News - Reader comments

Windows Phone Tango minimum hardware limitations outlined

08 March, 2012 | Read the news | Post your comment
Windows Phone Tango minimum hardware limitations outlined - read the full textOfferings from both Nokia and ZTE debuted the next major build of Windows Phone last week at MWC, dubbed "Tango". The new Nokia Lumia 610 and ZTE Orbit both took to their respective stands to show off the new lower-end capabilities of Microsoft's mobile OS. Despite the latest iteration...

 

Sort by:

All I hear here are a lot of people who talk crap about specs that do NOT matter!

Grow up, get your hands on a Lumia and try it and then come back with your comments!

You may be happy with your (very) low budget Samsung Android (Say: Thank you, labour slaves of the PEOPLE'S Republic of China!) but Samsung will have a very hard time trying to beat the feel and performance of the Lumia 610. That's for sure!

And if you are in a upcoming market: Buy the phone you need and wait until your country is more developed. Why do you want a phone that is almost impossible to use because the carrier is crap? It's like driven a Porsche with wooden wheels on a dirt road: You can do that but it will leave you unsatisfied because you KNOW that there's is more but you can't reach it!

And for God's sake, learn to type UNDERSTANDABLE ENGLISH. Especially some people from 'upcoming' markets...

FYI: No bashing - deliberately and repeatedly bashing the same brand

  • Reply
  • 2012-03-14 15:43
  • naKF

Hmm.. these are prices from the online retailer that I use.

Lumia 610 - $368 US
Lumia 710 - $399 US

I would have thought the low-end WP7 device would be a lot cheaper than that.. If it hovers around that price, there'd be very little reason for anyone to go for the 610.

  • Reply
  • 2012-03-13 03:32
  • Fv4$

> In reply to SwaggaTECH @ 2012-03-10 16:03 from ftVi - click to readyou can go for Android smart phones. They are the no 1 and toast of South Africa.

  • Reply
  • 2012-03-12 10:41
  • N9@S

Conclusion :
same hardware, expensive OS :(
android may be cheaper cos cheaper OS.
but u know who .. micros*ft always "very" wanted to make a big margin

  • Reply
  • 2012-03-12 08:28
  • Mfxa

> In reply to Dean @ 2012-03-11 17:17 from p@H@ - click to readI love it very much

  • Reply
  • 2012-03-12 04:55
  • Txgq

> In reply to Anonymous @ 2012-03-09 17:10 from 5x9P - click to readDo you have RAM for your breakfast, huh?
Seriously, its stupid to argue the way you are doing it now. A phone should have as much RAM as it NEEDS. And according to its price. RAM amount is no reliable way to judge phones unless you want to be an idiot.

  • Reply
  • 2012-03-12 04:24
  • uuhp

> In reply to SwaggaTECH @ 2012-03-10 16:03 from ftVi - click to readOf course you cannot buy "crap" like you say.

But you could scam somebody as well or not? That's what nigerians are best at.

You should just order or scam someone with the most expensive device and voila...

  • Reply
  • 2012-03-11 17:17
  • p@H@

> In reply to eagle5 @ 2012-03-10 14:05 from IVDP - click to readNokia doesnt wanna come to terms with WHAT THE CONSUMER WANTS not what nokia thinks we need. In todays emerging markets like Nigeria who is among the top ten internet users we cant buy CRAP again. Future NOKIA phones intend to incoporate mediaTEK chips. At that point, nokia becomes like those chinese phones. As l type now four of my friends use Android fones, another two BB, three use nokia. So in the equation of things, Nokia is loosing faster than it share value in AFRICA. Two service providers are offering android for 130 dollars. Just listen to ur loyal customers, QED.

  • Reply
  • 2012-03-10 16:03
  • ftVi

> In reply to Ruwin @ 2012-03-09 14:07 from MCrR - click to readThe main problem is Nokia Symbian phones have the functions that Lumia phones dont : SD Card, bluetooth, USB mass storage or USB on the go. If WP is supposed to replace Symbian in 2016, it has better have these functions or loyal Nokia customers will go elsewhere.
If WP is just one the OS Nokia uses, we dont care, we just choose the Symbian phone but as replacement...

  • Reply
  • 2012-03-10 14:05
  • IVDP

I want to buy a windows phone, but i want to be clear about certain issues first. Does it have true multitasking (cos the multitasking i saw on HTC HD2 wasnt encouraging)? Also can i upgrade present window tango to Apollo or Windows8 wen it eventually comes out?

  • Reply
  • 2012-03-10 11:29
  • N9@T

> In reply to [deleted post]nokia policy is they dont support sd card wths ur problem.u dont buy this.this low end phn for 3rd world country not like u ppl who have note ipad etc. u see galaxy y which have low profile bt u told there wht a phn. u r a sheet i think

  • Reply
  • 2012-03-10 09:02
  • P%%w

Its not about security, the reason microsoft doesnt want SD support or mass storage so u dont jailbreak OS, and share apps, music u have, simple.

its not about ur security but THEIR SECUrity

  • Reply
  • 2012-03-09 19:49
  • Pv9c

lol symbian could do all those with 64mb of ram

what a shitty platform and now it is fragmented too.

  • Reply
  • 2012-03-09 19:16
  • Pv9c

> In reply to Ruwin @ 2012-03-09 16:09 from MCrR - click to readYeah, there's no fragmantation, but sure this will be annoying for the consumer.

Even not being a diferent OS, quite looks like. On Android, there are apps that don't work because of the version, and some because of the chipset. But if you have the compatible chipset, it should work on both 850mhz processors with 512mb of RAM and on a same architecture CPU, say, 600mhz, with 256mb of RAM (even less on some), just will run slower.

  • Reply
  • 2012-03-09 17:15
  • 8TJb

Nokia, please stop this! I don't want stingty amounts of RAM galaxy mini has +300 MB of ram and that phone is a low end phone.

  • Reply
  • 2012-03-09 17:10
  • 5x9P

> In reply to truth truth truth :) @ 2012-03-09 16:02 from LHfB - click to readI guess we were talking about different things. We - utility, you - market shares.
And again, so far, WP is the least fragmented os, since it maintains 100% compatibility between it's versions. The trick is that with WP Tango, you have THE SAME OS on a low end device or on a high end one. I think this is the opposite of fragmentation.

  • Reply
  • 2012-03-09 16:09
  • MCrR
  • truth truth truth :)
  • Report
  • Rating0

here goes fragmentatin.... android is at least open-source! and has more than 50% market, where wp has less than 5%

  • Reply
  • 2012-03-09 16:02
  • LHfB

> In reply to Ruwin @ 2012-03-09 14:14 from MCrR - click to readquiet right. our choices are important. Our main usage area is imp.

  • Reply
  • 2012-03-09 15:05
  • 6PSI

> In reply to symbi user @ 2012-03-09 14:03 from uZa% - click to readIt seems you r just hating android for no reason

  • Reply
  • 2012-03-09 14:23
  • rJmU

> In reply to symbi user @ 2012-03-09 14:03 from uZa% - click to readTrue! I would go for Android in this case.
For me, personally, I like WP as much as I like Android. Each of them have their strengths and weaknesses. It's just a matter of needs. I hardly use Bluetooth, and my internal memory is 75% free. So WP is just fine for me now.
But i strongly encourage to choose your devices depending on YOUR NEEDS not on BRAND or OS. We must be smarter than this.

  • Reply
  • 2012-03-09 14:14
  • MCrR

Note: Sponsored advertising links are in green.