LG Optimus 2X first encounter: How fast is Tegra 2?
Surely 2011 will be remembered as the year that dual-core CPUs made their smartphone breakthrough. Here we have the LG Optimus 2X pioneer and we are rushing to give you a preview of what dual-core CPU has to offer to you today.
Itís not one of our typical previews you will be seeing here Ė we are just going to focus on the performance of the Optimus 2X and hopefully, the Tegra 2 platform it pioneers. Normally, we avoid getting into details about the performance of non-retail units, but this one is so good that it will almost be unfair to save the praise.
But letís first have a look at the key features of the LG Optimus 2X:
- General: Quad-band GSM/GPRS/EDGE support; 3G with HSPA
- Form factor: Touchscreen bar phone
- Dimensions: 123.9 x 63.2 x 10.9 mm, 139 g
- Display: 4" 16M-color TFT LCD capacitive touchscreen, 480 x 800 pixels
- Platform: Dual-core 1GHz ARM Cortex-A9 proccessor, Ultra Low Power GeForce GPU, Tegra 2 chipset
- OS: Android 2.2 (Froyo)
- Memory: 8GB onboard storage, microSD card slot
- Camera: 8 megapixel auto-focus camera with face detection and touch focus; 1080p video recording @ 24fps and 720p@30fps
- Connectivity: Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n, Bluetooth 2.1 with A2DP, standard microUSB port, GPS receiver with A-GPS, 3.5mm audio jack, micro HDMI port
- Misc: Adobe Flash 10.1 support, FM radio, accelerometer, proximity sensor, gyroscope, DivX and Xvid video support up to 1080p
It doesnít take a specialist to recognize that the LG Optimus 2X is the most capable smartphone released to date. You could probably argue whether a Retina screen or a SuperAMOLED arenít contributing more to the general user experience, but as far as smartphone tasks are concerned, the Tegra 2 is what you would want to have by your side.
Of course, that is only valid if the dual-core baby performance cashes all the checks that the LG PR department wrote. Everyone wants to feel a noticeable improvement in performance and unless the Optimus 2X provides, the bubble might burst.
So letís see what those benchmarks have to say about it. Join us after the break.
Reviews > LG Optimus 2X first encounter: How fast is Tegra 2?