Motorola ES400 - user opinions and reviews

Motorola

6.7
6.6
6.6

I have to be honest and say i cannot recomend these devices at all, i purchased 20 for work and have had to have 10 repaired in a 12 month period. They have all had to have new touch screen fitted as they stopped working or were hit and miss as to which area of the screen worked.

• 2012-07-23 17:38
  • phtx

Worst phone ever - our company has just signed a deal for 40 of these things. I cannot bring myself to call these devices a phone - A block of wood would be more usefull.
The Capacitive screen is inaccurate even with stylus
Audio low or distorted extremely poor with car kits (parrot Included)
Mutes calls, misses every other voicemail
Never used an OS so unintuative as Motorola's
Outdated windows Mobile 6.5 no better, not upgradable and no longer supported (but mororola has an agreement for support)Yeh Right !))
Options set, defaults to factory settings for no reason
Drops calls or audio lost either way
Sized & weighs like a brick
To sum up this phone would have been cutting edge in the 80's

• 2012-07-21 05:32
  • m57$

Had one for over 9 months, Scanner next to useless, phone mysteriously rings for no reason, texting is hit and miss, wont link up to my PC and the problems go on and on.I'm afraid its the last time I splash out hard earned cash on an all singing and dancing piece of junk.

• 2012-07-16 21:35
  • nGax

I can't honestly recommend it. We have 2 of them. One has developed a problem with keyboard entry being v-e-r-y slow in responding. In fact, I have resorted to using the stylus for text messaging. A second ES400 started displaying the same problem, only now it will only do a partial boot and then hangs up - it turned itself into a paperweight. Both phones have the lates FW in them. I can't believe that Motorola (Symbol) went to market with this product.

• 2012-07-12 19:30
  • xsM5

> In reply to clyde @ 2012-06-09 21:37 from 43Ig - click to readBin it !!!

• 2012-06-10 11:30
  • HCtT

> In reply to Yankee2791 @ 2012-01-27 02:59 from q5r0 - click to readjust got one and it is impossible to use

• 2012-06-09 21:37
  • 43Ig

> In reply to tillie @ 2012-05-14 16:38 from nFgu - click to readget MC65 instead has better scanner.

• 2012-05-22 21:45
  • xsM5

> In reply to Yankee2791 @ 2012-01-27 02:59 from q5r0 - click to readHi, I'd be very interest to know if your company went ahead and purchased the ES400 devices.

• 2012-05-14 16:38
  • nFgu

> In reply to MercuryMorrison1 @ 2012-04-26 08:40 from qZLG - click to readShow your boss these reviews. Fortunately I don't use the scanner, but the phone regularly rings once then drops to voicemail (in between crashing, and randomly beeping all day - anyone else having that ?) It's got so annoying, that out of work hours, the back and the battery comes out !!

• 2012-05-02 14:16
  • dTME

This phone is a great idea poorly implemented. There isn't much bad to say about the hardware but the software is in sad state. Like many manufacturers, they tried to give Windows Mobile a make up and they only managed to make it more difficult to use, sluggish and buggy. I alread had a Windows Mobile phone before this (a Samsung EPiX) and the optical mouse was one of my top priorities. Vanilla Windows Mobile makes no sense but I installed a program called "Quick Menu" that added a lot of usability to it. However, this phone is so difficult to use compared to it. They tried to "improve" the standard Windows status bar and they only managed to make it more difficult to use. Back in my EPiX, the volume control was easy to adjust, you simply clicked in the top icon and adjusted it. Here you have to click the side button and act fast or it will fade out. The same happens to the camera, it has a timer and won't allow you to leave it on indefinitely. I guess, they should consider dropping everything and providing a vanilla Windows Mobile build on it. That's what they did on the Samsung EPiX and worked great.

• 2012-04-26 16:11
  • LvsQ

Worst phone ever...I have to work with this PoS every night when I go to work...This phone almost never works right...And unfortunatly for me my job requires that I scan a certian amount of barcodes everynight to ensure that I am actually making my rounds. Half of the time the phone will not scan correctly and when it does its only after great effort trying to posisiton the scanner so it can read the barcode.

My manager has gotten onto me once before because of this phone...Despite my and others complaints he refuses to beleive that this phone is the PoS it is despite the fact that we are on our third one. This phone is EXTREAMLY frusturating to use and rarely works properly.

I personally don't know much about phones...But I can't reccomend this one at all...Stay away...Stay FAR AWAY.

• 2012-04-26 08:40
  • qZLG

> In reply to Civil engineer @ 2011-09-27 14:53 from pWME - click to readdo you work for Motorola as this phone is junk a expensive door stop I'm on my 4th 2 broken screens and 2 that keep turning off then can't turn on without removing battery

• 2012-04-02 15:42
  • StUF

Worst phone I have ever seen, we deployed this to our sales force, after four months we scrapped it in favor of iPhones. Horrible device, if you can't talk, why have it?

• 2012-03-30 22:39
  • FFh7

> In reply to Anonymous @ 2012-03-01 17:49 from xYmj - click to readDo you work for Motorola by chance ?

• 2012-03-30 12:04
  • JC5J

I have been using this device for about three weeks now. Giving it a good test.
And I have to say this is the biggest piece of junk I have had the dis-pleasure of having to use.
Battery life (even with the large battery) is terrible, the device locks up, dropped calls are everywhere, the screen size is to small, the touch screen is more like a beat on screen.
Of all the phones I have used from motorola (about a dozen or so) this has to be the worst one I have ever seen. I gave it a good test, the benefit of a dought. But it does not measure up.
Its a true waste of money and time.

• 2012-03-29 04:03
  • 7x}7

> In reply to Yankee2791 @ 2012-01-27 02:59 from q5r0 - click to readCan you please confirm if these issues have now been resolved?

• 2012-03-26 20:15
  • ShLV

> In reply to Fulla @ 2012-03-14 16:30 from nFi0 - click to readI would love an alternative

• 2012-03-17 21:42
  • myR{

> In reply to Fulla @ 2012-03-14 16:38 from nFi0 - click to readI think like most perople who have commented here, the person who purchased them, is not the same person that is unfortunate enough to use them !!

• 2012-03-15 11:55
  • BwZZ

The ES400 is not a rugged device. It's got an IP rating of 42 which is not rugged, no drop spec to speak of. It's meant to be a phone for business use.
A rugged device should have an IP rating of 54 at least and IMHO a drop rating of 4 foot to concrete.
So for all those unhappy with the ES400 what did you look at before buying it and what will you move to next? Be interested to hear what peoples main uses are of the ES400.

• 2012-03-14 16:38
  • nFi0

> In reply to Yankee2791 @ 2012-01-27 02:59 from q5r0 - click to readIf you are UK based I can help you with a fit for purpose alternative to the ES400.

• 2012-03-14 16:30
  • nFi0
Total of 195 user reviews and opinions for Motorola ES400.