News - Reader comments

Nokia N8 first official video demo comes out, not bad at all

Nokia N8 first official video demo comes out, not bad at all - read the full textNokia has obviously put a lot of eggs in the N8 basket and is keen to convince us that it's a phone worth having. Nokia has just released the first of a trilogy of videos that demonstrate the new Symbian^3 user interface and the N8 speed and responsiveness. The first video focuses on...

 

Sort by:

A phone, including a smart phones, needs to be first and foremost a PHONE and then you can add in all the other stuff like internet, music, tv, apps etc.

The Android OS has gone 5 version (1.5 to 2.2) in 14 MONTHS. Android is full of bugs at the moment..

Just search google for 'android mute on answering calls' or 'android drop calls' or ‘android issues’.

Android has major futures issues with different manufacturers building hardware specific phones, messing with the core OS functions then stuffing it on a phone and rolling it out.

The issue is already here with updates that are difficult to come by for many phones with major delays for release. Apps which will only work on certain versions etc etc ….

More major problems will come with more new phones, new versions of Android and ultimately older android phones not being eligible for updates etc… which will leave users with buggy phones which won’t run the latest apps until they go out and get the latest and greatest phone.

Not exactly a great customer satisfaction model…..

Nokia on the other hand have an OS in Symbian which has been evolving for 9 years or so. It will have bugs but I very much doubt will we see 5 revisions (and counting) in just over a year as with Android.

Nokia still own 47.2% of the entire mobile phone market. They now how to make a phone !!

The N8 is Nokia’s flagship smart phone and the hardware is up their currently as one of the best. The Symbian UI might not be as slick as Android but I can guarantee it will be less buggy and forwarded supported by Nokia.

I have used 3 android phones and 7 Nokias. Currently I would pick a Nokia over an Android phone any day. At least in the knowledge that when the N8 rings and I answer it I won’t be suffering a call which is on permanent mute or it being dropped in 10 seconds !!!!!!! A phone needs to work as a phone first before it can be called ‘Smart’

  • Reply
  • 2010-06-08 20:45
  • NZrZ

> In reply to deep space bar @ 2010-06-03 08:09 from IDg% - click to readThe reason why they should change the OS totally is because they need to be as much up to date as other mobile OS'es are to get more and more intrested in Symbian. Now more and more are running from Symbian to Android.

Wanna guess why?.

  • Reply
  • 2010-06-04 00:48
  • SrdG

apparently they have working devices, so they are testing symbian^3. now lets hope there are no major bugs when N8 is released. I still gotta have one, especially since symbian has always performed great on the task i need from a phone. I still think calling is still a major function along with texting email and the internet. i don't need all the useless apps, just a few functioning programs and that's it.

  • Reply
  • 2010-06-03 13:12
  • mdb1

if sysmbian is crappy,then why it can use GPU while no android can?why it can use USB-OTG while no android can do so?why it can run smoothly on any device but if you have under 1ghz for android you may experience some lags in interface? please an android expert point out some processes that android can do and symbian can't to let us know why some users call symbian crappy.
thnx

  • Reply
  • 2010-06-03 10:39
  • 3Irq

oh boy .. android phones really make everithing look booring... nokia change ur OS

  • Reply
  • 2010-06-03 09:39
  • MBxb

> In reply to Tom-Helge @ 2010-06-03 05:37 from SrdG - click to readplus symbi3n is 75% complete when he reviewed it since the device still needs more tweeking and it's not out for another few month
it will change from the prototype obviously

  • Reply
  • 2010-06-03 08:16
  • IDg%

> In reply to Tom-Helge @ 2010-06-03 05:37 from SrdG - click to readwhy would they need to do a massive change if the 3 main things people wanted to see on symbian are
user friendlier touch interface
more apps available via ovi
eye candy
symbian wouldn't be symbian if they change too much on the OS

  • Reply
  • 2010-06-03 08:09
  • IDg%

Well i have one little thing to say here, read this: http://www.unwiredview.com/201...nd-symbian3/

That pretty much sums it up about Nokia N8.

There are some hard facts right there in that link. Like Symbian ^3 is just the same as earlier Symbians except that Symbian had to change on the UI on Symbian ^3 to make it more touch friendly.

Things like that just sums up what kind of crappy OS Nokia N8 will use.

  • Reply
  • 2010-06-03 05:37
  • SrdG

For those who have the love to photograph everything that our eyes laid on such as me, this is the best smartphone that suit our fancies. Nokia N8 is the answer to my prayers for the time being until something better comes out but I think so long as this functions, it stays with me for years to come.

  • Reply
  • 2010-06-03 05:06
  • tWiD

You guy can download the DivX in maemo/software.com

  • Reply
  • 2010-06-03 04:08
  • ibgX

> In reply to Dennis @ 2010-06-01 09:57 from nB4i - click to readhaha, and what do you say on the lagging when he was scrolling up-down...ahahah :D

  • Reply
  • 2010-06-02 14:53
  • pu57

> In reply to jlouis @ 2010-06-01 19:53 from ppPV - click to readdude conversation was a beta app for the s60 the was successful and was put on to the Nseries phones then they took it out and
maemo and symbian are both linux,open source and are made my nokia lol
go check what's on the n95 lol and i own the n900

  • Reply
  • 2010-06-02 04:10
  • IDg%

i have the n900 and while i was watching this video i felt that symbian copied almost everything the maemo interface has ex: conversations, multiple pages,widgets, multi apps.... it even has the same buttons who cares about the 12 mp im not going to make posters out of my cellphone!
at least the n900 has a keyboard.... im sticking to my beloved maemo

  • Reply
  • 2010-06-01 19:53
  • ppPV

> In reply to Anonymous @ 2010-06-01 11:16 from up6i - click to readCoreplayer rival

julyplayer

you can support them

  • Reply
  • 2010-06-01 13:25
  • w7nM

> In reply to rich @ 2010-06-01 13:02 from nxcy - click to readSatio is not nokia, its SE. And Ovi store is only for Nokia phones.

  • Reply
  • 2010-06-01 13:17
  • KFPs

reason i will never own another nokia type phone i had the satio and could not download from the ovi store because of stupid sybian licences!

  • Reply
  • 2010-06-01 13:02
  • nxcy

> In reply to Dev @ 2010-06-01 11:58 from up6y - click to readoh.. i meant stuck not suck.. sorry

  • Reply
  • 2010-06-01 12:00
  • up6y

> In reply to Anonymous @ 2010-06-01 11:43 from 2GMV - click to readYes, but its all suck because of licensing issues.

  • Reply
  • 2010-06-01 11:58
  • up6y

> In reply to Dev @ 2010-06-01 11:21 from upem - click to readActually they're working on it and are yet to decide whether to include it or not. Hopefully they will.

  • Reply
  • 2010-06-01 11:43
  • 2GMV

Note: Sponsored advertising links are in green.