Microsoft Surface - user opinions and reviews

Microsoft

7.4
7.3
7.3

SURFACE PRO's PPI = 208 !!!

My comparison of the microsoft surface "pro" with other devices. I'll list only those points which make it stand apart from other devices.

Macbook retina:--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Macbook retina ppi : 227
Price : $1699
Os : os x (not for me)
Surface pro ppi: 208
Price : $899 + (keyboard)$100
Os : full windows experience + windows 8 apps + android apps via bluestacks with full support for accelerometer, gyroscope, gps, etc. Its a win win situation. I will be able to run multisim, proteus, xilinx on it coz i am an electronics engineering student. Os x does not have any such softwares and every person has atleast some useful software that dont run on mac. Shame.

Ipad :--
~~~~~~~~
Even though it has 285 ppi but...
Os : ios 6 (joke. Does have a lot of good apps, but none of the ones that i mentioned above. I find it only good for browsing and tablet gaming).

Similar priced laptops :--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Pros : you can get i7. You will get an ssd too (but beware these cheapo ssd will be way slower than the ones that are in higher priced laptops like the mac pros). Dedicated gpu. Although i highly doubt that you will find all those in one laptop, within $999.

Cons : weight ?? Never will you find one thats less than 2 pounds. No pen and touch input. Ppi will be somewhere around 165. Screen quality will not even be close to the surface pro's cleartype full hd display.

Surface pro pros : has one of the fastest ssds out there. Get more with an sdxc card.

Surface pro cons : 64 gb ! Even 128 gb will be tight for me. Only one usb3.0 port. No dedicated gpu. I5 and not i7. But lets face it. I5 is good for almost all tasks. Infact, ssds are more of a bottleneck to user experience of a laptop. And there no laptop or an ultrabook within 2 pounds and at that price which boasts a dedicated gpu. Intel hd4000 will run some pc games. Also with bluestacks i can play my favourite android games that requires touch and accelerometer, easily with no lag at all.

To me the surface pro is a great laptop (or an ultrabook, but not a tablet), with high specs, beautiful hd display that sets a high bar at productivity and portability at an incredible price. Great job, microsoft.

• 2013-01-14 13:42
  • 2SUY

> In reply to shnobly @ 2013-01-06 15:33 from NuVu - click to readThanks for your reply bro. I think you are right. The charger supports volts upto 240 and won't burn as I was afraid of. The only I might require is the charger adapter for flat terminals. Anyways, thanks again for the confirmation.. Much appreciated!

• 2013-01-07 08:12
  • 7j{m

> In reply to ethereal @ 2013-01-04 06:27 from uurk - click to readits universal charge from 110 to 250 V

• 2013-01-06 15:33
  • NuVu

Talk about a crappy display thanks to low res, how do Microsoft expect this to against the iPad4 and Nexus 10??? Both with +250ppi displays!

• 2013-01-06 10:25
  • fqpw

Hello everyone!

I need your help. I have just ordered Surface RT from US to INDIA last night. The problem is I'm not sure if the bundled-charger/voltage is going to be compatible with Indian AC standards. The official specs suggests that the charger is 24W and comes with flat contact terminals. Here's the image :

Kindly help,
Thanks in advance!

• 2013-01-04 06:27
  • uurk

Samsung Ativ Tab is better.

• 2012-12-26 12:15
  • HI80

Just wait for Surface with windows 8 and x86 architchture.On this model you can install normal Microsoft applications. I think surface with windows RT come with ARM Architecture.(With RISC) Processors.Waite for a Intel replacement

• 2012-12-24 13:35
  • tT$j

How to Open App Store,
When click Store,
" sorry you store is not open " region error
who know reply me

• 2012-12-24 12:50
  • vL5y

I not use app store, region error
how can i open store
pls reslove to me
my eamil m2k20099@gmail.com

• 2012-12-24 12:43
  • vL5y

> In reply to beevafaa @ 2012-12-19 14:17 from KcWt - click to readThere is Microsoft Store, all apps and games are inside.

• 2012-12-19 20:40
  • 6j$j

Please help me , i want to decide between IPAD 4 and Surface RT to buy . my question is where can i download and install games and applications for Surface RT ? i searched and could not found games and other application ?

• 2012-12-19 14:17
  • KcWt

> In reply to Vesty @ 2012-12-02 17:00 from I4Sx - click to readDid you drop it on solid concrete? I've dropped mine a good bit from 3/4 feet off the ground and no damage

• 2012-12-19 13:41
  • ptQX

> In reply to Widows Dev @ 2012-12-17 09:13 from 9Lay - click to readWas that supposed to be irony?

• 2012-12-19 13:39
  • ptQX

> In reply to a @ 2012-11-26 04:58 from 2ZYC - click to readWhat an english...so devastating no wonder the world will end on 12.21.2012 due to these people.

• 2012-12-17 09:13
  • 9Lay

nice ,,,,,,,,,,

• 2012-12-16 10:36
  • 9A8x

Only 149 ppi. ????why why why?..ipad 3(4) has 260ppi..asus > 230ppi

• 2012-12-08 10:44
  • mJq6

> In reply to Bryan @ 2012-11-21 10:04 from t75t - click to readYou can't run Android app in iOS and vice versa. It's the developer who will create an app that will work in iOS and create the same app that will work on Android.

• 2012-12-03 11:42
  • jLrK

Wow… such anticipation and such profound disappointment. For those of you out there that have become accustom to superior hardware support, be sure to purchase Microsoft’s “Accidental Damage” warranty which they stick you $100.00 for, because if your new “durable” surface drops two feet to the floor, you should expect it to shatter! I’m out 320.00 to get mine fixed. I just went four rounds with Microsoft over my pre-ordered 64GB surface being damaged by a fairly trivial nudge off the coffee table. I escalated the issue as a manufacturer defect and got nowhere. Spoke to a manager and got nothing. Had a support person on the inside who agreed with me and said they would run it up the ladder and came back three days later with nothing. Shame on you Microsoft. I’ve had several Android tablets, three Kindle’s and numerous portable devices that would have all survived this simple test without issue or concern but not the surface. My 9 year old has been “trying” to break a Toshiba Android Tablet I gave him about a year ago and it just keeps on working! Not only did the case on the surface break, but the glass shattered, and splintered into hundreds of pieces. As an early adopter of Microsoft’s newest piece of hardware, you know the one, in the TV ads, being thrown down pic-nick tables and slammed shut repeatedly, I’ve never been more disappointed. Now, let’s talk about how many things I can’t do yet because no one has an app! Basically I have a 900.00 Netflix machine that I can’t run anything on and I can’t get to my files on Dropbox because there isn’t an app ready yet, (yes, I know you have Sky-Drive, but I don’t care, it took you a year or longer to make Sky-Drive what I already had with Dropbox and I already have it, so give me my files in the cloud!) can’t download any clients because its RT and not Pro, (which seems stupid of me to have ordered, don’t do it). Seemingly I can’t even run Flash driven HTML sites because RT doesn’t like the client! Didn’t Microsoft hammer Apple about Flash? Was the entire technical and software world somehow surprised by Windows 8, or did they just not believe it was ever going to release? I can’t access my Dish Network because there isn’t an app ready, I could go on for dozens of examples. I have never been an early adopter and now I remember why. Microsoft has been mocking Apple for years about their proprietary nature. It would seem they have taken a huge chapter from the Apple guideline with the Windows Surface RT product.
Very disappointed in Microsoft’s less than helpful approach to me as their client. JCV

• 2012-12-02 17:00
  • I4Sx

> In reply to Bryan @ 2012-11-21 10:04 from t75t - click to readBullshit apple ipads or phones can only run applications purchased from their app. Store simmilarly android can run apps purch. From google play store

• 2012-12-01 18:52
  • tY@U

GPS???

• 2012-12-01 09:53
  • stUV
Total of 167 user reviews and opinions for Microsoft Surface.