News - Reader comments

Ice Cream Sandwich is officially a no go for Google Nexus One

26 October, 2011 | Read the news | Post your comment
Ice Cream Sandwich is officially a no go for Google Nexus One - read the full textAs the first device to bear the Nexus moniker, the Google Nexus One is still a highly revered Android smartphone. Sadly however, its owners will not be able to (officially) enjoy an update to the latest Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich. According to Hugo Barra - Android's product management...

 

Sort by:

Well haha, then I have absolutely no hope of ever seeing ICS on my HTC Wildfire S. This however is further proof that android has really poorly written code, Meego for example could easily run on that hardware.

  • Reply
  • 2011-10-27 04:16
  • u{Hg

Im very disappointed by the comments here. It won't get it because Nexus One doesn't have enough internal memory. Gingerbread is taking almost all of it, and ICS is about twice as big. The other thing is, it's a developer phone, as soon as Google releases AOSP code, there will be plenty of ICS roms for it. They will remove some apps and other stuff from being installed in internal memory, and hack them to be installable on SD card. Google simply doesn't want to bring partial android experience to their phones.

I can say that I'm 99% sure that Nexus One will be running ICS.

  • Reply
  • 2011-10-27 04:08
  • QMsC

Just clarifying what I said before:
It depends on the system partition. Nexus one's system partition is 150MB, ICS is 300MB or so.

So if your system partition is big enough you can get ICS.

Or you can just get it through CM8/9 :)

  • Reply
  • 2011-10-27 04:01
  • i21j

> In reply to Anonymous @ 2011-10-27 03:39 from Ia90 - click to readNo mate,Android has always been resource hungry... The ICS is only going to make those dual core phones better... Otherwise its not for less-capable phones... Some of them may get it and some may not... Who knows??? You say that the version has just been released and just because it doesnt support a 2 year old devices doesnt mean it is resource-hungry but your perception is wrong... Even the 3GS supports iOS 5 and its more than 2 years old... So it is easy to say that Android is still resource hungry...

  • Reply
  • 2011-10-27 03:53
  • mcja

Next year will be Moto-Nexus. He ;-)

  • Reply
  • 2011-10-27 03:41
  • 9GtH

Guys, the real reason it's not getting it isn't because of the 512MB of ram. It's because the built in storage (ROM) isn't enough.

The processor and ram are good enough to run ICS. Nexus S is only slightly faster CPU wise.

TL;DR: ICS will come to Nexus one unofficially. And other single core phones can get ICS depending on their manufacturer.

  • Reply
  • 2011-10-27 03:41
  • i21j

> In reply to Nokia Fanboy PRO @ 2011-10-27 02:28 from kJX3 - click to readIt's not resource hungry if it's on par with current technological advancements.

To say an OS is resource hungry just cause it doesn't work on a two-year old handset is, well, plain stupid.

  • Reply
  • 2011-10-27 03:39
  • Ia90

WTF Google.....?
Even 600MHz 3GS is powerful enough for Apple's latest IOS......

  • Reply
  • 2011-10-27 03:27
  • IV50

Better switch to apple then, they give you better support to older devices and it is proven.

  • Reply
  • 2011-10-27 03:15
  • Ui}%

n1! r.i.p~

  • Reply
  • 2011-10-27 02:59
  • RI1T
  • The Boy with Red Hat
  • Report
  • Rating0

> In reply to Raj @ 2011-10-27 02:46 from qp4q - click to readMe

Google is doing the same as Symbian...

Symbian do the better updates for Nokia instead Sony E, that's make sense, Symbian and Nokia have an history together.

Same will be between Google and Motorola, the best updates will be for their own phones...then the others (If you have luck)...this will be a push for Motorola for get their devices, you will have Google approve for updates and Motorola will have all the benefits..this was a matter of time until Goolge have their own phones as Nokia, Apple and Blackberry..using their own OS.

At least, is nothing personal, is just business...And since Nexus name is not longer a Google phone...well you get the point... :P

  • Reply
  • 2011-10-27 02:51
  • Pr@3

Let's be realistic, who was actually expecting this to happen?

  • Reply
  • 2011-10-27 02:46
  • qp4q
  • The Boy with Red Hat
  • Report
  • Rating0

> In reply to Nokia Fanboy PRO @ 2011-10-27 02:28 from kJX3 - click to readOf course is Power Hungry...if not...Why will be the reason to push technology to the limits hehehehehe :D

And ICS is a BIG NO-NO for lower-spec devices

  • Reply
  • 2011-10-27 02:43
  • Pr@3
  • The Boy with Red Hat
  • Report
  • Rating0

I told youuuu

Motorola will be the "spoiled children" of Google...

Seem like all the goodies will be for them..but no wonder..Motorola Mobile is now from Google so, they will have any update they want :D

Was wise get an Atrix 2!!!

  • Reply
  • 2011-10-27 02:42
  • Pr@3

> In reply to Nokia Fanboy PRO @ 2011-10-27 02:28 from kJX3 - click to readIt depends on GPU of the handsets rather than CPU and RAM. Nexus S also has 1GB CPU and 512 RAM.

  • Reply
  • 2011-10-27 02:40
  • 2CJP

Oh well CyanogenMod wll come to our rescue HAHAHA \=^_^=/

  • Reply
  • 2011-10-27 02:36
  • LxIw

Does that mean that other single core 1 GHz, 512 Ram Android devices won't get ICS as well? Is ICS really that resource hungry? And I thought Android was supposed to get leaner and lighter as time goes by. This seems like a regression to me.

  • Reply
  • 2011-10-27 02:28
  • kJX3

Damn....

  • Reply
  • 2011-10-27 02:21
  • 9CHE

Note: Sponsored advertising links are in green.