News - Reader comments

Apple's market share is declining in Europe, but expands in the US

22 December, 2011 | Read the news | Post your comment
Apple's market share is declining in Europe, but expands in the US - read the full textEurope is in a tough financial situation and Apple's shrinking market share despite the introduction of the iPhone 4S is a consequence of that. In markets like the US, the UK and Australia, the 4S is selling like hot cakes but continental Europe is another story. Analysts from Kantar Worldpanel...

 

Sort by:

It is obvious to me that that the iphone 4s isn't selling well because its new feature is the Siri voice recognition software and it isn't available in most of the european markets. Duh.
When the iPhone 5 comes out and/or when Siri is available, you will see a spike in sales.

  • Reply
  • 2012-01-08 20:31
  • i{q1

> In reply to Shan-WangTu @ 2011-12-29 05:27 from J9jZ - click to readNah. No Iphone was really a game changer. They just wanted you to think that. In the eyes of the public who did not realize that stuff like it was already out thought it was the Iphone, but there was honestly something out before or around the same time but better. Things paved way for the Iphone. Not the other way around. Like Iphone 2G Just a rip off of either LG Prada or Samsung F700. Then 3G same so still a rip off, but Samsung Omnia for instance. minus not having a headset jack way better. Then when 3GS finally came out.(t this point they finally clocked the 600mhz SAMSUNG cpu from 400mhz to 600mhz) There was the Omnia HD. With ist's beautiful Amoled and fist phone capable of HD. That is a game changer.

  • Reply
  • 2012-01-04 07:21
  • eeCL

It's weird to see the excuse for poor sales. So why is Samsung galaxy s2 selling better than before? It ain't cheap...
In reality, I guess people are a bit fed up with iphone. Every year new phone differs in a new hardware. Honestly since the first iphone, things haven't changed that much. iPhone 2 was a game changer, but 4, 4s - is just means of making more money from the same old thing. What I really like is design. Software is crappy.
I wish people would give Windows Phone 7 a shot. I got myself HTC HD7 in March and I must say it's absolutely gorgeous. I believe it will be the next best-selling platform in a few year's time. The problem is just that MS totally forget about ads. And another thing is those ignorant salemen, who have't even seen it work, but say already that it's "sort of another MS crap".

  • Reply
  • 2011-12-29 05:27
  • J9jZ

> In reply to russian @ 2011-12-27 22:33 from Qy}W - click to readCouldn´t have said it better myself!

  • Reply
  • 2011-12-28 10:45
  • m}9e

The only god damn difference between the iphone 4 and the 4s is the operating system and siri. I dont see the big hype about iphones in the first place and this just pisses me off a little bit more. People should research the phone before they buy it. Not buying it just because its an iphone , or a blackberry, or even a galaxy, holy sh!t

  • Reply
  • 2011-12-27 22:33
  • Qy}W

> In reply to Anonymous @ 2011-12-27 05:32 from 4cZT - click to readSame thing can be said the other way around... Most people I know that own iPhones talk baldly about Android phones, yet used them for less than a minute... All the healthy discussions I have with my friends, they praise this and that from their iPhones, and I just have to say "Yeap, my 'Droid does that to, but looks better doing it..."

  • Reply
  • 2011-12-27 15:17
  • m}9e

> In reply to Anonymous @ 2011-12-27 05:32 from 4cZT - click to readIt's funny how all these children who's parents bought them Iphones thinks it's the best thing in the world...Meanwhile they know nothing about electronics ;)

  • Reply
  • 2011-12-27 08:06
  • eeN%

It's funny how these people with free Android phones think their phones are better than iPhone 4S lol. Yet they have never owned an 4S.

  • Reply
  • 2011-12-27 05:32
  • 4cZT

> In reply to ALonZo @ 2011-12-23 20:50 from LhV9 - click to readYou are joking right????
Every Android has different os's haha. REALITY CHECK!!!Not every Iphone is getting the latest Os! And ITS THE SAME DAMN OS BUT WITH UNIQUE NAMES....It's the same as Apple updating to the next os...they just dont have a name for it. And again DUH!! The older ones wont support the new os just as your dinosaur iphone 2g wont support newer ios versions.

And Yeah....Make more phones and more will sell! That's kind of the point. Plus if you would read more carefully it is a lot of the top end ones like the Galaxy making those bigger sales and profits, not just having more to choose from(which CHOICE is the point of life!).

News flash any single electronic device in the world is going to lag here and there. If you think or say else wise sorry about your blindness.

And if Apple had brought the 4S out when it was supposed to instead of waiting like half a year or so later just in order to try and top the GS2 then things would be different. And it's doesn't trump the GS2. I woulld love to see what the 4S was really supposed to have been.

  • Reply
  • 2011-12-26 09:52
  • efs0

> In reply to FFS @ 2011-12-23 07:26 from mxhY - click to readOk so lets never hear you have a debate on anything. I guess nobody is allowed to have an opinion on what they believe. Or be offended that Apple is doing such illegal and tyrannic actions. Nope because you don't care about phones.....or so that you say since you just so happen to be studying us means we can't? And back in the stone-age what companies and products did you use? Who or what did you get passionate or debate about? Get real.

  • Reply
  • 2011-12-26 09:19
  • efsR

> In reply to namez bond @ 2011-12-23 01:11 from q}2M - click to readnot all of us. dont start generalizing

  • Reply
  • 2011-12-26 08:53
  • efX2

More and more people in Europe realizes that iPhone is boring, so they switch to the real deal - Android.

  • Reply
  • 2011-12-26 08:32
  • 2Aug

> In reply to Anonymous @ 2011-12-25 23:42 from P@1G - click to readBwahaha! That's right! I didn't even catch that! Thank you. That just goes to show you how much an Iphone owner knows. XD

  • Reply
  • 2011-12-26 08:15
  • efXZ

> In reply to Anonymous @ 2011-12-25 10:39 from 4cZT - click to readcell tower = data connection

  • Reply
  • 2011-12-25 23:42
  • P@1G

People bashing iphone and have never used one should shut up. iPhone 4S is super stable . I have never seen any first party app crashing at all. It's the most responsive phone with hardware acceleration assist from the fastest GPU in cellphone. GPS is instantly even without the help of WIFI nor data connection, just only cell towers. Audio quality through a Line Out Dock is better than any smartphone out there. There are way more quality apps and real free apps compares to free wallpapers and free ui theme apps on Android.

  • Reply
  • 2011-12-25 10:39
  • 4cZT

40% of all smart phones in this world are purchased in the US. The iPhone 4s was released first in the US while several high end androids are released in Europe and Asia first. The US still purchases way more androids than any other country in the world. IPhones marketshare are in the US is higher right now because the iPhone 4s was released in the US ahead of Europe. Apple sales were still behind Samsung and HTC at the end of the 3rd quarter 2011.

  • Reply
  • 2011-12-25 07:04
  • kIax

Do you think people who bought iphone and found out that it didn't meet their expectations would tell their friends that they bought it for nothing? Of course not!

  • Reply
  • 2011-12-25 04:33
  • P@dH

> In reply to Anonymous @ 2011-12-24 16:27 from m}9e - click to readSo the same premise applies to all mobiles then, even such as Samsung Y because it is clear from this web site that many people like this mobile even though it is full of compromises, but to use your reasoning many people see it as cool, so the phone is rubbish.
I do not agree with your Anti Apple rantings as they are not based on facts just a simplistic bias.
My own opinion, for what it is worth, is I do not like touch screens as they are too slow for texting, so there you are, here is something else for you to rant about.

  • Reply
  • 2011-12-25 01:55
  • sSW2

Note: Sponsored advertising links are in green.