News - Reader comments

Nokia N950 MeeGo developer's platform packs QWERTY keyboard

21 June, 2011 | Read the news | Post your comment
Nokia N950 MeeGo developer's platform packs QWERTY keyboard - read the full textThe long awaited MeeGo device is finally a reality and it turns out it has a brother - the Nokia N950 is a developer's platform running MeeGo and packs a QWERTY keyboard along with similar specs to that of the N9. The Nokia N950 is likely one of the leaked MeeGo devices that was rumored to be...

 

Sort by:

> In reply to fbn @ 2011-06-21 13:08 from tVtL - click to readpeople do use them, I am a die hard physical slide out, will never go to a pure touch screen, so much easier, short cuts, etc... Keep them rolling out pls nokia because they are starting to run low

  • Reply
  • 2013-04-29 14:38
  • RN@2

I am a heavy texter so I need a physical,qwerty keyboard,a quick processor and lots of memory.Also because of health/fitness apps I use,I need a phone with 32GB to 64GB. My 9800's 624 processor is too slow.The i4S has great apps but only an on screen keyboard .My plan is up,so who ever can come up with the best phone to meet my requirements,gets my business.Simple as that.

  • Reply
  • 2012-01-26 13:36
  • ii91

Agreed about we dont need dual core phones yet, but we (nokia fans) still need: as the first and most important fail that Nookia has since its creation 1) A BIGGER BATTERY OMG !!! 2) better screen resolution, 3) lot of RAM (accomplished this time) 4) stable and powerful OS (accomplished on N900, i hope Meego can even beat that)
5)Docking capabilities 6) External bluetooth Mouse and keyboard connection capability (so you can connect the phone in a TV or something and use it like a normal PC)

  • Reply
  • 2011-06-24 15:30
  • j012

> In reply to A @ 2011-06-21 17:22 from 6D1H - click to readok, i agree.

  • Reply
  • 2011-06-24 15:22
  • j012

> In reply to blabal @ 2011-06-21 16:50 from 39ks - click to readMaybe u are right. A lot of ram helps too. My N900 with 600 mhz.runs so great. I cant imagine a native 1ghz. with 1 gb of RAM. but we all know that when u start installing apps, things start to become little more sloowwwww. GO NOKIA GO !

  • Reply
  • 2011-06-24 15:20
  • j012

> In reply to Sid @ 2011-06-21 12:35 from 2@nJ - click to readMeego a disaster ? it looks like u never touched a N900....

  • Reply
  • 2011-06-24 15:14
  • j012

i really hope stripping down any warranty and support will affect price of this device in customer (better say developper) friendly direction. And that camera will be good enough to be used for barcode reader :-)))

  • Reply
  • 2011-06-23 09:28
  • Svec

> In reply to Anonymous @ 2011-06-22 16:02 from Mx@E - click to readtrue! but not entirely... Indeed Nokia tried to introduce N-gage, but they dropped almost immediately N-gage platform mobiles - i suppose they considered it to be born dead. Then they made it just a feature in N class devices which you agree were the most expensive and no one would buy phone just to play with it, as it happens now with iPhone and android devices. And while i'm on the topic - mobile phones can not compete with portable game cosoles, because of worse screen, battery life and game experience. I do not even consider true game cosoles as PS, Nintendo, x-box, or the PC, where network play is practically free compared to "unlimited" mobile data plans.

  • Reply
  • 2011-06-23 09:25
  • Svec

> In reply to kyuubiflame @ 2011-06-23 03:51 from NMvt - click to readyeah! Tesla tech is the "death-grip" for all radio telecommunications. It willl never be implemented becasue it will increase the risk for all people with hearth implants.

  • Reply
  • 2011-06-23 09:13
  • Svec

> In reply to The Boy with Red Hat @ 2011-06-23 05:24 from LuNX - click to read?? what you mean as "OS market" ??? What Nokia or any other hardware manufacturer has with OS market, except for being customers there?

  • Reply
  • 2011-06-23 09:08
  • Svec
  • The Boy with Red Hat
  • Report
  • Rating0

And At + $600 dlls is very hard to sell agains other phones.

Nokia will need to have a good profits for this one if they want to make this phone live and can be a disaster like N900 series.

Only future will know but experts are'nt too confident on the life time for Meego...

  • Reply
  • 2011-06-23 05:36
  • LuNX
  • The Boy with Red Hat
  • Report
  • Rating0

> In reply to [deleted post]If you Kill WP7 you Kill Nokia, Meego's future is not as bright as you think :P The only chance Nokia have to succed in OS Market is WP7.5

http://www.linuxfordevices.com...ws/Nokia-N9/

Even in Linux Blogs says Meego don't have future.

You will need Not only signatures from Twitter...You need actually BUY IT.

You see, you can't make this phone work if nobody buy it...So you need to sold 1 million of these in the 1Q of launch to make Nokia think is worth, if not, 1 million signatures don't going to save Meego from extinction...Becasue for Nokia is a Busniess and meego is DOA (Death On Arrive) No support, no Apps, and No future.....

  • Reply
  • 2011-06-23 05:24
  • LuNX

> In reply to A @ 2011-06-22 19:16 from 6D1H - click to readGo look up what the tesla generator is and free energy is they you'll see what is what

  • Reply
  • 2011-06-23 03:51
  • NMvt

> In reply to A @ 2011-06-22 19:16 from 6D1H - click to readLike I said before (posted from MNSr), and it goes to aaptk too...I agree with you, I really do. It's not like ppl need dual or even a quad core CPU, but knowing that they exist is actually a guarantee that we'll get some more and more capable programs for our devices. I know that there is not much things that 1GHz processor can't do (it can even do a video converting), but you have to admit that some ppl use their phones for mobile gaming. I don't need to say more.

aaptk said that it wouldn't make sense having quad core on win95...and it's true. But do you still use win95? No! Why? Because more powerful hardware (among other things) has motivated developers to create windows 7 (eventually).

I hope you understand what I want to say. salute

  • Reply
  • 2011-06-23 01:14
  • mV7E

Would love this to be a consumer device but dont think that will ever happen, from what iv read on some websites this phone was blocked by carriers for whatever reason. This phone looks good and Meego looks pretty good to N9 it will be!

  • Reply
  • 2011-06-23 00:28
  • 32Dt

Video N950

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v...D2k&hd=1

  • Reply
  • 2011-06-22 23:34
  • nx1@

> In reply to Anonymous @ 2011-06-22 13:21 from MNSr - click to readYour analogy is flawed, because we do need essentials like gasoline, electricity, and refrigeration to sustain our standard of living. What we don't need are people whining about the lack of dual core cpu on a mobile device, as if it's somehow going to hold them back from their important, super-demanding daily tasks of facebooking and watching youtube on all the glory of a 4 inch screen.

  • Reply
  • 2011-06-22 19:16
  • 6D1H

> In reply to Anonymous @ 2011-06-21 19:16 from t@G8 - click to readI never got a certificate error installing apps from the Ovi store, and they got thousands of apps there. Not that it matters, because most of them are garbage, just like for apple and android.

Other than Angry Birds, I don't care how many games you have, because the control scheme in touchscreen gaming is horrible. I already have a gaming PC and console when I want seriously entertaining games. Gaming on a phone involves swiping your finger back and forth, or tiling your phone left to right, and both of those are a pathetic excuse for "entertainment"

  • Reply
  • 2011-06-22 17:43
  • 6D1H

> In reply to simple user @ 2011-06-22 08:06 from Svec - click to readWere Nokia not the first manufacturer to introduce games on phones? I seem to remember a certain Nokia handset with "Snake" on it. Also I believe Nokia were the first manufacturer to introduce a phone made for gaming in the form of the N-Gage.

So... technically not true that Nokia don't accomodate gamers then :-)

  • Reply
  • 2011-06-22 16:02
  • Mx@E

I would really like to try this one out.. I already use a lot of apps on my e72 with a developer certificate (signed with a signer :D) so i'm kind of used to it XD... being that it is a developers phone I wonder if it's gonna need certificates at all.. ok it's probably a good idea to wait a while for a more stable version of the os but I bet it's gonna be sweet...

about games... for all of you who think nokia doesn't have games i can tell you you're wrong.. i have a few favourites... strategies, rpg's, car simulations... they all look great and this is a pretty old platform so i wouldn't be very concerned about games...

one more thing about meeGo...
this platform is intended to be used on tablets as well... so again no problem with app support...

  • Reply
  • 2011-06-22 15:59
  • pXf2

Note: Sponsored advertising links are in green.