maybe about a couple of hours i guess

• 2010-07-17 10:19
  • nsLx

Lg gt540 optimus prices in nepal rs.26,499

• 2010-07-16 17:07
  • u104

> In reply to Kev @ 2010-07-16 03:45 from mE0V - click to read@ kev,

You could always try this method:

should be pretty easy sailing.

• 2010-07-16 13:41
  • m7HK

> In reply to Palers @ 2010-07-15 23:51 from smMq - click to read@ Palers.

When connected to the pc, on the main screen of your phone, press the menu touch sensitive button, select Notifications, then select the SD option that you will see(it will be the only active one, then select "Mount SD"..then when you want to stop it, select "Unmount".

Easier than trawling through your settings, each time, you want to mount or unmount the SD card.

• 2010-07-16 08:14
  • m7HK

> In reply to Anonymous @ 2010-07-15 22:23 from pJBh - click to read@Anonymous saying :
"I phoned O2 customer services and asked them to disable my GPRS, That way you wont connect to there internet services. You can still use it on your own wifi or hot spots."

---Wow!! what a waste of a phone call, why not just disable "Mobile Network" in your Wireless settings??

• 2010-07-16 08:11
  • m7HK
Total of 2533 user reviews and opinions for LG GT540 Optimus.