News - Reader comments

Leaked shots of the Sony Ericsson MT27i 'Pepper' emerge

08 January, 2012 | Read the news | Post your comment
Leaked shots of the Sony Ericsson MT27i 'Pepper' emerge - read the full textCast your eyes on the yet to be announced Sony Ericsson MT27i, codenamed 'Pepper'. This is to be the intended successor to the Xperia neo V, which launched back in October. Based on the design language we've seen from the likes of Sony Ericsson's worst kept secret, the Nozomi, there's definitely...

 

Sort by:

don`t compare with NEO V.... The Model is Not Nice

  • Reply
  • 2012-01-09 17:08
  • v{P3

I guess this is the first mid range phone with micro sim support only . .hehe

  • Reply
  • 2012-01-09 16:23
  • U@rk

yap, quite ugly design. if they announce it as neo v successor, why not make a variation to neo v design which is great?
specs by far r ok, when it comes out it will be lower midrange phone cuz specs of all other companies models will b going up, and hope the price will b suitable

  • Reply
  • 2012-01-09 15:19
  • pux1

> In reply to Fongy @ 2012-01-09 13:23 from GjjS - click to readThat is about the same proportional difference as the laptop example I made.

I agree that the tech at the 3.7" end should be higher but with so many people wanting larger phones (and being marketed larger phones) then I can see why it is easy for a manufacturer to stereotype that people who want a smaller phone want a cheaper phone. The result is less effort put into building a well spec'ed smaller device.

However this is a smaller phone and will compete with other smaller phones. There's just no point trying to compare this phone with the current tech found in larger devices.

  • Reply
  • 2012-01-09 14:55
  • vxKC

> In reply to Cowz @ 2012-01-09 12:47 from vxKC - click to readDiscussion is always good! I'm not always right (if fact, more often than not I'm wrong!)

Re: specs, I meant the Nozomi is 6 months out of date - Pepper appears to be right on track for this year... for this size of phone...

I know what you mean re: trying to liken mobiles with laptops, the problem with mobiles are that they are much closer spec-wise and when we're talking screen sizes - it's often less than an inch difference - almost unnoticeable - and yet - if you look at specs for 3.7" mobiles against 4.3" - there can be a MASSIVE difference.

With the arrival (probably) of quad-core phones this year and even iphone 5 being rumoured to have a larger screen - this firmly puts any phone under 4" squarely in the 'mid-range' category - because ALL manufacturers will be showcasing their technology and advancements on the larger devices... the smaller sized mobiles are likely to get last year's top specs (which is not a bad thing) but still, making them a lower category...

In any case - like you say - not ever likes a larger phone, and with all phones pretty much functioning as they should (no lag, etc.) it does mean a good level of choice for everyone! After going from a smaller screen to a GS2 - I find any screen smaller now VERY small - and very difficult to browse websites, etc... but that's personal preference! :)



  • Reply
  • 2012-01-09 13:23
  • GjjS

> In reply to Fongy @ 2012-01-09 12:37 from GjjS - click to readSorry Fongy, was not having a go at you.

The specifications are not half a year out of date though. Check the list I threw up of the top 3.7" phones from each manufacturer. Depending on the yet to be announced size it will probably be on top i.e. the best specs for a 3.7" phone.
Really that is like calling the highest end 14" laptop in the world low end or out of date because it does not have as good as specs (besides size and portability) than the top end 17" laptops. The comparison really is pointless.

Note: I could add the Huawei Vision to the bottom of the list too. And the LG, um, errr, actually not an LG.

  • Reply
  • 2012-01-09 12:47
  • vxKC

> In reply to Cowz @ 2012-01-09 12:11 from vxKC - click to readI can see your point actually about a high-end "smaller phone" - but if we look across the entire range of SonyE - their 'flagship' (regardless of size) will presumably be Nozomi - despite having specs that are half a year out of date (at least). This would be the successor to their 'Arc' series (high tier phones).

This one - which replaces Neo - would be the highest level of their mid-tier (mid-range, however you want to say it) phones - giving a slightly smaller sized screen and lower specs alongside this...

It's not a negative comment calling a phone 'mid-range' - as there are some excellent ones, but if you look at the whole line up - each manufacturer has a top-end, mid-range and lower-end. I agree that this is the top of their mid-range line-up, but it's still a long way from any manufacturer's (including SonyE's) flagship devices...

  • Reply
  • 2012-01-09 12:37
  • GjjS

Don't want to hog the thread but imo where we current stand on 3.7" devices is:
1) Motorola Defy+
2) SE Xperia Neo (not the V but the original 8mpix camera model)
3) HTC Rhyme (HTC Bliss) - a bit large for a 3.7 device
4) Samsung Galaxy W - ironically for Samsung TFT screen has issues displaying black

This phone may be at the top of that bunch provided the size of the device is not too large.
I realise you could argue those 4 spots too. Motorola is not inspiring me with the build quality of my Defy+.

  • Reply
  • 2012-01-09 12:35
  • vxKC

> In reply to Nino @ 2012-01-09 05:28 from dQBN - click to readIf it said 'concept' then we probably would not see it. Every phone that ever went to market would have had a prototype built. Cheers.

  • Reply
  • 2012-01-09 12:24
  • vxKC

> In reply to Anonymous @ 2012-01-08 22:29 from nIs3 - click to readQuality of camera doesn't depend on amount of megapixels only. There are several parametres that define that quality. Diametre of matrix, diaphragm, lens and others. You have to take into account these specs altogether.

  • Reply
  • 2012-01-09 12:13
  • gJ8j

Sorry but if you think this is a mid ranged phone then you have to be living under a rock. There is no better overall spec for a phone with a 3.7" screen available outside of Japan and Korea.

This is the type of progress that people who want smaller phones want.

Congrats again to SE for coming through with a smaller phone. Very refreshing given that so many announcements are for extremely large phones. I was hoping it would be a 3.7" device.

Sorry for being so excited but 9 out of 10 new announcements are around larger devices. Many people do not want to carry a large device.

I can understand that many people like larger phones and they are good for them. You can't fit as much in a small phone as a large phone but packing in functionality had seemed to be becoming a forgotten skill. This is a high end phone to people who want a smaller phone.

No sense in calling it mid range because it has less functionality than a larger top end device. This is a small top end device.

  • Reply
  • 2012-01-09 12:11
  • vxKC

This is clearly their mid-range phone..

And for that reason - the specs are 'okay' - the worrying thing is that the design team appeared to have taken a holiday this year - it's similar to the Nozomi - very rectangular / sharp / with a light coloured strip at the bottom (kind of like an upside-down pint of Guiness...)

It's a) not very inspiring a large step back from the Arc and b) like many said, if these are fairly sharp edges without the screen going right to the edge - very impractical and unnecessary...

I think we'll see SonyE lose ground this year because of their step backwards in design... Fortunately HTC's new designs look equally unimpressive, so let's see what Moto / Sammy come up with... hopefully something a bit more 'premium' looking that the GS2 / Atrix...

  • Reply
  • 2012-01-09 10:08
  • GjjS

5mp camera? what the....

  • Reply
  • 2012-01-09 09:43
  • gJkm

Sorry to announce, but 5MP is enough for everything. If you want details take a Sony A77 with 24 MP

  • Reply
  • 2012-01-09 09:28
  • La8E

> In reply to zide @ 2012-01-08 21:59 from mnk9 - click to readIt won't be happening before mid-2012, they say.

  • Reply
  • 2012-01-09 08:45
  • uCYK

it has novathor chipset. means less power usage and good performance

  • Reply
  • 2012-01-09 07:56
  • bJ2V

This could be enough for most people.
Robert

  • Reply
  • 2012-01-09 07:44
  • miZk

> In reply to zide @ 2012-01-08 21:59 from mnk9 - click to readthey will split in july.. as i read in some sites.

  • Reply
  • 2012-01-09 07:38
  • nCMd

> In reply to Anonymous @ 2012-01-08 22:29 from nIs3 - click to readmaybe they did that cuz they want to make it cheap so any 1 can buy it !

  • Reply
  • 2012-01-09 07:37
  • nCMd

Note: Sponsored advertising links are in green.