IT'S AN AWESOME PHONE! I would seriously recommend this phone over the A1200 as the A780 is better made but just a bit heavier thats all. It's very easy to use and quite clear. It also has a keypad in the front, in case you don't want to dial using touch screen (using touch screen around a lot of people will attract attention...and it could get stolen so watch out. If you already own one, get one now! It has everything u need.
well put SaxMan. 1 thing. I changed the brightness to 80% and my battery was dying pretty fast so I changed back to 50%
Answers to EVERYONE's question .....
1. There is currently no Sound Booster available for PDAs using Linux (like the A780). Whoever started this stupid Sound Booster thing was referring to another phone. There is the Sound Booster software for other OSs but not Linux.
2. Anyone looking for a screen protector can buy them in packs on eBay. They are not that useful in my opinion. Protecting your screen from dust is no big deal. If anyone knows how to protect from dents, lemme know. You don't have to worry about scratches on your touchscreen because the flap closes, unlike with other open-faced PDAs.
3. Currently, Yahoo are not allowing Linux PDAs to access their pops mail. Yahoo offers this ability only through the subscription email (the one you pay $19.99 for). You can set it up but it will not receive or send emails. Most people use thier A780 to access work email because companies don't waste their time with stupid pop3 blocks or whatever they are called.
4. You can use your A780 to get MSN instant messenger or Yahoo messenger, but not AIM or AOL messenger. It requires some research though, FYI.
5. The A780 can support up to a 1GB Transflash. I have not tested a higher Transflash because none exists beyond 1GB (as far as I know).
6. The best A780 web browser is Opera Mini. Regular Opera is an insult to technology.
7. There is no software available that will help you create/modify Microsoft Office applications. I guess noone has paid Bill Gates enough money to allow that to happen. So be content with just viewing them, not modifying them.
8. THE BATTERY CAN LAST MORE THAN 24HRS. Mine goes almost 2 days (and that is pushing it for a PDA). I have my GPRS on all the time but I dont turn my Bluetooth on. The secret is to do as much as u can without opening the flip. Using the touchscreen DRAINS battery power. Well, over some time...hehe.
9. Another way to save battery power is to not use Voice Dial, and also turn off the "talking-phone" feature. That stupid thing talks all the damn time. I know it's cool to show people that your phone can READ your text messages to you, but if you wanna save power....you know what to do.
10. You can record an on-going conversation by simply pushing the middle left button. Unfortunately, you cannot call your buddy and replay the convo to him/her (because the convo is recorded like a regular song file on your PDA). Likewise, you cannot call your buddy and play one of your mp3 files to him/her.
11. Your A780 can be a flash drive. Just plug it up via USB to any Windows XP computer and it sets up automatically and ......you now have an additional drive.
12. If you bought the A780 in a GOLD BOX, you don't have EDGE. If it came in a SILVER BOX, you have EDGE.
I hope I answered everything.
well it is a damn good phone .......just bought it...
can some one help me to use its instant messenger option and application software available to load on this phone???
has anyone been able to get the pop email to work with this phone? with yahoo or gmail? I am using cingular, is there a specific IP data I need to be using instead of the default IP? please help as I would like my phone to be used as mail as well
please email me @ email@example.com
a great phone let down by very poor battery life and reception, have a nokia that always gets a signal and the battery lasts for days this one last 24hrs max with very little use. also only capable of holding 2 playlists fot the mp3 player, which had i have known would not have bought
sometime my mobile display looks white.but incoming &out is ok.i dont understand whats the problem is.pls give me the solution
I purchased A780 10 days back n I m looking for sound booster software, if anybody cud help?
hi,even u can open yahoo,&gmail with attach..in opera only for airtel user.............
Yes this phone supports greater than 256 MB. My A780 mobile has 512MB card.
Does anyone known if this phone supports a memory card bigger then 256MB?
If you are planning to buy this Phone, make a note before hand by clicking on the link
this link will get you all wht you need to know bout this.
For those who are having problems with the lack of battery life, just turn off the GPRS by clicking on the bar that shows the clock, battery and signal strenght. I'm not used to write on forums like this, but I understand that it's extremely hard to go through every single page of the A780 forum to find an answer for your question. It would help to have a search engine to be used here.
The A780 is a great phone, I've been using it for almost a year. The only problems are the slow speed of the calendar, the lack of applications to edit Microsoft Office files and the vulnerability to get scratches on the face plate.
Hope this helps.
After almost 6 months, I am still in love with my A780. Sure there are things that I would love to have like MP3 Playback over bluetooth or email synch but hey can't have it all. Enjoy yours is a nice phone.
HI everybody i am using this mobile from a month.Its one the classic phone i am having,the music is awesome the loudness depends on format of Mp3(just try 48KHz,320kbps) it is really loud.The camera is comparable to 7610,the browsing is too fast with edge,the earphone supplied have excellent output(with bass).The only problem is u can't open gmail,yahoo & u can't have much software for this phone.The talking feature of phone works,CAN ANYBODY GIVE ME FROM WHERE TO GET GPS FOR THIS PHONE.
I bought Motorola A780 few days back, my battery pack dies in one day itself! Anyone else is facing the same issue ?
Even after a charge of 8 hrs battery dies with in the day though I dont have a heavy usage and phone is used only for talking( no surfing and no mms)