Motorola RAZR i XT890 - user opinions and reviews

1905504

7.8
7.7
7.8

Help! Got a RAZR i on Three here in the UK, and whilst the phone and Three's signal are great (in my areas anyway), the mobile hotspot feature, that worked fine under Vodafone and O2 no longer works. (We got it working for a few minutes once, but that was it.) Both Three staff and myself have tried everything. Removing sim card, re-starting, renaming the SSID, changing SSID password etc!

The WiFi signal from the RAZR shows up on all the devices we're trying to tether to it - full bars, and they connect fine. It is just that there is quite simply no Internet connection. On my MacBook Air, the green lights in the diagnostics panel are all lit up. Tried other devices, including a Nexus 7, iPhone 5, iPad mini and non will connect to my RAZR i on Three!

Halp!

• 2013-07-19 01:27
  • ixvN

it has z2480 not 2460. pls correct on the tech page

• 2013-07-17 17:21
  • 0MwT

Just bought one on pay as you go only because its on offer plus want to see how fairs for myself.Its on charge now for 12-16 hrs as ive done since 2000 for first initial charge then I do 6-10 full charge/discharge cycles then do what I want after that..

I have taken an interest in this due to having fast browser,its design I just want to give it a good test..Currently using sgs2 and iphone 4s..Ive tried S4 etcand iphone 5 but they seem worse,S4 too big hot and full junk software and iphone 5 too lanky long and poor quality materials..

• 2013-07-13 18:40
  • nEkZ

Hi! Great phone, amazing quality (both hardware and design), I've had Galaxy s 4 but it was overheating itself after 5 minutes of usage so I swiched to Motorola razr I and I am very happy with my purchase. Screen is excelent, battery lasts 2 days with medium to heavy usage, core speed is very good. Bough mine for 200 pounds whilist S4 are for 400 pounds on ebay. Buy RAZR i and enjoy the ride! regards

• 2013-07-13 14:10
  • LaZH

> In reply to klashnikoff @ 2012-10-17 20:20 from Iasc - click to readAgreed. Just bought a RAZR i as a backup whilst my Nexus 4 rear glass is repaired. RAZR is such a nice phone, I'm not going to keep my Nexus. Yup, Nexus is faster and more powerful, but I feel stressed about breaking it, just as with an iPhone. My MacBook is my workhorse, so RAZR can tether.

• 2013-07-07 12:49
  • mX0V

> In reply to samy @ 2013-06-27 03:16 from Nqp8 - click to readtx for reply. I almost gave up, scoured forums a bit and got the idea to go into the secret menu (*#*#4636#*#*), and did 2 things:

- Change from "WCDMA preferred" to "WCDMA only" - this makes it only connect to 3G/H+, never E/2G. (It's not a CDMA phone, but this setting corresponds to 3G/H+)
- Select radio band: USA only (was Automatic, not sure if this changed anything, but this model was made for Europe/Latin America so might have helped)

Anyway, before it was randomly dropping to E all the time, now it mostly stays at H+. Sometimes it cuts out. Whether it's T-Mobile's inadequate refarming of 1900 in NY, or the phone just not being compatible, I don't know. It averages 10% "Time without a signal" in the Cell standby battery info. The battery might also be draining a little faster, but not hugely so.

The Sony Xperia M comes in August, similar size and has 1700 band too. But I don't like the huge bezel around the 4.0" screen... hmm do I wait out and see if T-Mo 1900mhz 3G improves in NYC... I have a week left to return the Razr i... AHHHHH

• 2013-07-02 05:07
  • YcE$

> In reply to B @ 2013-06-28 10:47 from pK02 - click to readyeah you can as with the majority of andriod devices ...your data plan would have to allow it though

• 2013-07-01 11:55
  • 39x{

Intel aton z2480yes, z2460no

• 2013-06-29 15:24
  • Mf5v

> In reply to B @ 2013-06-28 10:47 from pK02 - click to readSure. But don't ask here. Call Moto support service ;)

This is a very beautiful device n.n So happy with it that I forgot about the others... I'd like the Xperia Tablet Z, though. Ha And the Lenovo K900 too. But these 2 are the only both for tablet and smartphone that have a strong appeal for me. The others though highend are kind of too similar :/

- L.

Pd: The review GSMarena did here for it quite under-rates this device, which is so bad. You better check out comparision videos of this one against the Samsung top ones like S3, Note 2; HTC Butterfly, and iPhone 4S and 5, etc The Razr i performs as good as these, even faster in some tasks. Some reviewers either are biased or too narrow minded and only take their taste as statements. But these videos demonstrate this device is excelent, and a winning bet much above the estimations and benchmarks of the reviewer of this site.
Oh I hope I don't ger banned.

• 2013-06-29 04:01
  • LKV7

Hello

Can I use a Motorola Razr I phone as a modem?

• 2013-06-28 10:47
  • pK02

Can I use Motorola Razr I as a modem?

• 2013-06-28 01:03
  • pK02

> In reply to eken @ 2013-06-26 21:13 from YcE$ - click to readI used T-mobile in California and H+ was working perfectly fine across pretty much the whole state, including freeways.

As for NYC, I think the reception IS the problem especially if you're inside Manhattan. I always had problems with internet there using both T-Mobile and simple mobile. In general, it was just like what you described.

I have to note, though, that this phone maintains a strong signal more than most other phones. that's one advantage of Motorola's hardware.

• 2013-06-27 03:16
  • Nqp8

> In reply to mapecka @ 2013-06-25 12:31 from 0Baw - click to readbattery life is the biggest disadvantage after updating to 4.1. Has never lasted more than 2 days since I updated.
as for the possibility of getting 4.2, I wouldn't get my hopes high since this , you know, android.

• 2013-06-27 03:11
  • Nqp8

trouble getting HSPA+/3G on Razr i with T-Mobile in USA. love this phone, size is perfect, but H+ comes and goes, and then it's on 2G EDGE where webpages take 2 minutes to load. makes Google Maps impossible to use. I'm in NYC so reception isn't the problem. what to do? have to get a refund I guess.

• 2013-06-26 21:13
  • YcE$

> In reply to mapecka @ 2013-06-25 12:31 from 0Baw - click to readBattery life is pretty much same like in any android...1-1,5days max. Maybe 2 days if you just check time from phone=)

• 2013-06-25 16:14
  • i8Ut

> In reply to leon @ 2013-06-11 00:32 from nE4y - click to readWhy would ANY apps be incompatible because of the Intel processor? Android apps are written in Java genius...

• 2013-06-25 14:00
  • gKbi

Does anyone know, when there will be update on JB 4.2?
And how good is battery life after update from 4.0 to 4.1?

• 2013-06-25 12:31
  • 0Baw

Some very important news! (Specially for the ones who watch japanese animations)

The Motorola Razr i, this First Gen, Single Core @ 2Ghz powered by an Intel CPU which has been very underrated by the review GSMarena did on it... can playback flawlessly 10 bit 720p MKV videos*!! :D (I'm on my way to try 1080p ones)

This is important because almost all TOP smartphones available CAN NOT! Even the Galaxy S4 struggles and does not give a flawless playback! The Galaxy S3 simply can't playback such videos! Most others cant either.
The iPhone 5 does playback flawlessly, and has been an itchy truth for Android lovers (who watch japanese animes) ha. :/

This is just one MORE point in favor of the awesome performance of the Intel powered smarphones such as the Razr i and the Lenovo K900!

The Lenovo K900 is like the older brother of the Razr i and its Second gen processor is twice as powerfull as the one in the Razr i so I believe purchasing one of them is a winning bet, for sure!! Both are able to easily playback those problematic 10 bit videos which most top others can't!

How cool is that??

Check out the thread at X-D-A devel0pers searching for "[Q] Can Galaxy S4 handle 10-bit 720p video smootly?" thread. And also the thread for the K900 at the same forum!

See you!!

- L.

Update: Tested it: 10 bit 1080p MKV videos do play well in the Razr i!! But this time with some minor flaws! Ha
Such an advantage over the rest!

*With MX Player, which has the best support for Softsubs.

• 2013-06-17 10:29
  • LKV7

The razr i, the best motorola handset ive eva used to date!!! recently started using this handset and it gets 8/10 from me, houestly the best mobile at its size, apps and games all run smoothly with the 2Ghz atom cpu, it could improve the look of the mobile, screws on the sides a put off and touch screens alittle to sensitive, but over all a great mobile

• 2013-06-13 18:04
  • freV

> In reply to leon @ 2013-06-11 00:32 from nE4y - click to readWhat a load of nonsense. The number of incompatible apps that I have encountered can be counted on one hand. I have the same exact apps on both my note 10.1 and my RAZR I. Apps will generally run faster on the RAZR I, while games will generally run better on the note. Anyways, since more and more phones are using Intel processors( lenovo k900, galaxy tab 3 10.1) , more developers will check the compatibility of their apps with Intel devices.
In all cases, some of the apps are described as incompatible with this phone just because the developer hadn't tested it on it. In this case, and I've encountered this many times, just get the apk from any website. Just google the name of the app you're looking for + apk.

• 2013-06-13 09:13
  • Ir0E
Total of 598 user reviews and opinions for Motorola RAZR i XT890.