Motorola ROKR E8 - user opinions and reviews

Motorola

8.8
8.7
8.7

Help !! , i cant upload pics through apps , it always saids to change my app permission , i tryed many times to change the smart card access , but still remaining the same ' NO ACCESS ' , please help me to change that...

• 2012-05-03 17:52
  • t1$E

Hi guys,

It's good to come back, I have been using Motorola E8 since 2009 and was contributing in this forum back then on and off. That said, I've owned 3 E8s, 1st one was bought brand new and sold to a friend used after 1 year, 2nd unit also a brand new one (current use) and 3rd unit bought used, 2 weeks old mint condition in a box with all the original accessories as back up - bottom line, I love this phone!. This is still one of my favorite "phone", I mean a basic communication tool in which, incoming and outgoing call quality are of utmost importance. I also own a smartphone HTC HD2 now but my calls are all made from my current Motorola E8 leaving the HD2 as my backup and organizational tool.
Today, I only collect the old Motorolas, I have a V9 Ferrari Limited Edition (weekend use), 2 ROKR E8s (1 as back up and the other in use everyday), 1 U9, 1 V3i, and proudly announcing that I have just purchased a V8 (mint condition in original box) recently waiting for it to arrive. CrystalTalk feature from my experience is best on V8 and V9 as even though E8 is slightly below these 2 maybe due to the its size, Reception too is stronger on V8 and V9. I'm not so sure whether the current Motorolas have the same CrystalTalk quality as I suspected the manufacturing quality control is no longer controlled by Moto themselves - hope I'm wrong on this. To me, CrystalTalk feature is still THE FEATURE that should be built in all mobile phones. For those who are not aware of it, CrystalTalk was patented and only produced by Motorola on reducing background noise while automatically increasing speech volume so that the other end can still hears you loud and clear enough in noisy environment. This is one technology I got hooked on until today and I don't see any phone manufacturers making headway on it except on bluetooth headset manufacturer like Jawbone. I'm on Motorola CommandOne now with CrystalTalk technology and its really good too.
Now that I've purchased another V8, I'll be looking for the BX81 or 80 battery with an extended battery door cover for much longer talk time. With it, I'll be selling off one of my E8 and will be looking to add an ugly but tough phone collection - the Tundra Va76r.
Since ROKR E8's 2008 launch, it still looks "futuristic" and different, even until today I got guys asking me out of curiosity what kind of phone that I'm carrying that's different - looks totally black without the keypads but with a big "C" (the fastscroll wheel) design on it.
Let's hope Google can revive the Motorola phone division and continue to refine the CrystalTalk technology, this would make it a better "true" phone when background noise will never irritates the other end during conversation while volume, clarity and strong reception are and should be the ultimate "must have" in all phones that we use in my opinion. Just look at what kind of signal/reception strength they have built-in in some well branded smartphones these days, which cost as much as a notebook, ironic don't you think?

• 2012-03-29 18:21
  • ibaK

how do i set up picture messinging.?

• 2012-03-24 00:27
  • k1y5

> In reply to Anonymous @ 2012-02-20 02:12 from Rxj% - click to readYou have to go to connection settings > bluetooth > enable discoverable on for 5 minutes and also settings > bluetooth = on

• 2012-03-09 18:51
  • K2I8

• 2012-03-09 17:30
  • K2FG

I've been using the E8 since 2008, and whenever I'm disappointed with something, I always end up realising how awesome it actually is beneath those shortcomings. It truly is a smartphone in its price class, but only when you mod it.

Without modding, it's simply a feature-rich phone. The build quality feels expensive and looks expensive, though it's one of the cheapest smartphones around.

Over the years my scroll wheel has become defective and no longer works, my back cover has lost its grip (and I've shaved off the grey rubber coating leaving a metallic shine), UI has become crazy (sometimes a lot of lag but can be solved with overclocking; drains battery a lot though), and my battery life has decreased manifolds.

However, no other phone in the budget category (it was not really budget when I bought it; S$200-300) can give me mplayer (can play almost all video formats), docx reader, pdf reader, overclocking, quake 2, psx emulator, etc. And all this in a nice and sleek, slim bar form factor.

If you're not into modding, however, I'd recommend something like the Nokia X2-02, which won't give you YouTube (the E8 will) or a native (not JAVA) document reader. Every time I wish I hadn't bought this phone (again, mostly UI issues) I marvel at its capabilities.

• 2012-03-09 17:26
  • K2FG

> In reply to james @ 2012-01-24 02:09 from P@dH - click to readjust go with mobile9

• 2012-02-25 16:51
  • 7qCM

HI.. my auntie in singapore just bought me this MOTOROLA ROKR E8,, i just cant connect it's bluetooth connection to another CP.. someone pls help me.

• 2012-02-20 02:12
  • Rxj%

> In reply to Pax Nominus @ 2009-01-19 04:46 from T6r} - click to readI noticed the bug with the message. I had just bought the phone and was exchanging long messages with a friend of mine. All incoming messages exceeding the normal length of a text message was cut-off at the normal length. This also had a snowball effect. That next time I would receive a message exceeding 1 message length. It used to be cut-off at 1 message length and the remaining part of the previous long message used to get added to it.
To put it in short, it lead to a lot of misunderstandings and lent a hand in ruining everything.
I still use the phone...great for music...excellent battery life (something Motorola was not known for)...very sturdy build.
The only other bug that I found is that the clock slows down over a period of time, you have to readjust time every few months.
and that eerie thing it does...suddenly display lights up for no apparent reason or gives off a glow.

• 2012-02-06 21:42
  • 0CWf

Hey, I've read about how the phone starts lagging over time. I'm curious as to whether that's because of having a lot of mp3's and pictures on the phone or something that naturally happens to the E8? I'm thinking about getting this phone, and i don't really have any intention of putting songs or pics on it. So can i expect lag to kick in eventually or, because i won't be using much of the phones memory, expect smooth sailing?
Thanks for your help. (:

• 2012-02-06 02:16
  • u{aC

could someone here give me a site where i can download ringtones, games, themes for my rock e8?

• 2012-01-24 02:09
  • P@dH

this phone is amazing please this phone is launh again in india

• 2012-01-21 14:36
  • utmH

Hi motorola please make an android phone with same design as E8. It will be realy great, I remember people used to ask me ' is it a touch phone' I would like to say 'YES'

• 2012-01-19 11:59
  • 3Yf2

Bought this phone again just one and a half month ago through ebay I was earlier had this model but my younger bro took this from me so I bought ZN5 which again taken by my wife....guys this is a real rokr I just inserted ipod earphone in my rokr and it bang like a dynamite really a great experience...I am going to buy an ipod headphone to listen the music...

• 2012-01-19 10:00
  • Ere1

Oh god !!! ,i m despiretly behind it. Its killing me damn, is this still avilable in india ? Pls suggest me, where could i get this heritagious fone. I relly need this.....

• 2012-01-18 04:00
  • U@2t

hello guys, shall we use motorola milestone charger for moto rokr e8 ???

• 2012-01-07 19:43
  • 3J8a

is this still available in the philippines?

• 2012-01-05 18:58
  • PQxN

awesome!!!!!

• 2012-01-03 20:13
  • Sqj}

Some might call me crazy but I just bought another 2 days old E8 mint condition unit from a friend - just for back up. I'm currently using one and just loved its features and battery standby. While many are into smartphone these days, I still prefers to use my E8 strictly for communication while keeping my HTC HD2 as my 2nd choice working phone, to keep notes, calendars, task, news and so on.

• 2012-01-03 16:48
  • ibaK

This is the coolest phone I've ever had, there is no other phone like it. Very unique

• 2011-12-23 13:25
  • sSWV
  • F
Total of 2924 user reviews and opinions for Motorola ROKR E8.