News - Reader comments

Developer stats show quick adoption of iOS 5.1 by users

25 March, 2012 | Read the news | Post your comment
Developer stats show quick adoption of iOS 5.1 by users - read the full textiOS users have historically been shown to quickly upgrade to the latest update compared to other platforms and with the latest release of iOS 5.1 this seems truer than ever. Developer David Smith who created the app Audiobooks, a universal app available on both the iPhone and the iPad in free...

 

Sort by:

> In reply to Anonymous @ 2012-03-26 16:50 from IWP1 - click to readYes but we're not on a television forum we're on a phone forum.

If we take your argument as valid then that's a good reason for me to stay away from Samsung or Sony phones.

I don't want to be buying a phone & accepting the fact that it's not supported properly because it's a small concern for the company concerned therefore they're not going to update in a timely manner.

I don't buy into the argument about using XDA either.

I also have a huwawei boulder that I use for work. It's rooted & unlocked & runs android 2.2

If I want an update I have to rely on the good work done by XDA rather than the manufacturer which is like a get out clause for the manufacturer.

I accept that with my Huwawei as it was very very cheap.

But if I was to buy a high end android handset as my next phone I would personally choose a Nexus phone (regardless of manufacturer) as it is guaranteed good support.

I would steer well clear of the obscene cost of a samsung Note which I would then have to root & rely on someone's kind help to receive an update. & Samsung & HTC are notoriously bad for supporting handsets so I wouldn't be surprised to see this is the last update the Note will receive (when it eventually gets the update...).

I'm not slating one OS at the expense of another - I'm slating the support offered by manufacturers & you only have to look at the countless posts on countless forums to see that owners of these handsets are not happy at the time taken to update & also the even more countless posts from people who find their 1 year old phone is no longer supported 1/2 way through a contract.

I'll personally steer clear of that thanks & save myself the heartache.

  • Reply
  • 2012-03-26 17:08
  • MQKQ

> In reply to Anonymous @ 2012-03-26 16:39 from MQKQ - click to readYeah u forgetting another fact that samsung example,they also have to produce TVs and other electronics items same goes to sony etc.the handset department isnt that big like apples.

  • Reply
  • 2012-03-26 16:50
  • IWP1

> In reply to Anonymous @ 2012-03-26 15:37 from IWP1 - click to readI don't think you're understanding the comments are you?

no-one is saying that 2.2 & 2.3 aren't stable.

but that ICS has been around for months & very few phones have received the update. Those that have have experienced bugs.

Love or hate Apple all you like but the fact is they are the best at timely upgrades to the OS & when they release it ALL devices still in support receive the update at the same time.

Android are already talking about the next updates beyond ICS even though ICS has barely started to roll out to handsets.

If I owned a high end android phone I'd want it to be on vanilla android like the Nexus range so that I could receive updates in a timely manner rather than being held hostage to by manufacturers who decide when & which devices they'll support.

  • Reply
  • 2012-03-26 16:39
  • MQKQ

> In reply to theaffidavit @ 2012-03-26 14:52 from v{Ue - click to read2.2 and 2.3 is stable it doesnt need updating.go check xda for details.

Oh wait i forgot,iphone users dont use XDA,they just believe what is written on apple website like mindless zombies.

  • Reply
  • 2012-03-26 15:37
  • IWP1

> In reply to Anonymous @ 2012-03-26 11:28 from IWP1 - click to readReally , this is a funniest comment i have ever read.

U couldnt make an argument or talking , so u make some random statement.

Whats really arrogant there ? isnt that what happend till now ? How many OEMs really updated the phone ? its already 5 long months and still maybe one or two handsets were updated and that too updates had lot of bugs even after delay.

  • Reply
  • 2012-03-26 14:52
  • v{Ue

> In reply to theaffidavit @ 2012-03-26 10:51 from v{Ue - click to readExample of arrogance right here. If u cant see it,i suggest u go for a eye and brain checkup.

  • Reply
  • 2012-03-26 11:28
  • IWP1

> In reply to Murthy @ 2012-03-26 09:25 from vLy1 - click to readBattery drains if u don't follow OEM specifications ,

10 hours of video works only if it is 480p and 50% brightness.

for example , if u go outdoor , LCD has very bad visibility compared to AMOLED , so LCD needs more brightness , So definitely battery life is effected when brightness is changed and also if format running is h.264 codec.

Apps consume lot of battery by popping up Ads and games consume GPU inturn reducing battery life.

So , In real life usage ,everything is different, Apple must give option for removable battery or atleast a new battery with higher capacity.

  • Reply
  • 2012-03-26 10:56
  • v{Ue

> In reply to Rated R @ 2012-03-26 09:36 from Kh28 - click to readWhy not ?

Oh w8 ur phone was not updated to latest version because ur own OEM ignored u so coming to iOS articles and ranting. rofl.

  • Reply
  • 2012-03-26 10:51
  • v{Ue

I have a iPod touch 4g and after updating , 5.1 is laggy but battery life increased by 20% ! :)

  • Reply
  • 2012-03-26 10:39
  • KIYb

why not...after all it iOS 5 is a copy of android

  • Reply
  • 2012-03-26 09:36
  • Kh28

I owned iPhone 2, 3GS, 4 and 4S. With 3G ON, I can use the phone for a whole day. With 3G off, I get the battery life for atleast 2 days.

Never faced any issues with all the 4 iPhone models I owned. Just sold it to my friends and bought new ones.

  • Reply
  • 2012-03-26 09:25
  • vLy1

> In reply to Anonymous @ 2012-03-26 03:37 from IWP1 - click to readactually, neether you or him is right, because maemo os was first to have drop-down notification bar

  • Reply
  • 2012-03-26 05:58
  • LHfB

when ios becomes open-source (not free but open) then i ll consider ios (iphone, ipad, ipod) as an option.

  • Reply
  • 2012-03-26 05:57
  • LHfB

Bit by bit the truth comes out. iOS is a wonderful smartphone OS experience. For those who do not like Apple, may I suggest WP7 over the dreadful Android .

  • Reply
  • 2012-03-26 05:47
  • tu6$

my ipod touch 4g which i bought a month after it was released in the market (nov 2010) was having a ios 4.3 operating system when i bought it. the wifi signal was same in signal strenght as my other older ipod touch 2g. but when i installed the first released ios 5, i have noticed that signal strenght (wi-fi) had a difference already. my older ipod touch 2g (with ios 4.2.1)has very good signal wifi strenght even if its far from my wifi router while my new ipod touch 4g have sometimes difficulty detecting the wifi signal if compared to my older ipod if its in the same location distance to the wifi router as my older ipod.

now when i again installed the latest ios 5.1, my new ipod touch 4g wifi detection performance have worsen.compared to the first ios 5 and ios 5.1 wifi signal, my ipod touch 4g new has only about 50% of the time that it can detect the wifi signal even it is within 1 feet from the router source. signal bar strenght also is very intermittent. it comes and vanishes.

im afraid that one day my ipod touch 4g cannot anymore detect any wifi signal. by the way my ipod touch 4g have not been jail broken or drop in any how. i take care of my stuff carefully.

  • Reply
  • 2012-03-26 04:50
  • vx4R

> In reply to Kai @ 2012-03-25 20:16 from Lh@5 - click to readApple The new iPad
The new iPad 64GB
The new iPad 64GB 4G
The new iPad 4G
Apple iPad 3
ipad3 3g

  • Reply
  • 2012-03-26 04:12
  • tY{x

> In reply to Anonymous @ 2012-03-26 02:58 from v0Xt - click to readUnlike apple,we DIDNT copy the notification bar and CLAIM ITS THEIRS

  • Reply
  • 2012-03-26 03:37
  • IWP1

unlike android... 1% of users are using ICS while 99% are still using cupcake. and google are proud of it.. ye fragmented whatever.

  • Reply
  • 2012-03-26 02:58
  • v0Xt

Less I phones and it made by apple thats why ios clean. u see Android phones they are so many some made by HTC, Samsung, lg, Sony and some phones running freyo, ginger bread, ics, now. thats why Android have so many bugs.

  • Reply
  • 2012-03-26 02:58
  • 49xm

Apple iOS is very quick release their latest update. Unlike android once a year.. I do use both android and iOS. Sgs2 and iPhone 4s. My sgs2 always got bug.. And my iPhone 4s never have bug.

  • Reply
  • 2012-03-26 01:49
  • PU0@

Note: Sponsored advertising links are in green.