great looking phone but does it have any additional software to download.
Anyone tried using a MicroSD in the Shine yet? Put one full of mp3's in the slot (eventually - the manual tells you to put it in the wrong way up), which it recognises but thinks it is blank. Strange, works in the SLVR, any ideas?
Anyone else with one of these phones confirm this bug I have found? I am on my second Shine. If you delete a ringtone from the MP3 playlist and have it selected as a ringtone the phone will not play it when you get a call. Instead you get one of the alarm tunes. Also if you get a call from someone with an assigned ringtone and then from someone without an assigned ringtone it uses the ringtone assigned to the previous caller.
does anyone know if this phone have speakerphone, because my chocolate didnt have it, and this is off the same black label series????
Does it say it has an FM radio and speaker phone on the specifications page? Damn so hard to just click a link and read.
can someone please tell me if this phone has FM radio and integrated handsfree?
The phone comes with 47MB of internal memory. The 1GB rumour comes from people who read the very initial specs that were released. The 3G version has a 1GB memory chip built in but after they have installed the phones software you are left with around 500MB. The 2G version appears to just have a 512MB chip built in and after softare you are left with just 47MB.
The phone in the link you posted is possibly either an American version or just an early mock up.
are there two versions of the lg shine floating around or something? because i've seen pictures of some with the keypad as posted on gsmarena and some with the keypad as such http://handcellphone.com/wp-co...e-2007-3.jpg almost like the samsung d800. also most sites say it's 1gig internal memory while i've read from another that it's around 50MB with a card slot. can someone clarify?
Yes your opinions are valid. Opinions being opinions and not necessarily fact. People advertising it has having 1GB of memory were going off rumours and initial specs rather than waiting for the official news from LG.
To be honest I was reluctant to buy this as my previous experiences with LG seriously sucked. My P7200 suffered major bugs such as everything running slow. You'd type a message then have to stop and wait for it to catch up. My partner has a Chocolate and even with the ringer volume up full the message alerts are barely audible. This phone is far from bug free as well. As I said I deleted the ringtones from the MP3 playlist and now I can't use them as ringtones. There is slight lateral movement when the slider is open. The time appears twice on the standby screen. There are about 8 tunes you can select as your alarm but you cannot select them as ringtones nor can you select ringtones for the alarm.
To be honest though this is probably the most unique phone to be released in a while. At least LG, unlike Motorola and Samsung, bring out innovative designs.
What happened to the standard built in memory of 1Gb storage?
Thanks for the response and advise.
I'm glad you're happy with the phone, however the points are still valid - at least in the UK, and it is worth being aware rather than falling for the good looks and advertised spec like I did
1 - I purchased phone from a Carphone Warehouse store - their website advertises the (2G) shine as having 1gb - I had read that early phones only had 50mb, so checked with the store and was told it was a 1gb model. This was not correct, nor as advertised online so it pays to be warned and haggle for a card (I traded the free 1gb card for an Strax bluetooth handsfree unit since I had understood that I'd have at least 500mb to use on the phone).
2. Lots of websites state that the LG has Muvee editing software, as well as image editing software. Agan maybe this is not available in UK.
3. Fair point, but I was talking about general (ie long term) useability of the phone - mirrored screens obviously need some gentle care which isn't always possible/practical
4. The scroll bar is often slow to react to 1st, 2nd, 3rd.. click, then cycles through all the missed scrolls so yuo have to wait for it to catch up. Why would it ignore the first 'accidental' movement? - it nearly always jumps when trying to press the scroll bar (and I am gentle with it).
5. Possibly mine is faulty
6. No - I mean that the LG will not react to my Strax (visor) mounted hadsfree unit - all other phones I have tried will allow the Strax to dial out from stored numbers - LG causes 'number error'. And since it hs no voice dialling the problem is worse since you have to manually call the person with the LG then transfer to Strax. This will soon cost 3 points and a fine in the UK while driving.
8. OK - this is still pretty poor for a 'cutting edge' phone that can potentially hold 1000's songs
9. Fair enough, but the operation of the camera and design of phone exagerates any movement
11+12. Again, I am not stating that this is unique, however it is far from ideal for a new phone, and lots of other phones allow you to call while connected to USB.
13. Good idea
14. This may be normal but it is not obvious (ie is not mentioned in manual or any reviews I had seen). Surely digital zoom benifits from the highest res since quality suffers...?
15. Weighed up the pros and cons for my intended use - again I was simply pointing out that for a new phone video res is low.
Apologies if I as harsh - I think the phone is a very nice object (I design for a living), however personally the above points would make it difficult for me to be happy with the hpone long term, and that I would constantly need to be careful with the hpne - OK when it's new but do yuo really want to have to be that careful with an everyday object for 12-18 months....?
I did read as many reviews as possible, however the phone has only been available for a couple of weeks, and most/all of the reviews were 'bloggers' so not as in depth s moe recent ones - and they certainly stated that the phone would have 1gb, Muvee, etc...
I'm not going to argue that the Shine wasn't for you but your points are not valid.
1 - LG never said the phone would have 1GB of memory. The rumours of the 1GB aer from the fact the 3G version does have 1GB of memory with around 500MB used for software.
2 - I never saw anyone saying it had video editing.
3 - Use a soft cloth then same as when cleaning glasses or use the wiper/strap that comes with it.
4 - The scroller doesn't always react to the first movement. This is so it doesn't scroll when you are pressing it it.
5 - Mine is easy to press.
6 - I assume you mean no voice dialling. No it has no voice dialling.
7 - True. Only way to exit camera is to press the End Call button.
8 - Every review I have read has stated the fact that the playlist is made up of somgs in the root of the Sounds foler and is not editable.
9 - Hold your hands steady then.
10 - Yes I have notice slight lateral movement.
11 + 12 - This is the same with a lot of phone as they use the same socket for charging/headset/usb. My Sony W810i is the same.
13 - So assign the second mobile number under a different category such as office or home.
14 - It's digital zoom so of course there is no zoom when using 2MP. No camera that uses digital zoom will let you zoom in on the highest resolution.
15 - You complain about the poor video resolution then buy a Sony?
16 - Yes the default headphones are stylish but don't fit well. As you say you can use any headphones with it.
One big bug I have found and reported to LG. The default ringtones appear in the MP3 playlist. I deleted them from the playlist but now, even though they are still on the phone, I cannot use them as ringtones. They play OK when selecting but not when the phone rings. In fat it plays something that is not even listed in the ringtones bu classed as an alarm tone.
wow,great phone,LG is really going to give tough time to other brands....
what do u say guys???????
it's a real SHINE!!!
fingerprint doesnt matter to me with this gorgeous designnnnnnnn
Had this phone for 5 days, unfortunately after 1st day realised it wasn't for me so am swaping for a K800i (currently have P910i so like Sony interface and have got used to lots of functions hence notes below). Shine is VERY nice to fiddle with, but for various reasons I can imagine getting fed up with it as a phone:
- Only 50mb NOT 1gb as advetised (since 2G not 3G)
- No video editing as advertised
- Looks great, but only if clean and this means risking scratches when wiping
- Scroll wheel temperamental, like a slow pC mouse, often misses movement then you have to wait while it catches up
- Pressure to press scroll wheel is high, but turns v. easily, so often jumps to next ooption when selecting
-Won't interface properly with bluetooth handsfree so have to hold phone to dial
-Camera button starts camera when closed but cannot exit without opening slider
_ No playlist function in MP3
- Camera OK but have to be very gentle with button to prevent blur, which means being slow
- Phone creaks after 1 day when pressing buttons
- Cannot charge via USB and use headset at same time
- Cannot connect via USB and use PHONE at same time!
- Only one mobile no. per contact
- No zoom in highest res (2MP)
- Video res low
- Headphones have long rigid tube and constantly fall out of ears (but at least you can use other headsets with mic/remote).
As I said above, I am used to a PDA style phone, so many people may not care about issues above - and trust me I have tried really hard to like the Shine, but I think LG should have put more effort into making the functionality match the looks - a great 'jewellery' phone.
I've been waiting for the release of this phone for few months now.....
BUT now that it has come out, I think Samsung D840 or D900 has to be better phone.
LG Chocolate had a similar battery life as LG Shine, and I haven't had much problem with it. As long as it lasts two days, phones battery life is fine for me (with moderate use).
If you pop into your local mobile dealer, they'll probably tell you that D840 is the better choice, and I would have to agree...
But if it was my choice pick, I'd still go for the LG Shine.....it's got that