News - Reader comments

Kodak to sue HTC and Apple over claims of patent infringement

11 January, 2012 | Read the news | Post your comment
Kodak to sue HTC and Apple over claims of patent infringement - read the full textKodak's legal team have turned their guns on two huge names in the mobile world, HTC and Apple. The two companies have allegedly committed infringement on a number of Kodak-owned patents and the issues in question affect a vast number of both companies smartphones and tablets. Eastman Kodak...

 

Sort by:

> In reply to Cybertrone @ 2012-01-16 05:17 from v{u3 - click to readI guess your point would be valid if America's sue-now-ask-questions-later policy extended in fact to ONLY patent law and nothing else. But we both know Americans sue each other over everything, ever.

My favourite story was from several weeks ago when a lady attempted to sue a dead guy because she was hit by one of his body parts after he's been dismembered by an oncoming train. Don't believe me? Google it.

Thanks for the LOLs America.

  • Reply
  • 2012-01-16 08:54
  • Iaa7

> In reply to but ofc! @ 2012-01-13 09:29 from mfY6 - click to readAmericas way is suing ? Yes may be bcoz america own lot of patents, rest of the world does not have, so that they cant sue anyone ha ha, they rely on cop cat, like Kodak made the 1st digital camera , OLEDs etc .. and many more, it os not a bumb manufacturing company. like Japanese are good in manufacturing but they are dumb companies, Toyota may sell hybrid but the 1st invention was in US,like wise ,,, toyota can make but cannot sue anyone,,, here also same

  • Reply
  • 2012-01-16 05:17
  • v{u3

yes, freescore! U r absoletly right... My amazing Nikon D90 ...love it ... :)

  • Reply
  • 2012-01-13 20:09
  • t}If

Ofc. they are sueing... Kodak is dying now that most cameras don't use film anymore, so they need to make money somehow. Sueing is the American way of life and is now spreading all over the world :-o

  • Reply
  • 2012-01-13 09:29
  • mfY6

> In reply to FREESCORE!!!! @ 2012-01-12 18:10 from sbxK - click to readI totally agree that NIKON is still the best...

  • Reply
  • 2012-01-13 05:55
  • Mf7m

> In reply to phoneaddict @ 2012-01-12 10:02 from uCpi - click to readIf companies dont want to pay for patent use their is always the alternative... GO AND INVENT SOMETHING YOURSELF! I have seen it said on here that you can only invent so much then you are probably infringing on a patent somewhere... probably. Smart thing to do would be to change, add to and generally improve if that is the case. If companies dont wanna invent then they should pay!

  • Reply
  • 2012-01-13 01:03
  • Mfxg

> In reply to Anonymous @ 2012-01-12 14:48 from IVLF - click to readcompanies dont just sit back and wait for Apple to invent. Steve Jobs himself admitted they used to steal ideas all the time. there is plenty of technology out there that apple hasnt 'innovated'. and while I get liking a company and loving a product, you should at least get your facts straight! and yes- I AM an Apple fan/user!

  • Reply
  • 2012-01-13 00:48
  • Mfxg

> In reply to Tarzan @ 2012-01-12 16:32 from vFwB - click to readIt's not just Apple fans that are hypocrites. All companies have their 'fan boys' (main 3 Samsung, Apple or Nokia). However trolls are trolls- no matter who they support. And the main definition of 'troll' on here is someone who has nothing of value to add but just wants to bad mouth the company they dont like, like bad mouthing Apple for instance when 2 companies are clearly named as culprits.

And for the record I have a SGS2, but I don't like hypocritical trolls.

  • Reply
  • 2012-01-13 00:40
  • Mfxg

As an employee of one of the major mobile phone manufacturers, all I can say from all of this patent war-ing is.... I feel sorry for the judges and jealous of the lawyers :D These cases get more and more and more and more complicated and the only real winners are the people lining their pockets making it all more complicated and childish than it needs to be!

  • Reply
  • 2012-01-12 22:12
  • mppH

> In reply to Jim @ 2012-01-12 16:59 from sSWi - click to readIt made me laugh that you thought you were saying something

  • Reply
  • 2012-01-12 19:11
  • q8Q8

NIKON is still better than Kodak cameras even CANON

  • Reply
  • 2012-01-12 18:10
  • sbxK

I smiled yesterday and Samsung issued a writ as they wanted to protect their patent of their smiling shareholders and thought my smile was too much like theirs. In reality I am Anglo Saxon an in with a chance as my facial muscles are slightly different in length. However I have woken up top the fact that one does not own their smile. Kodak? Now that is a word I have not heard for some years.

  • Reply
  • 2012-01-12 16:59
  • sSWi

Though I'm not a Kodak fan or anything but it makes me laugh thinking how many people troll 'em (Kodak) when they decided to take patent matters to court.

If it was Apple doing so, all the Apple fans would be saying its their right and others are just copying Apple products.

Hypocrites!!!

  • Reply
  • 2012-01-12 16:32
  • vFwB

Innovate or die. Seems that the tech companies all have forgotten how to, and are content just to play the wait for Apple then copy game. The whole CES looked like a "who's the best MacBook Air clone?" contest. Pathetic.

This is of course not true for one or two companies who try, but the rest of the industry should buck up.

  • Reply
  • 2012-01-12 14:48
  • IVLF
  • Nikon loves Canon:-*
  • Report
  • Rating0

Kodak, pls do better products please aside from 32-shot films. Respect Mr. Eastman's legacy.

  • Reply
  • 2012-01-12 14:19
  • t7WW

Everybody realizes patent fights have not just come out of the blue because of Apple and Samsung right? They have been here for ages. Well before most of us or maybe all of us were even born. It's nothing new. As for this one...It's their right. Did you not read it? Other companies like LG and Samsung already paid and were licensed for this. Apple and HTC however are just steeling it. It even says they met up with Kodak, but apparently would not agree on anything and now are being sued for deliberately steeling. And they just want their compensation...they don't want to knock any of them out of the ring or ban any products.

  • Reply
  • 2012-01-12 14:11
  • FJuu

Good job

  • Reply
  • 2012-01-12 14:06
  • 6Q91

> In reply to Anonymous @ 2012-01-11 18:22 from ixum - click to readyep, if others have paid for it, why can't these two? i am an HTC user, but i would gladly pay some few extra dollars for Kodak's patent, cus i just don't want to see the legendary photography brand to disappear.. i just love my Tri-X 400 so much, i don't wanna see them gone..

  • Reply
  • 2012-01-12 13:51
  • YT5x

> In reply to Wilson @ 2012-01-12 10:18 from M$Fq - click to readTotally agree. makes me cry to see these giants quarreling like babies "this not yours... it's mine".
guys, don't go looking what others are doing... go try to invent something new on your own...
"imagination is more important than knowledge"

  • Reply
  • 2012-01-12 12:55
  • T4xM

they will probably won the law suites. It is not their first and they were right so far.

Kodak lost by not moving to the digital cameras soon enough, even though they had the tech. It was aa bad decision to try milking the film too much ....

But they have been a driver in market, and they are a great name

  • Reply
  • 2012-01-12 12:44
  • mAM0

Note: Sponsored advertising links are in green.