Anonymous, 31 May 20111. Pentaband, you are normally locked onto your carrier, your carrier uses a specific band. If... moreReply to your point 1.
Obviously you don't travel like I do ...
There are parts of Africa where you need to constantly switch between various bands due to limited signal strength, data availability etc. Many of these carriers give you the option when roaming and the charges are passed back to your home carrier whilst at home they say the have no official agreement!
Anonymous, 31 May 20111. Pentaband, you are normally locked onto your carrier, your carrier uses a specific band. If... moreIt seems that you don't use an N8 so you don't get to appreciate the things you've just mentioned present on the N8 and don't realize their importance for people like us who use those features regularly. I can add two more N8 features aside from what you've already mentioned: HDMI and FM transmitter. I expect that you will downplay their importance again since you don't use them because your phone doesn't have such features but again to us, we know and appreciate their worth. And I thank Nokia for adding all of those essential features on the crappy N8 you call, convergence has never been this possible and cheap.
I love to argue, 31 May 2011Have you seen these videos ?
http://www.yout... moreNexus S is a good damn piece of phone :D
However theres is not any official WP7 Mango phone released yet.
I'm comparing two identical phones and that was my results.
We need to wait for official WP7 evices for make a real compare between those phones, will be something interesting since the first wave of WP7 Mango devices looks promising in paper, let's see in real world...
But if you want my humble opinion, the homescreen of the Samsung Google Nexus S i9023 looks kinda, boring in compare with the HTC Sense WP Screen :D
Luisitomix, 31 May 2011Old specs? i think you should recheck your backgrounds on Nokia phones. The N8 is pentaband (f... more1. Pentaband, you are normally locked onto your carrier, your carrier uses a specific band. If you were to change carriers you most likely would sign a new contract and get a new phone subsidized. So what would having a device that supports AWS and 850/1900 do when you're gonna get a new device? All of Europe and Asia uses 2100MHz, so again whats the point of having 5 bands? Unless you travel between Europe and US; however in the US many areas have free wifi that will make your connection just as fast as 3G. So again whats the point?
2. 12MP camera is indeed good, however a lot of cameras take pictures on the same level as the N8 without having the need of such a large image sensor. Check out Samsung Galaxy S II photo reviews in which the N8 and SGS II tie in a lot of test. All this while using only an 8 MP camera. Megapixels does not equal better pictures, megapixels are just that, pixels.
3. USB OTG? You think Nokia invented this? WRONG. This is actually invented by the USB foundation, it was intended to allow mobile phones to directly connect to devices such as MP3 players and then allowing you to use your mobile phone's data connection to download media directly to your MP3 player. However with the incorporation of Wifi into basically all media players now this function has become obsolete. So you guys like BT 3.0? For what? File transfers? You carry around a USB OTG adapter, why not just carry around a USB cable so you can take files off your friend's laptop too?
4. You "heard" the N8 GPU is more powerful than the Iphone's? You're delusional again. The N8 uses broadcom's BCM2727 which is "decent"; however it is weaker than Iphone 3GS and Iphone 4's and all Mid to high end Android devices. The reason why it shows up as "comparable" on benchmark's is because the fact that the N8 displays only at 640x360(nHD) which gives you a total pixel count of 230400, where as most android devices displays at 800*480 giving you pixel count of 384000, thats a difference of over 150000 pixels that android devices have to render so their GPU is far more powerful. Also the iphone 4's GPU renders more pixels than Android devices. So think again buddy.
5. So you tested OVI maps to a Mid range Garmin? Which model? what version maps? I would like to hear this. Also what features were you comparing that you found OVI maps to be better? Funny how you say OVI suite is the best, didn't you hear? Nokia is changing the name because they want to start fresh. OVI leaves a bad taste in people's mouth and Nokia doesn't want to associate with the name "OVI" anymore. Also you say iOS doesn't have "true multitasking", guess what? Neither does WP7, you do know Nokia plans to use WP7 right? Aside from core features such as music and webloading(which iOS does have multitasking for) other things won't have true multitasking in WP7.
6. Why would Apple want to include drag and drop function onto their iphones? You do know itunes is a core feature of apple correct? It was a core feature for ipods, and the Iphone is suppose to replace the ipods. What next? You're going to complain that the Iphone doesn't have a standard USB plug and uses a proprietary one? Guess what? Its the same proprietary plug as Ipods and Ipods touch. Apple is thinking of their previous customers, those who have an ipod are much more likely to own an iphone than another phone.
7. I assume you are from the US since you're using US pricing for phones, where are you finding a $700 USD Android device? Even the Motorola Atrix and TMobile G2x are only $499. If you're going to try to justify your crappy N8, at least use real world pricing not some pricing you "heard". I don't know about you but the G2x is sold out at T Mobile, for something so "buggy", why isn't the C7(free on contract) not outselling it? Especially since you would think C7 would be in lesser supply as it uses an AMOLED screen vs the G2x's IPS.
8. So android devices need 1GHz to compete? You do know most midrange devices for android runs 800MHz right? Those perform much better than the N8 in every aspect except for camera. It's okay though, if you like being delusional you can stay that way. We'll just laugh hysterically at you once Nokia fails even after switching over to WP7.
I love to argue, 31 May 2011Have you seen these videos ?
http://www.yout... moreI hav the SG1 here...I install Garmin and nDrive...and SUUUCKS
It works better my Old nokia with Nokia maps than this one...
But I don't care youtube videos I HAVE the phones here at my hands :D so, everithing els can't change my point of view since I already do some test and men.....those two sucks big time against WP7 devices
I can't sacrifice the rich functionality of my N8 (12MP, HDMI+Dolby, FM transmitter, USB OTG, etc.), not to mention the solid aluminium construction and the colorful and unique (not monotonous iPhone-like) design, in exchange of just the lightning UI speed and full flash on the web browser. Not worth it.
The Boy with Red Hat, 31 May 2011Buddy I have the 3 phones right here in my hands
And believeme the differences are HUGEEEE... moreHave you seen these videos ?
Did you see how the Android phone opens GPS, Messaging, calender, Gmail, gallery, youtube app, etc faster even when there is a live wallpaper and many widgets & apps running in the background ? See how fast and perfectly it renders web pages WITH flash ?
What WP7 has is a very smooth UI with tooooo much animation (overkill) and least functionality and customizability. Whereas what android has is a fast UI with minimal (but sufficient) animations and MAXIMUM functionality & customisation.
Finally, this is just a Nexus S, i'm talking about. A Galaxy SII kicks the a$$ of any WP7 or iOS phones out there.
The Boy with Red Hat, 31 May 2011I will wait for the Nokia W series. Yesterday I was playing with a new HTC device with WP7 ... moreyaaa ok.. y not desire hd with wp7..or atrix or sg2 or the new sensation from htc. there are many out there.
Anonymous, 31 May 2011opera mobile on symbian is as smooth as any browser in the mobile realm. you clearly havent us... morehttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v...ilpage#t=74s opera mobile 11 for N8
four minutes video, i didn't see ANY smooth zooming in that video. Clearly you are lying, typical nokiaboy.
opera mini 6 for iPhone http://www.youtube.com/watch?v...lpage#t=109s look how smooth that pinch zoom is, that level smoothness you can get with android and iPhone and WP7 phones etc.
But why not with nokia?
Thank god next year we can get Nokia WP7 phones, WP7 browser is buttery smooth. Nokia users finally going to realize how well browser can work.
Anonymous, 31 May 2011I think he's trying to make the valid point that WP7 is actually better than what most of us a... moreExactly
Is an excellent experience use the WP7 OS, I was pleased, and amazed.
I was fan of WP6.1/WP6.5 and I even use the WP7 oroginal but the lack of capy paste among other was unpleasant and I didn't take another WP again..
Now this phone/OS simply ROCKS, the HTC 7 Surround is cool, but was the combination of hardware and software that make me a big smile in my face and most of the "ugly" specs of origina WP7 was removed..but not ar all....that's why If WP7 Mango do a better job with this OS...man I will trow all my phones and get ASAP an WP7 Mango..and if it have the Nokia Brand on my new phone is going to be better for me :D
TGeorgeMihai, 31 May 2011I completly agree with you... 600/680MHz is enough for Symbian to run smooth, but the price is... moreOld specs? i think you should recheck your backgrounds on Nokia phones. The N8 is pentaband (first one in the world), 12 MP camera with dedicated camera sensor(first one, and still only one in the world), bluetooth 3.0 (again try to find that in the iphone4) HDMI with Dolby Surround (Still only one in the world), USB on the go (Never heard of it before the N8) Ive read the GPU is faster than iphone's GPU, Up to 48 GB, and don't even get me started with OVI maps, which i have personally compared hand in hand with a mid range Garmin dedicated GPS, and the OVI Maps is simply superior, that's just to name a few of the "older specs" of Nokia phones.
Symbian 3 is far more advanced than IOS, with VoIP lines, amazing widgets, true multitasking, plug and play to ANY pc or mac, just drag and drop files as if it was a pendrive. Also OVI Suite is by far the best application ever developed for a phone suite.
And the N8 is now over 370 USD in amazon.com, you can get the Nokia Astound which is a very similar device for 75 USD with a contract in the US.
My point is... and believe me... i know about this, there are no phones right now, as complete and cheap as Nokia phones out there, They're just too good to compare to any 700 USD Android, that hasn't half the specs the N8 has, and that according to what i have read, are buggy as hell.
In my opinion the Iphone is too "simple" and outdated to compare it to the beast the Nokia phones are, Android phones are good competition, but they're too expensive, they need +1 Ghz and over 1Gb of Ram to run the OS, and still lack most of the features the 375 USD N8 has. And with the new Symbian 3 updates around the corner, people will start to wonder when did the Symbian 3 became so amazing.
You can let Mac's and Google's advertising blind you, and start repeating like a parrot what they say, or you can go to GSM arena, check the specs, try Nokia phones in stores, compare, and start standing out of the crowd, being smarter, and getting your money's worth.
I love to argue, 31 May 2011What the hell ? How is this article even remotely related to HTC Mozart or Galaxy S ? You want... moreI think he's trying to make the valid point that WP7 is actually better than what most of us are told on here. I've tried it and was pleasantly surprised.
I love to argue, 31 May 2011What the hell ? How is this article even remotely related to HTC Mozart or Galaxy S ? You want... moreBuddy I have the 3 phones right here in my hands
And believeme the differences are HUGEEEE
If Mango is just the Half of WP7 (udated) Android will be in big troubles :D
And I don't base these test on reviews is pure and simple LIFE TESTS and the 3 phones has exactly the sames specs...same proc, ALL THE SAME :D
The Boy with Red Hat, 31 May 2011I will wait for the Nokia W series.
Yesterday I was playing with a new HTC device with WP7 ... moreWhat the hell ? How is this article even remotely related to HTC Mozart or Galaxy S ? You want to start another fanboy war over here ?
BTW if you're trying to say that *newer* android phones are slower than WP7 then that's not the case. New breed of android phones are as fast or faster than any WP7 phone, while maintaining much much more functionality.
The Boy with Red Hat, 31 May 2011I will wait for the Nokia W series. Yesterday I was playing with a new HTC device with WP7 ... moreFrozen Galaxy S ?? Wow dude congrats ! I have my SG1 for 10 months now and I had only 1 frozen phone because of the game "dungeon defenders". I rly dont know what sh*t you had in your hands, probably it was Galaxy with hacked system, not the oryginal updated one. LOL
Anonymous, 31 May 2011opera mobile on symbian is as smooth as any browser in the mobile realm. you clearly havent us... moreI think he's half right. Mine had an awful zoom on my N8, but it's fixed now with the latest update.