News - Reader comments

Apple and Samsung outstrip Nokia as top smartphone vendors in Q2

29 July, 2011 | Read the news | Post your comment
Apple and Samsung outstrip Nokia as top smartphone vendors in Q2 - read the full textQ2 of 2011 is now almost over and the results are in for the smartphone shipments volumes. Just a week ago it became certain that Apple has surpassed Nokia in smartphone shipments for Q2 but now Samsung and HTC have released their numbers. Strategy Analytics confirm that Apple has come out on top...

 

Sort by:

> In reply to EndlessDream94 @ 2011-08-03 00:23 from qC$D - click to readif you want a simple os then Apple is the way forward, if you want to really use a phone then Anroid is best, As for symbian i have not known any os with so many problems, Its got to the point where i dont sell Nokias anymore shortly followed by sonys, Android does have its minor problems but for phones that do so much i would gladly accept this, Iphone has its own set of problems as well, i repair as many iphones as i do Android but thats nothing compared to how many Nokias and Sonys that get repaired for software issues.

  • Reply
  • 2011-08-03 11:00
  • Mx@E

> In reply to EndlessDream94 @ 2011-08-03 00:11 from qC$D - click to readThat's very funny! You label Android as a bad OS and yet you continue to reafirm your objectivity! You are portraing Androin in strong negative terms and yet you claim you speak from an objective high ground! That's one of the most hipocrite attitudes i've seen here! Maybe you don't realise it,but you are contradicting yourself in this area! As for Android VS iOS...The majority decides what's best! Android is the most appreciated OS at this moment and countless people choose to buy Android phones! Of course,many are low-middle end handsets but Android flagships like SG 1 and 2, sensation and arc are doing very well on the market! The point is that a lot more people appreciate and trust Google and Android than Apple! By continouing to prase Apple achievement and minimise it's faults you are trying to portray apple users like a some kind of pseudo-eliteist minority! That's one of the fible ard basellest arguments usually used by Apple fans! The fact of the matter is that a most people reject iOS and preffer Android! And this trend will continue!

  • Reply
  • 2011-08-03 10:20
  • SvBn

> In reply to Sun Down @ 2011-07-31 10:11 from PF5p - click to readhow come nokia is not able to give a basic dual sim phone which has taken more than a year time(released C200) but not fulfilling the customers/nokia fans expectations yet, when other phone makers have already established a lead in this dual sim tech. all the happenings show chines are good at dual and three sim phones.

  • Reply
  • 2011-08-03 08:51
  • uuh0

> In reply to JunePhilippines @ 2011-07-31 04:43 from t7GE - click to readyes this is the real life. cusomers are always made to spend by one way or other, new device /technology/features..... if u have a lot to spend go spend. discuss some of ur experiences about the device, their ups and downs which would be of more use to other . lets see for reliability/safety and greener earth out of devices which v use. let us become fans of greener earth. less cell phone use more health.. sorry to divert.

  • Reply
  • 2011-08-03 07:25
  • uuh0

> In reply to JunePhilippines @ 2011-07-31 04:43 from t7GE - click to readyes this is the real life. cusomers are always made to spend by one way or other, new device /technology/features..... if u have a lot to spend go spend. discuss some of ur experiences about the device, their ups and downs which would be of more use to other . lets see for reliability/safety and greener earth out of devices which v use. let us become fans of greener earth. less cell phone use more health.. sorry to divert.

  • Reply
  • 2011-08-03 07:22
  • uuh0

> In reply to Sun Down @ 2011-07-31 10:11 from PF5p - click to readthen why so long to have a basic dual sim phone by nokia . nokia c200 a dual sim, long awaited released last month(after a year) has missed features which are common in unbranded phones. why is this when nokia has tasted and tested technology,hardware and different os . nokia fans are not satisfied with nokia c200. a hot swap feature of nokia c200 alone will not win the dual sim phone race. nokia has lost the race to samsung/lg/unbranded .

  • Reply
  • 2011-08-03 07:06
  • uuh0

> In reply to Sun @ 2011-08-02 21:23 from SvBn - click to readI haven't forgotten anything. I personally feel that, while antenna-gate was a bit overblown, Apple made some bad choices in the design of iPhone 4. Even still its selling incredibly well. Apple isn't perfect with everything they do, I never said they were. You actually did come on strong with your insults about my memory and how you grouped me in with other Apple fanatics. So yea it was an attack of sorts. And while android users may be in the majority, most of them don't necessarily realize that the phones they bought are android. They got they because they are "blue" or "pretty screen". One lady at work recently had no idea she could download apps onto her android phone. Android only has a large market share because its available on everything! That's not a clear indication that everyone wants android... its a clear indication that GOOGLE wants Android as the market leader. Android is buggy, it lags, it crashes, and its a memory/resource hog. And you really haven't given any real reasons why WP7 is a bad choice for Nokia... so you can lay off the accusations that I haven't supported why I feel its a good choice. And btw - I don't recall saying it was a good choice. I'm being very objective about all of this with Nokia. Personally I'd rather see them pump more into Meego and get a few of those units here in the US. Preferably one with a 12mp snapper like the one in the N8. So you can lay off your branding me as some sort of blind fanboy that has no idea what he is talking about. I'm fully aware of the flaws of Android... kinda like that android trojan app that was discovered that records phone calls. Nice huh? Android... no thanks. Been there. Was not pleased OR impressed. As for Samsung... when they can shut off their copier machines and come up with some ideas of their own maybe I'll reconsider buying one of their products again. That and if they can increase their poor customer satisfaction ratings (below industry average). Sorry, but I'll keep my Nokia N8. It works great and doesn't fail like the Android I had did. And since you were so fond of bashing me for liking Apple products... just remember I've never experienced any problems with Apple products. And regardless of what you think and how superior you feel you are... I have always been and will remain objective. Why do you think I even tried the Samsung Galaxy in the first place? Because I am objective and very much wanted to like the phone. Didn't long till I was fed up!

  • Reply
  • 2011-08-03 00:23
  • qC$D

> In reply to Sun @ 2011-08-02 21:51 from SvBn - click to readBragging about Android being the market leader is about as much as saying the Ford Escort outsold most other cars in the 80s. Sure they sold a lot but they weren't very good. And its easily possible to be an enthusiast of a product and remain objective.

  • Reply
  • 2011-08-03 00:11
  • qC$D

> In reply to EndlessDream94 @ 2011-08-01 22:59 from 4@35 - click to readYes,I believe you have no authority to claim you're an objective person! Since I'm an "Ihater" and you are defending them by repeteadly praising their achievements you can't deny your preference! Accusing the other party of being a "hater" "extremist" while on the other hand praising Apple is very hipocrite! I was right to say you are an Apple fanatic devotee! Android is the leading OS at the moment and will remain that way for a long time!

  • Reply
  • 2011-08-02 21:51
  • SvBn

> In reply to EndlessDream94 @ 2011-08-01 22:54 from 4@35 - click to readFirst of all I never used eny offensive words in regard to you in eny of my posts,so you have no reason to accuse me of enything! You are interpreting the right of free speech as an attack! I stated in my post the reasons that make me believe that WP is an unfortunate choice for Nokia!...You failed to come up with eny contra-arguments...As for Apple....You are portraing this company as Snow White...maybe you forgot that Apple has just reached a negociated settlement with Nokia and will have to pay royalties?!!! Have you forgotten about the "antenagate" braw? Apple denied everything in the first place and only when the problem grew in proportions they admit it. You are saying that I'm an Android fanatic..but I believe you are the fanatic judging by the way you are fiercely defend them! And remember! Android users are the majority! Doesn't matter whitch brand...low-high end phone...Everyone has the right to express his opinion,but at the end of the day the majority decides...

  • Reply
  • 2011-08-02 21:23
  • SvBn

Samsung powns Apple

  • Reply
  • 2011-08-02 09:59
  • QtZd

Samsung,HTC and Apple/iPhone are COOL/HOT,but Nokia...!!!.

  • Reply
  • 2011-08-02 05:44
  • L17A

> In reply to Sun @ 2011-08-01 12:10 from SvBn - click to readAnd as for "usual Apple propaganda" I'm guessing you are referring to those of us that claim we never have any problems with our Apple products. You probably refer to that as lies and propaganda, right? You think we actually are having loads of problems but are just lying about it right? Just to help Apple maintain a strong outer image, right? Seriously????? You can like what you like and you have your reasons. So do I. But I'm sure you'll say that you are more objective than I am and I just chose what I chose because of a logo. Just remember... I don't use an iPhone. Or did you forget that?

  • Reply
  • 2011-08-01 22:59
  • 4@35

> In reply to Sun @ 2011-08-01 12:10 from SvBn - click to readHmmm.... I'm struggling to locate where I said "WP is a good OS... Microsoft has money". Unless that was someone else that you were speaking to. Funny thing is - there is no blind belief in Apple. I refer to it as a loyalty of quality. I have never had any problems with any Apple products so how is that "blind"? I find that iHaters only use that as an excuse as to why Apple is so successful... because to admit that Apple is superb at what they do is like admitting they are somehow better. And I never attacked you (the way you are attacking me) but you do fit into the same category of all the other arrogant pushy Fandroids out there that bash and lash out at anyone that doesn't blindly follow the Android band wagon and insult anything NON-Android. And when did I ever say I thought everyone was against me? I seriously think you have me mixed up with someone else. You can say whatever you like but I didn't come here to bash or insult. But I find the Android community (at least the fanatics) to be extremists that won't even admit it when something non android is better. Very childish.

  • Reply
  • 2011-08-01 22:54
  • 4@35

> In reply to Sure Buddy @ 2011-08-01 19:36 from jAGb - click to readSigh all ya want but you missed my point. Apple pulled themselves back to growing profits by other means... Their industry shocking innovations came later. And I never said Nokia WILL pull an Apple. I said they could do the same as Apple... They just need some vision. Currently they are not showing too much of that. But look how long it took before Apple realized it needed change in order to survive.

  • Reply
  • 2011-08-01 22:40
  • qC$j

> In reply to EndlessDream94 @ 2011-08-01 11:43 from qC$0 - click to read*SIGH*... and this was why I included stock price to show the growth of the years. With the introduction of the ibook/imac line Apple price grew from $13 to $30 within a year span. With the introduction of the ipod/itunes line in 2001, their stock grew from $42 to over $100 within the same year. This clearly shows that the ipod was and still is the main contributor to Apple's success and is the main reason why the Apple Iphone was received so well.

So again, please elaborate how Nokia will pull an "Apple" when they're not going to be releasing any innovative products or services like Apple Ipod/Iphone or Itunes? Ovi Market was a failure and still is. Ovi music is a failure as well. Nokia has lost the consumer's faith with their products which explains the decline in smart phone even though Nokia's average selling smart price is only 130 euros.

  • Reply
  • 2011-08-01 19:36
  • jAGb

> In reply to Gem86 @ 2011-08-01 14:41 from nidV - click to readIn other words, Android's market penetration will increase greatly over the coming year, in that respect Google has done some excellent product placement and even the fact that Android is not entirely smooth on the earlier midrange devices will work in its advantage, in the end.

(Sorry bout the doublepost, stuff came to mind :)

  • Reply
  • 2011-08-01 14:42
  • nidV

> In reply to Sun Down @ 2011-07-31 10:11 from PF5p - click to readProbably right, but you're forgetting the fact that the Smartphone world will soon be invaded by cheaper midrange smartphone versions that do every Android task equally well. We're already reaching a safezone (specs-wise) where Android runs smoothly on the current spec sheets in higher end devices and even midrange (ie. Optimus Black, Galaxy S Plus) and Nokia can only lose here, not win. Because if your tech-savvy friends have Android high-enders, why would you go for a WP7/Meego/Symbian midranger when you could get the same?

  • Reply
  • 2011-08-01 14:41
  • nidV

> In reply to angry jeffrey @ 2011-07-31 12:42 from Tr8a - click to readNo, they do it because Smartphones (higher midrange, mostly) have become affordable these days and the gap between dumbphones has been virtually closed. Value for money considerations, nothing more.

  • Reply
  • 2011-08-01 14:33
  • nidV

> In reply to dozerbull @ 2011-07-31 18:56 from rx7y - click to readRiiight, so you're saying that instead of several ongoing reports from companies that do this for a living should not be trusted, instead we should go on your (blatantly incorrect) gut feeling that WP7.5 "seems" more promising. You must have gotten that hunch from the awesome WP sales of the past *Sarcasm mode*

  • Reply
  • 2011-08-01 14:31
  • nidV

Note: Sponsored advertising links are in green.