News - Reader comments

Ice Cream Sandwich is officially a no go for Google Nexus One

26 October, 2011 | Read the news | Post your comment
Ice Cream Sandwich is officially a no go for Google Nexus One - read the full textAs the first device to bear the Nexus moniker, the Google Nexus One is still a highly revered Android smartphone. Sadly however, its owners will not be able to (officially) enjoy an update to the latest Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich. According to Hugo Barra - Android's product management...

 

Sort by:

> In reply to Tizen Takeover @ 2011-10-27 16:43 from jxxN - click to readI dont get people... First without XDA, Android would still be best, because most features Android already has, others need to jailbreak and that stuff before. Custom Roms are nice, I like them myself, but I am totally ok with a stock rom in that matter (might depend on the device, SGS1 i wanted a CROM, but on SGS2 not really needed, even if it is nice to have)

  • Reply
  • 2011-10-28 12:49
  • Jxh9

> In reply to yellow @ 2011-10-27 18:55 from gLah - click to readyou really think the nexus one is better than the nexus s?

  • Reply
  • 2011-10-28 02:59
  • 43hb

> In reply to yellow @ 2011-10-27 18:55 from gLah - click to readno no no thats not true. N1 uses a 1Ghz snapdragon QSD825. This is a 65NM processor, on snapdragon S1, Adreno 200. OLD. Meanwhile a Nexus S, also having a 1Ghz processor, however it is a Exynos 311o, 45Nm process and better gpu. Same clock speed, but better and more efficient. This is just like how a pentuim 4 can outpreform a pentim 3, even when both are clocked at 1.3 Ghz.

  • Reply
  • 2011-10-28 02:42
  • QUaT

> In reply to yellow @ 2011-10-27 18:55 from gLah - click to readwell you can still root it overclock it and install ICS

  • Reply
  • 2011-10-27 23:19
  • Ydg}

> In reply to [deleted post]nokia best at everything ? What are you smoking ? The best Hahaha. Like what ? Lens cover scratching the lens ? Battery exploding ? Unlock buton not unlocking ? Get real.

  • Reply
  • 2011-10-27 22:39
  • 0CYB

I Love this phone, I have two and I'm so said for this news.
I don't know which phone i can buy now?! This design is best in last 10 years!

  • Reply
  • 2011-10-27 19:34
  • sr$U

if nexus 1 the bet single core android phone in the market cant run ics tehn it means every one with last years android phones are screwed..sad sad android users

  • Reply
  • 2011-10-27 18:55
  • gLah

How about Sandwich (Android 4.0) for Google Note???

  • Reply
  • 2011-10-27 18:06
  • sr86

I owned a nexus one, and it was crap. It had too many random niggly melt downs to make it anywhere near enjoyable long term. I sold it as soon as I could, and honestly am not surprised google have now left it behind.

  • Reply
  • 2011-10-27 16:44
  • TdCY

And the complaining begins. AGAIN! Like I said before, without XDA, Android is nothing.

  • Reply
  • 2011-10-27 16:43
  • jxxN

This statement is ridiculous! The nexus one has the same amount of RAM and the processor should handle ICS with no sweat.

  • Reply
  • 2011-10-27 15:05
  • mB6w

please tell me I have xperia 10, will I be able to have Ice cream sandwivh update andriod?? thanks alot

  • Reply
  • 2011-10-27 15:02
  • uWK%

> In reply to gtr @ 2011-10-27 11:53 from nCiG - click to readYou mean that cause samsung made the google phone now?

  • Reply
  • 2011-10-27 14:12
  • nCiG

And this, my friends, is why Apple wins.

iOS 5 is released on a 2-and-a-half year old device. I feel sorry for the Nexus 1 owners. They've had to endure the first bugs of Eclair and now this!

  • Reply
  • 2011-10-27 13:59
  • mrLT

> In reply to belthaz @ 2011-10-27 11:50 from sF{A - click to readNo. S2E is working perfectly for me for months. Nothing is "unstable". This is a mod that has been around for almost 2 years, you say that Google cannot make it stable enough???

Second, 3GS does not have SIRI but has iOS 5. N1 should have ICS with no NFC and front camera support. That will make size smaller as well. What's the problem?

Google is going for what MSFT and Intel used to do in the 90's. Telling you that you need new hardware every time there is a new software release. As I said, Google is talking shXt.

  • Reply
  • 2011-10-27 13:40
  • Q{xY

this is just bullshit and you know it. The only difference between the QSD8520 ( Nexus One) and the MSM8255 (Xperia Arc, Neo, Arc S which Sony Ericsson said will get Ice Cream Sandwich) is the 45 nm manufacturing and adreno 200 vs 205. Big flipping deal. Same 1ghz same everything else.

  • Reply
  • 2011-10-27 12:28
  • 0CYB

maybe the reason cause the nexus one made by HTC maybe?!

  • Reply
  • 2011-10-27 11:53
  • nCiG

> In reply to ggl @ 2011-10-27 11:22 from Q{xY - click to readif they do data ext to N1 and the N1 became unstable, the blame will definitely go to google. btw Android is not like the simple and idiot-proof iOS, that is why the old iphone still get the new update but don't forget that the Siri doesn't available on old iphone because of hardware issue... Btw apple looks lame, android is awesome and so many stuff to learn from every each devices...

  • Reply
  • 2011-10-27 11:50
  • sF{A

this is quite sad but cyanogenmod will port it to nexus one or XDA so dont worry. nexus one is a great phone has very high spec when it came out and it still has high specs

  • Reply
  • 2011-10-27 11:38
  • Lh@5

If you all have a problem with it not being able to run on 2 year old hardware then write your own OS.. You say its poorly written? Apply for a job or rewrite it and submit it and see what google say. Else shut up buy your meego/symbian rubbish or go throw your money into the apple pool and be done with it.

  • Reply
  • 2011-10-27 11:34
  • 0BrH

Note: Sponsored advertising links are in green.