LG Optimus G Pro E985 - user opinions and reviews

LG

So this is for people who are experiencing issues while accessing media files after the kitkat update.

Reason: Google acted all cheeky and took off the auto scan feature (used to automatically scan the SD card every time you booted the phone. This was apparently done for a good reason to make it more secure.

I had issues with the phone not identifying the music files on the SD Card. The following players seem to work.

Rocket Player- Has a setting to rescan the device - something I guess you will have to do once you add new music files.
n7player - Has a better interface
Trax Music player - You can access the SD card and play songs in specific folders ( file size is small)

I am sure there are more.

Battery Drain- yes, I faced the issue too. I was crestfallen to see that my phone battery went down from 80% to 2% without any activity (I was sleeping)in 8 hrs. I then drained the battery completely, charged to 100%. For some reason it charges really fast through computer connected USB compared to a proper power connection.

I switched off the auto brightness and installed advanced task killer (scheduled it to kill apps every half an hr)
it has worked and I am keeping my fingers crossed that it will continue. I DON'T want to root my phone as it has been good.

Hope this helps!

• 2014-07-07 20:51
  • XNm0

> In reply to uday @ 2014-07-07 06:28 from uthE - click to readI had similar problem. I had put 7 icons on bottom horizontal bar. When I deleted 2, then with remaing 5 icons (which are there in standard home), Home worked perfectly.
Just thank if it solves your problem.

• 2014-07-07 17:50
  • rJDh

Hi, I have update my E988 to 4.4.2 but home option is not working for me. it says "unfortunately Home has stopped"

• 2014-07-07 06:28
  • uthE

Hi, Updated my G PRO E988 in India on 5th July and used for last two days. For everybody I did hard reset my phone after update as hard reset removes any application/update related bug/functional interference. Below is full hands on experience:

No gos first :

- Battery draining is shocking. Immediately after update, battery dropped from 26% to 15% and same shows in battery usage graph. Got screenshot of the same for LG to analysse.
- Charged full battery y'day to 100% whein I deliberately kept phone plugged for an hour extra even after fully charged to see battery behaviour of overcharge/extra charge.
- Battery draining on 3G network while using phone (not necessary browsing but data is on) is like 1% drop for every two minutes. My battery dropped from 92% to 85% in 15 minutes today morning when I was not browsing but my 3G data was on and I was checking whatsapp messages. Screen is on 60% auto which is pretty dim in room light. Battery draining on 3G network wss like 1% for every 5 minutes on 4.1.
- Network on 3G is not stable and phone keeps looking for network every now and then, it was not the case earlier and not the case with my other number put in Nokia phone having 3G connection.
- Battery dimming on auto mode is too extreme. in 4.1 auto dimming was virtually non functional and now it is too much functional causing eye strain.
- Internal available memory seems to have gone down by some 200 odd mb may be due to update software being larger than earlier one.

Pros
- UI is smooth and more responsive.
- Fonts, themes etc are available thru LG smart world.
- Immersive screen mode is good and exciting.
- RAM manager shows more RAM available than earlier. I noticed that after my normal usage earlier RAM available used to be in the range of 700 mb which is now in 800 mb range so enhancement of 100 mb which is some 10-12% more.
- I m not sure but looks like LED management has improved, earlier I had to install third party application to customise LED alerts but it is working fine with default configuration.
- Standby battery management has improved dramatically e.g. i switched off my data around 10 p.m. y'day night and today morning @ 5.45 a.m. battery had gone down by 1% only but as soon I switched on my 3G data, it straightaway went down by another 1% and then draining quickly.
- Exchange activesyc for corporate mails has improved by providing zoom and text wrapping option which was earlier not available.
- Dialer shows little larger text which is handy for all and good usage of large screen.

Rest I am still testing.. will keep updating others.

• 2014-07-07 03:19
  • rATf

> In reply to Parvez alam @ 2014-07-06 15:43 from KAh$ - click to readHow fast is your battery draining compared to before? And generally are you saying that the update is a wrong move?

• 2014-07-06 19:19
  • fuNc

> In reply to Anonymous @ 2014-07-05 14:58 from fuNc - click to readHi i got OTA update for lg g pro E988 India, everything seems to fine but below are the issues which i am having.

1. After update notification light was not working for whtsapp and other applications except calls, msg but after doing factory reset now led is working (pls take lg back up before factory reset)

2. Battery draining like anything which is very disappoinment.
3. Touch improved UI improved. Now we can download more themes, fonts.from lg smart world. Camera features improved.

I was expecting more changes but i am not fully satisfied..only knock off code recvd..

Main problem is battery draining vert fast

• 2014-07-06 15:43
  • KAh$

> In reply to Vishal @ 2014-07-05 13:44 from PPdd - click to readPerhaps you didnt update well, plus did you factory reset after the update? Pls has any other person encountered this problem with notification light not working with apps like whatsapp, viber, facebook etc except it works only for missed calls and sms?

• 2014-07-05 14:58
  • fuNc

> In reply to gourav @ 2014-07-04 09:30 from t}eH - click to readI got an over the air upgrade for Android Kitkat 4.4.2 for my LG E988 on 1st july 2014.
Though i spammed LG india on twitter like anything.
I was excited about the upgrade but now i feel sad about it.
Notification LED doesnt work for apps other than SMS , Calls and Alarms.
Battery life is screwed.
Auto brightness sucks big time. It dims the screen to an extent that you will end up un-checking auto brightness option.

• 2014-07-05 13:44
  • PPdd

> In reply to Anonymous @ 2014-07-04 05:04 from ITV% - click to readActivate it in the seeting - gesture

• 2014-07-05 06:40
  • 7XMW

> In reply to gourav @ 2014-07-04 09:30 from t}eH - click to readI'm also facing the same problem

• 2014-07-05 02:05
  • Hkq3

> In reply to Anonymous @ 2014-07-02 22:52 from fuNc - click to read**Reposting

So I got it to read the music files in my internak memory. I connected the phone via usb to the pc and selected the 'media sync' option to try and trick it..and well it worked and I am now trying to get the sd card music to be identified

• 2014-07-04 15:57
  • vbLh

> In reply to Anonymous @ 2014-07-02 22:52 from fuNc - click to readHey ...I noticed it and discovered that kitkat does not autoscan the media. It used to scan the sd card when the device was booted when it had jelly bean....it doesn't do that anymore and none of the scan apps help ...i did not try the root based apps cuz I don't want to root this phone

• 2014-07-04 15:54
  • vbLh

Hi All

Please share your experience after 4.4.2 Kitkat update on LG G PRO E988

for Me battery discharging fast and find lag while playing games and and hanging issue

if this problem doesn"t fix in time i would prefer to go Back to 4.1 as it look more stable and fast for me

• 2014-07-04 09:30
  • t}eH

After getting 4.4.2 update Ota. My knock code off function is not working.
any suggestions?

• 2014-07-04 05:04
  • ITV%

> In reply to Anonymous @ 2014-07-02 22:52 from fuNc - click to readWell vry frankly I didn't face any kind of problem as yet. I hv got a 32gb class 10 memory card n my optimus g pro has easily detected it.

• 2014-07-03 10:16
  • fCxq

> In reply to rrits @ 2014-06-29 16:50 from utt9 - click to readI really do not have idea about the registration. I also have the AT&T unlocked phone, when i select the software upgrade option it says your phone not registered. So no idea what needs to do for the kitkat upgrade. Can you any one help on this how to upgrade.

• 2014-07-03 08:45
  • rxiM

could you change from dalvik to art after update or it is hidden?

• 2014-07-03 07:31
  • HFd8

Finally my Lg g pro e988 updated to kitkat 4.4.2 yesterday in Kuwait still testing but feel great :)

• 2014-07-03 06:56
  • 6vvw

> In reply to sam58 @ 2014-07-02 15:50 from fCxq - click to readSomebody reported inability to access music files from memory card after the update, what do you have to say about this ? Did you notice the same thing or you dont use memory card on ur device?

• 2014-07-02 22:52
  • fuNc

> In reply to sam58 @ 2014-07-02 15:50 from fCxq - click to readDid you notice this issue that someone just reported about not being able to read music on his memory card?

• 2014-07-02 22:30
  • fuNc
Total of 2056 user reviews and opinions for LG Optimus G Pro E985.