News - Reader comments

Qualcomm talks new dual-core Snapdragon with 5x performance

18 November, 2010 | Read the news | Post your comment
Qualcomm talks new dual-core Snapdragon with 5x performance - read the full textQualcomm, the company behind Snapdragon, teased its successor - the MSM8960 has two cores, five times the performance, better graphics and a multi-mode 3G and 4G modem. They also have a couple of other dual-core systems using the current Snapdragon core but at higher frequency. Two Systems on a...

 

Sort by:

dualcores will be 100% useless on mobile phones as andriod does not do any real multi tasking and its gonna take about 3-5yrs for devs to start coding their crap with dualcore.. a single 2~3Ghz core is the way to go for now.

  • Reply
  • 2010-11-23 06:55
  • t7F1

PS3 and Xbox 360 practically use high end Nvidia and ATI graphic cards respectively. these chips can't even come near similar in graphics however the speed and technology is pretty much appreciated considering mobile phones with 1.5GHz speed !

  • Reply
  • 2010-11-22 21:33
  • yp3S

What are they talking about ??? what is that speed representation ??? They cant put an IPHONE 3g and a Playstation 2 in the same performanse. Even the Iphone 4G has less performanse than a PS2. Just look the oldest race game of a PS2 and then compare it to the new release of Need for Speed from the IPHONE 4G. The PS2 is a lot better. But they make me really laught when they put the "8 Cores CELL" Playstation 3 in the same level of the next 2 cores snapdragon generation. hahahaha !! :) Even a PC with 8 c0res cant match the 8 cores of the PS3 because they have different architecture. THIS NEWS is a FALLACY or a bad JOKE (sorry my english)

  • Reply
  • 2010-11-22 14:41
  • Lxd2

> In reply to John @ 2010-11-21 16:06 from HCiZ - click to readNo, they aren't. The CPU architecture for PC processor (x86/64) and for mobile phone (most likely ARM) are different.

  • Reply
  • 2010-11-22 09:11
  • Ny4p

That is very bad to do.We do not like Android on an iphone. A true fan would never do that, its worse than the the jail breaking and very bad talk.

-Posted from my iphone4 held very correctly, not touching the weak spot using a bumper case to show very good connection is real when in strong area facing the cell tower and WiFi switched off.

  • Reply
  • 2010-11-22 05:05
  • PUrC

> In reply to John @ 2010-11-21 16:06 from HCiZ - click to readdefinitely not, they are different in architecture

  • Reply
  • 2010-11-22 05:03
  • Kg%Y

Is a mobile phone 1ghz the same as a PC 1ghz?

  • Reply
  • 2010-11-21 16:06
  • HCiZ

> In reply to Major General R.K. G @ 2010-11-21 11:51 from Nsa} - click to readi use a htc phone aswel if u can read properly.. if other companies can create a phone that can last all day without charging than by all means i will buy that phone... and yes i will be buying the E7 myself if its as good as its said here on gsm arena BUT a 4" screen imo would drain the battery so if it does i will be buying a C6-01 or a N8 unless someone releases a phone with similar battery life.. u cant call ppl idiot we u cant read urself

  • Reply
  • 2010-11-21 15:56
  • IPuc

Expect 5x the battery drain.

  • Reply
  • 2010-11-21 14:39
  • v0qx
  • Major General R.K. G
  • Report
  • Rating0

> In reply to DJScope @ 2010-11-20 11:37 from IPu1 - click to readMy dear friend, you seem to fantasize that N8 is the best smart phone ever, you are mistaken N900 and E7(when released) are far more better. There are several Samsung, IPhone,Motorola, HTC and Sonny Erickson phones with no comparison with N8. Learn to use other brands and travel widely to interact with other sections of the globe and experience what they use. Stop being a Nokia fanatic with poor support points. That will portray you as an idiot and i believe you are better than those morons who support Nokia blindly.

  • Reply
  • 2010-11-21 11:51
  • Nsa}

> In reply to TechAbstract @ 2010-11-21 05:25 from 4cSD - click to readi Was just reading what the guys were saying on Mac-rumors.
I'm worried now because it seems they have be lying a lot on that site.

-Posted from my iphone4 held very correctly, not touching the weak spot using a bumper case to show very good connection is real when in strong area facing the cell tower and WiFi switched off.

  • Reply
  • 2010-11-21 08:02
  • PUrC

Currently Hummingbird in Galaxy S and Galaxy Tab is fastest. It goes up to 1.6Ghz.
http://phandroid.com/2010/10/2...on-quadrant/

  • Reply
  • 2010-11-21 05:28
  • 4cSD

@iPhone4ed Steve Jobs says everything in iphone4 is the best. Go do your own research. iPhone 4 is underclocked to around 800Mhz. GPU is not the best nor the processor.

  • Reply
  • 2010-11-21 05:25
  • 4cSD

> In reply to Buzzing_Bird @ 2010-11-20 18:06 from uwNd - click to readWell said, maybe you should of written the story.

-Posted from my iphone4 held very correctly, not touching the weak spot using a bumper case to show very good connection is real when in strong area facing the cell tower and WiFi switched off.

  • Reply
  • 2010-11-21 02:59
  • PUrC

I still think this is sheer vapour, to save Qualcomm's face after Samsung delivered a double whammy, first with Hummingbird and the Orion. Orion has already started sampling, which is about a quarter away from commercial availability. That explains this "overpromise-and-zero-deliver" plank of Qualcomm. They are talking about a process (28nm) that has not debuted as yet, leave alone stabilize to become commercially viable. And their devices comparison sound little more than juvenile pasturing/fantasizing. PS3 Cell Processor's worth in a phone ?!?! God save my testicles when I put such a phone in my trouser pocket.

Simply put, Qualcomm has NO immidiate processor to rival Samsung Orion. That's why they are releasing a huff of vapour fantasized as this MSM8960 or whatever...

  • Reply
  • 2010-11-20 18:06
  • uwNd

> In reply to Anonymous @ 2010-11-20 12:13 from jAG1 - click to readmy phone is connected constantly to facebook and has push email all day long, plus i have rss feeds updating every 15min and with my more than moderate use the phone i get home with half the battery.. if i do the same with an android phone (which everyone else i know either uses an android, bada or winmo phone) they will be charging their phone at around 2-4pm coz their fone is dieing, and some of them have cynagen roms and minimalistic roms and they use the phone sometime less than i do... my point was that a phone should last u all day no matter what and that phones should not be built around extras, nokias philosophy basically, they are the only company whos backing symbian because of its potential and battery life.. i dunno how this argument got into nokia vs the world and market share etc..

  • Reply
  • 2010-11-20 12:46
  • IPu1

> In reply to DJScope @ 2010-11-20 11:37 from IPu1 - click to readThere again is your fallacy. Nokia and Symbian has been around longer than most smart phone and mobile OS. Nokia also sells a majority of low end "smart phones". You can get a cheap nokia running Symbian S60 for less than $150 new. 36% may still be majority but how long will they be able to keep it? Not very long considering a couple months ago they've had over 45%. Drastic change in just one quarter clearly proves they are not able to compete. Your analogy of the gas tank once again is clearly invalid. Please just stop using analogies, my little brother and I both have Galaxy S. Both our phones last almost an entire day. Battery life is clearly dependent on a user basis. When I had my E71 I would actually browse the web on it and text and have emails directly pushed to the device via nokia messenger(email service). On a bored day where I would surf the web frequently, check and send emails, im, text, and make a couple calls the phone would last about 9 hours. Does this make the battery life horrible? Not at all. Check out XDA forums, many users there with modded roms can get pretty good battery life out of their phones that are more powerful than the N8 and you seem to forget that the reason why Android devices drain battery quicker is because they're more socially connected. Many phones run apps directly connecting to twitter and facebook and have data streamed constantly.

  • Reply
  • 2010-11-20 12:13
  • jAG1

well 37% is still more than 25%.. dont even get me started about brand loyalty.. ive used a samsung, lg, toshiba, panasonic, teac, motorola, the list keeps going, in my line of work ive held basically every phone under the sun.. and myself i own a N97 and a HTC Magic just because they are the best value phones around (last year).. my criteria for having a phone is very simple: phone calls (moderate), 3g internet (extensive), a lil bit of wifi and lots of music, and if the phone doesnt get me home with battery, then thats not a phone i would be buying..

ill give u the same analogy but modified.. same case, but, instead of the broken engine u get a 1 litre gas tank.. it just doesnt work for me and a lot of ppl who are too busy to charge their phone every couple of hours..

and like i said, every manufacturer has had hardware failure issues.. the HTC Touch had screen issues, big ones, and they didnt even recall or repair them properly, coz they just replaced the shorted screen with the same model which burns out again.. ur saying like every N8 off the conveyor belt is gonna break in a week..

  • Reply
  • 2010-11-20 11:37
  • IPu1

> In reply to djscope @ 2010-11-20 08:57 from IPu1 - click to readAlso here's another hypocrisy of yours I would like to point out. You talk about a car with latest gadgets and fancy features built in but with a broken engine making the car useless. Would that analogy be a reference to the N8? Seeing as how the N8 has the largest camera sensor(something you refer to as useless gimmick), Gorilla glass screen with nHD(this would be another useless gimmick right? Since you say resolution doesn't really matter?), and a cpu clocked at 680MHz? However it has a broken engine(the phone won't even turn on). So do you still consider the N8 "de best" phone? Also you misread my comment, I didn't say Nokia couldn't compete, I said they couldn't compete in the high end flag ship tier. Which is true considering they're losing market share every quarter to android.

  • Reply
  • 2010-11-20 09:21
  • jAG1

> In reply to djscope @ 2010-11-20 08:57 from IPu1 - click to readand there is the fallacy of brand loyalty. Nokia has a large portion of the mobile market share however most of it is from low end mobile phones and in countries where many of the top mobile phone contenders do not compete such as India. If you've looked at the reason report Nokia has lost a huge portion of smart phone market share and is only at 36% for 2010 with android base OS steadily closing in and projected to take over for 2011. Nokia's IDR has dropped from the AAA- to BBB+ which means lenders will not be favorable to them at all. While their new ARM 11 can be clocked higher doesn't mean its a new architecture based cpu running new instructions. It is merely a new fabrication possibly from 60nm to whatever their new iterations are. Once again proving my claim that this isn't a drastic hardware change and is no excuse for their rampant hardware failure. You don't see HTC or Samsung with high end mobile phones dying within 2 weeks of usage do you? The problem is big enough for Nokia to publicly admit that there is indeed a problem and are rectifying it. I give them props on this part because they are not denying or trying to hide it. Iphone 4 may have an antenna problem but the iphone 4 don't mysteriously die out do they? Don't forget that the E71 also had reception issues due to the placement of the antenna as well.

  • Reply
  • 2010-11-20 09:10
  • jAG1

Note: Sponsored advertising links are in green.