News - Reader comments

Galaxy S II display reportedly has yellow spots, we test

01 June, 2011 | Read the news | Post your comment
Galaxy S II display reportedly has yellow spots, we test - read the full textThe Samsung I9100 Galaxy S II is having a magnificent debut on the smartphone scene, winning plenty of users for the Android and Samsung cause. Well it appears that not all is rosy with the Korean flagship as a watchful user has noticed an issue with that gorgeous 4.3 Super AMOLED Plus...

 

Sort by:

> In reply to Bricked @ 2011-06-01 18:47 from sXDk - click to readTrue, for the price of 550,- Eur, one would expect a screen without a defect like that.

I think the main reason we see so many hardware failures is that all the fanboys tend to ignore every negative aspect of their favorite product. Why spend money on quality control if the prople buy your smartphone anyway? Vote with your wallet, it's the only language Samsung understands.

  • Reply
  • 2011-06-01 18:59
  • TnXT

> In reply to [deleted post]Dude you know android has a lot of problems :( look at moto atrix zooming problem and too much bugs :( :( lg optimus 2x after updated still has issues :and ( sony ericsson arc software issues :( . And now android king aka samsung galaxy sII display problem :( .

  • Reply
  • 2011-06-01 18:59
  • Sdri

Unfortunately, this is not the only problem of the Galaxy S II. The camera has the same green/pink/purple tint (different color every time you make a picture on a white background). In fact , the update that was supposed to fix the camera issue, does not help at all. I hope that somebody knows what could that be a software or a hardware problem(I know that some phones - HTC HD2, iPhone 4 to some extent would have the tint stuff, as well)? Is there a software solution to this? And more importantly, are there any official statements by Samsung?

  • Reply
  • 2011-06-01 18:58
  • ApJe

> In reply to joonius @ 2011-06-01 18:53 from Ti8v - click to readYou're saying that sgs II's yellow tint effect isn't a big one. Is it logical???

  • Reply
  • 2011-06-01 18:57
  • ut5y

> In reply to joonius @ 2011-06-01 18:53 from Ti8v - click to readWelcome to the Comments section. Where facts don't get in the way of agendas.

  • Reply
  • 2011-06-01 18:56
  • sXDk

> In reply to Gurushant @ 2011-06-01 18:40 from ut5y - click to readSamsung DID NOT supply AMOLEDs to Nokia. They were facing difficulties making enough AMOLEDs for their own phones, so where was the room to supply to Nokia? The following page shows a Nokia N8 disassembly:

http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown...rdown/3641/2

Take a look at Step 10. The AMOLED panel reads AMS. Now take a look at this link:

http://www.oled-info.com/ams-technologies

Looks likely they had a supplier OTHER THAN Samsung.

  • Reply
  • 2011-06-01 18:56
  • ttcu
  • The Boy with Red Hat
  • Report
  • Rating0

I'm personally don't hate Samsung, in fact I have a TV, Blue Ray and Video Cam from Sammy, but users needs to learn there's not perfect companies...

They burn Nokia for a error, now, Samsung was selling those displays to Nokia??

NOW Who's the real villian here???

  • Reply
  • 2011-06-01 18:56
  • LuNX

> In reply to [deleted post]You argue with heart... It's like trying to argue science against religion. Facts can't convince your religious beliefs in Nokia.

Arguments I had against Nokia did not come from hating the company, but it was logical. Your argument comes from hating Samsung. Clearly can't argue here.

  • Reply
  • 2011-06-01 18:53
  • Ti8v

> In reply to The Boy with Red Hat @ 2011-06-01 18:51 from LuNX - click to readMe too.. I am just hoping they use retina displays used in iphone.

  • Reply
  • 2011-06-01 18:52
  • ut5y

Just checked my S2 and its not showing any darker areas or yellow spots

  • Reply
  • 2011-06-01 18:52
  • 3HRr
  • The Boy with Red Hat
  • Report
  • Rating0

I hope Nokia W series are'nt using displays from Samsung...:D

Or we will have pink, green, yellow, blue, black and skitters colors on it :D

  • Reply
  • 2011-06-01 18:51
  • LuNX

It is enough to put customers off from getting the device once they learn about this problem. You can't say ignore the problem. It's trivial. This problem will constantly bug you as long as you see it on your phone screen. It's time Galaxy S II users experience the horror that N8 users have already experienced because of Samsung's failed technology.

  • Reply
  • 2011-06-01 18:50
  • t7Xh

It's to be expected.

People are far more critical of handsets now that the prices are very high. This goes to show that the SGS2 isn't as perfect as people think.

Then again, a lot of phone displays are having problems now. Could it be because of increased demand and the need to push these things out fast as possible?

By the way, I have an N8, and the screen is flawless.

  • Reply
  • 2011-06-01 18:47
  • sXDk

Damn...just when I thought this was a phone with no significant weaknesses.

  • Reply
  • 2011-06-01 18:47
  • utXr

> In reply to joonius @ 2011-06-01 18:38 from Ti8v - click to readi dont know who your favorite is but there's no perfect device ever on earth get it straight,today is samsung tomorrow it could your favorite...dont be too happy and quick to comment...its a machine a prone to faults and defects....relax dude

  • Reply
  • 2011-06-01 18:43
  • N7AQ

> In reply to joonius @ 2011-06-01 18:41 from Ti8v - click to readGo to n8 comments section u will notice that lots of people replaced the n8 but got the same defective unit like over 8 times!!!

  • Reply
  • 2011-06-01 18:43
  • ut5y

> In reply to Gurushant @ 2011-06-01 18:40 from ut5y - click to readSamsung made displays for Nokia and they are responsible for this?

Duh! Defenitly, Samsung is not good with any one, even themselves.

I was starting to belive this was a complot against Nokia and now they are victims of their own sins...

  • Reply
  • 2011-06-01 18:43
  • LuNX

> In reply to joonius @ 2011-06-01 18:39 from Ti8v - click to readDon't worry soon SGS II's yellow tint will be noticeable, when n8 was arrived it didn't had purple issue but with the time being the display developed the tint due to the inferior products samsung has used for display. Now soon SGS II will suffer from this issue if its not resolved immediately.

  • Reply
  • 2011-06-01 18:42
  • ut5y

> In reply to Gurushant @ 2011-06-01 18:40 from ut5y - click to readScreen defect is not the main reason why N8 had poorer sales. Users could exchange until they receive a non-defective unit.

  • Reply
  • 2011-06-01 18:41
  • Ti8v

> In reply to Dave @ 2011-06-01 18:37 from IsHH - click to readyep its true those samsung guys supplied defective AMOLED screens to n8, which turned to be a big hurdle in the sales in addition to the use of symbian

  • Reply
  • 2011-06-01 18:40
  • ut5y

Note: Sponsored advertising links are in green.