Got it today from ebay, only 36,90 EUR ;)
a) Does anybody know if it offers a sort of "flight" mode to listen to MP3s on the airplane?
b) I managed to get a 2 GB microSD working only removing any partition and format it (mkfs.vfat /dev/sdb ;) ) Is it normal?
Greetings from Italy
I wanted a phone without camera (not allowed in my college)
I just made up my mind and bought a Motorola W230 today!!
I bought the full black "tattoo edition"
Here is my Review of the phone
Manual and Warranty Card
PC USB Data Cable
1) I bought this instead of the W270 because I don't like flip phones and the small screen looks ugly in the W270 and 270 is significantly more expensive
2) Tattoo edition looks great
3) I bought a bundle which has no 256MB card bundled along with it - it costs almost Rs.220 less! [so I bought a San Disk 2 GB Micro SD [5 year warranty] for Rs.400 with this savings! ]
4) This phone has digital radio --that means the channels which are digital will have much better clarity and Channel name and Music Genre are displayed on the phone!
5) FM Reception and quality is excellent
6) Listening radio through speakerphones is good but I wish I could say the same for MP3s -- there is not enough bass
7) Listening to MP3 via headphones is another matter though -- it is very very good! It is equal, if not, slightly better than my Creative MuVO
8.This is the first time I have bought a Motorola phone, and I have to say that the interface is very good -- the font is easy to read and it is easy to navigate about
10) Music Player is good, not excellent -- no equalizer -- no album art -- but it does display the Track Information like Genre,Artist,Track No,Year etc etc. And also you can put the music in folders and the phone will recognize it... unlimited number of folders allowed
11) SMS is good and it DOES NOT lag while typing.... contrary to what some ppl say
12) MMs and GPRS available
13) No Infrared or Bluetooth
14) No Java Support
14) You can use the phone as pen drive -- just plug it into the PC and it will show up as removable disk
15) The Phone charges while connected to PC
15) Screen and Glossy finish on front is fingerprint magnet
16) Phone Build Quality is superb and plush materials all around!!
17) Its very light -- and thin [not super slim but still thin]
Price [The Mobile Store, Menaka, Eranakulam, Kerala] - Rs.2550* ()
*for the bundle without 256 card -- this is the better buy!
So totally I spent Rs.2950 [2550 on phone and 400 on 2GB MicroSD]
This is an excellent deal for such a good phone! It looks so much more expensive than it actually is! THE perfect phone for college goers!
My Rating - 9/10 -- bowled over by the features offered by a Rs.2.5k phone!
On the LG KP110... [THE COMPETING NON_CAMERA MUSIC PHONE]
This phone has an ugly design when compared to W230 [well in my opinion anyway] It has "MP3" and "MP3 PLAYER" written all over it -- like some cheap Chinese phone!
On the price front, this phone costs Rs.2800 -- which includes 1GB MicroSD -- but the W230 only costs Rs.2950 -- with 2GB SanDisk [5 year warranty] !! So Moto beats it in this area also
The only redeeming feature of the 110 is the Java support -- but I'll pass -- the Moto wins hands down in every other area!
sipho (South Africa), 23 Jun 2008Great phone!Honestly.. I have just ordered myself one but what i want to know is, can I do Mxi... moreyeah i want to know about the mxit aswell!!!! even though its a low resolution phone it must have tha capability to have mxit??
other than that, great phone!!
prashant, 12 Aug 2008Hi I bought this phone yesterday looks fine but I am not impressed with its messaging. I dont ... moreIndeed its strange, I guess you have clicked on the short key provided in the middle/center. While you are in the Messages screen select Inbox and click on Select option by clicking on top left button on the phone rather than the center short key button. You will then find the read option
Hi I bought this phone yesterday looks fine but I am not impressed with its messaging. I dont find an option to read a message in the phone i can see there are some messages in the inbox but strange, i dont find a read option anywhere. can somebody help??????
When I got this fone, just like you buy a piese of cake then eat superb, the feature was so cool, like mp3 & FM radio, the sound also is good, the call talk right its good like moto said a crystal talk technology and last its a cheapest mobile in town, and heap there's more like 2G micro SD expansion slot to make it higher mp3 storage for just $41-43 and almost 2K in peso, so far so good as my experience, only no bluetoot.
Melano, 08 Aug 2008The keypad beeps everytime I press any key. How can I turn it off?Hi, if you want to turn it off your keypad tone heres some tips.
Goto settings, then Ring style, then loud ring detail, click on that, then scroll got to key volume and move the backward key of the keypad and turn it zero (0) and thats it. you can now heard no tone of your keypad.
i want to have this phone! because of the music capabilities like radio & mp3 player, even i have 2 camera phones.
i hope motorola would make an upgrade of this phone with same physical looks but with a built in camera with bluetooth & infrared. but it is still a nice phone.
Yes You get an USB cabel(acts like a usb in PC and 1gb card with it in this price its an excellent set
I want my W230 to stop beeping everytime I press a key. That's all I want. It is not found in the manual. Can we not customize or mute this?
I love this phone so much. I just bought it yesterday. It is cheaper than other mp3 phones plus it has a very stylish design that makes it looks like a expensive phone.You can set your mp3 as a ringtone or as a message alert tone.this features was cool.I hope motorola continues to crete phones that are functional yet cheap.Tnx Moto!
this phone is good but the problem is i cant connect it to the computer..and there are certain features in the manual which is not available in the actual phone..and its not openline..its exclusive for SMART network provider only..when i put other sim like Globe it asks for a password..can any1 tell me whats wrong??im from phillipines by the way..thanks
An add on question, can you install games on this phone, like java games?
Just wanted to ask something. Do you get a USB when you buy this unit and how much memory is in the memory card that accompanies the phone? Hope somebody can answer these inquiries.
Anonymous, 29 Jul 2008U need to install some software n u get it from motorola website, Im also searchin for the same.It's very good this phone can save mp3 but cannot download game and mp3
I'm buying it like today. I was impressed with it the first time I saw it, so for phone downgrade, it's apparently my choice! :) Liek an ipod, but I'm still buying iPod touch. This is for temporary music use.