News - Reader comments

Android top operating system in the US, Apple top manufacturer

28 July, 2011 | Read the news | Post your comment
Android top operating system in the US, Apple top manufacturer - read the full textAccording to the latest research by Nielsen conducted in the month of June, Android has again come out as the top smartphone operating system with 39 percent market share. Meanwhile, Apple with its iOS has gained a market share of 28 percent, also managing to become the top smartphone manufacturer...

 

Sort by:

nokia symbian belle could b the tough cookie for tha android....firefox wil also bring their own operating system.....

  • Reply
  • 2012-05-04 23:39
  • uNVC

it would be better if Android tries its utmost to completely get rid of iOS since iOS has done some thieving from other brand-name phone's app (esp. Samsung).

  • Reply
  • 2011-12-14 16:28
  • ITjs

why nokia still not launch a android os phones..?

  • Reply
  • 2011-08-06 13:47
  • bJex

Nokia will disappear in the market in coming two years if they are still using the lower graded hardware and OS.

  • Reply
  • 2011-08-02 04:21
  • t4NW

Nokia used to be the leader years ago and now is the leader from the bottom. No wonder the Nokia phones in my country are kept in the shelves collecting dusts!!!

  • Reply
  • 2011-08-01 09:02
  • uCw$

Hey what happen to symbian Nokia is trying to pass Hp palm os

  • Reply
  • 2011-08-01 07:19
  • tetW

Ironically, none of the hardware is actually made / manufactured in the US ;-)

  • Reply
  • 2011-08-01 06:39
  • P@T8

> In reply to EndlessDream94 @ 2011-07-31 15:43 from qC$0 - click to readNokia can't afford what Apple is doing to advertise their products. Have you seen how much Apple spends on marketing?

  • Reply
  • 2011-07-31 23:32
  • qbY5

> In reply to Aruba @ 2011-07-31 07:35 from YHIA - click to readNo Apple doesn't actually manufacture anything, but these facilities work for Apple and have contracts with them. Just like many other companies who don't make a whole lot of their own products. Dell and HP are similar in that regard. Many American companies will do this primarily because of the unreal cost of labor for production in the US (don't get me started on that one lol). So they outsource to other countries where the labor costs haven't gone into the stratosphere and people are not paid $50 an hour to do almost nothing.

  • Reply
  • 2011-07-31 23:20
  • qC$0

> In reply to Nokia Rules @ 2011-07-29 17:16 from kJX3 - click to readI would love to be able to purchase a classy 12mp Nokia running WP7 at some point. What Nokia NEEDS to do is find a clever way through marketing to show the world that WP7 and Nokia are something special. I'm not talking about going out and bragging about specs and such... that approach doesn't always work. They need to use the Apple approach. Apple has in recent years been focusing more on what a device can do and how it relates to people and daily functions... family, work, fun, etc. And its WORKING!!! If Nokia can capture some of that "magic" and stomp on the "always talk about specs/tech" Android way of doing things - they may have a chance. I get really bored sometimes when I see all these Android devices that all they talk about is specs specs specs. Tell me about what the device can do, not whats under the hood. If the device does some amazing things - I really don't care what's under the hood or makes it tick.

This, in my honest opinion, is exactly what Nokia needs to do.

  • Reply
  • 2011-07-31 15:43
  • qC$0
  • The Boy with Red Hat
  • Report
  • Rating0

> In reply to Slug @ 2011-07-29 15:00 from nF9{ - click to readWell

Fact 1: Symbian has been one of the mayor OS in ythe entire history, now that OS is not so popular but a lot of people still using it. And a lot of "used" phones still on line

Fact 2: Apple still beating all manufactures only because is ONLY 1 BRAND agains all others, that have a huge merit for Apple, since not even ALL the manufacturers joined can beat Apple sales profits.

Fact 3: Apple is leading in Phone design, in fact...all the others are copycats of iPhone, and not bye the phone itself, by ALL THE DESIGN, from the positioning of the buttoms to the frames around the phone..

Fact 4: People that like buy iGadgets don't need conversion, they got what they want at any cost, you can see any time Apple launch a new pHone LINES of people trying to get a new iPhone...You can't see that react with ANY Android/Symbian/RIM Phone.

Fact 5: That's your point of view, you don't even know if there will be a new OS on Market or the react of WP7 Mango, or iOS new releases, remeber today one can be on tp tomorrow you are out of the game, same history of Symbian can be on Android, no one is excent of that.

Fact 6: Of course iPhone are Premium Devices, iPhones aren't made it for any one, in fact Apple make their phones a "way of living" and "social status" in soo many countries, even a child can difference an iPhone from any other manufacturer, thats an amazing result for Apple, people recognizes more the Apple logo than the Android Robot.

Fact 7: Apple no need that, The have a LOT of people working for them and underground. Jailbreakers works almost at "hand" with Apple, Apple knows this and they let it do it. The Apple community is huge, Dev Team is the most recognized among others, even that theres a lot of people that don't like Jailbreak their phones, they got the money and they don't care nothing about restrictions.

For me, I uses tree of them (iOS, Symbian and Android) one has strong points over the other BUT I don't have any preference between, BUT I have a better experiences with iOS (response, stability and performance) over the other two. But this is a matter of taste..

  • Reply
  • 2011-07-31 08:51
  • LrKU

Does Apple actually manufacture anything?

I thought Foxconn made everything for them??

  • Reply
  • 2011-07-31 07:35
  • YHIA

When baby born slowly slowly he getting older older and in the end of life he went to haven. This is what happing to old to new technology. Old left behind new begins.

  • Reply
  • 2011-07-31 00:06
  • 49xm

I am using HTC Desire HD, its awesome phone with htc interface with android 2.3.3,
thnx to google and htc.

  • Reply
  • 2011-07-30 18:11
  • vGxZ

to theaffidavit @ut3j,

yeah, as u said :

this article only writes about "smart phones" but not "mobile phones"this article only writes about "smart phones" but not "mobile phones"

well...im refering to ths article n its show almost non-existance of symbian in US markets, n dats y i said its dead..

i dun care bout other news o story as my comment for this forum only : Android top operating system in the US, Apple top manufacturer

i commenting on dis particular subject only not worldwide o other news,

cheers,

  • Reply
  • 2011-07-30 04:12
  • PUBr

android or ios which is best
view lot more about android 2.3 vs ios5 ,which os is best? to http://www.techzyber.com
read the post and select the best os for you
anroid or apple ios which is best for performance and style

  • Reply
  • 2011-07-30 02:59
  • 7ty5

In the second paragraph author was wrote that HTC is at second place in smartphone US market, and that Samsung is at third place. That is not true.
Nielsen graph showes this rankings:
1 - Apple (28 % of US market)
2 - RIM (20 %)
2 - HTC (14 + 6 = 20 %)
4 - Motorola (11 %)
5 - Samsung (8 + 2 = 10 %)
6 - WinMo + WP7 (9 %)
7 - HP (2 %)
7 - Nokia (2 %)
9 - others (6 + 1 = 7 %)
Ergo: Samsung is at the fifth place, and HTC and RIM are sharing second place.

  • Reply
  • 2011-07-29 21:55
  • 3ITY

> In reply to Microsoft WP OS rule @ 2011-07-29 19:49 from m5Ns - click to readdon't matter all nokia need to do improve on their software os and have meego as their main os.

  • Reply
  • 2011-07-29 20:30
  • n5P0
  • Microsoft WP OS rule
  • Report
  • Rating0

> In reply to android user @ 2011-07-29 18:26 from n5P0 - click to readBut Microsoft Windows Phone OS oldest soft maker and with almost everyone us :D They was when Nokia Symbian once TOP phone maker they with us now and Nokia even gonna to use they soft as a main Nokia OS, LOL.

  • Reply
  • 2011-07-29 19:49
  • m5Ns

> In reply to w1lly @ 2011-07-29 18:01 from 7q9{ - click to readyeah and don't forget it will happen to ios too everything gone down those day then when new thing come out it gone like this bang!

  • Reply
  • 2011-07-29 18:26
  • n5P0

Note: Sponsored advertising links are in green.