News - Reader comments

Nokia acknowledges Lumia 900 issues, offers a fix

11 April, 2012 | Read the news | Post your comment
Nokia acknowledges Lumia 900 issues, offers a fix - read the full textNokia Lumia 900 has become available just recently and exclusively (for now) for AT&T in the USA. Unfortunately, some users reported inability to establish or loss of data connection. Often those people were cut off from the LTE network completely. Nokia’s response came rather quickly – the...

 

Sort by:

> In reply to vickyin @ 2012-04-12 08:49 from vGsy - click to readMake a mistake and cover it up with by shelling off few bucks, and You call this Customer service?

Its compensation/fees , better say penalty they are paying for the users.

coming to the 100$ Free thing , i'm sure nokia will cover this money by selling the device at hyped price elsewhere. specially in Souther Asian countries and middle east.

  • Reply
  • 2012-04-12 08:54
  • PTij

wow this is fantastic customer service from Nokia. I have 3G connectivity problem on my LG Optimus Black since 8 months and there is no response from them. My next smartphone is Nokia for sure..

  • Reply
  • 2012-04-12 08:49
  • vGsy

> In reply to Anonymous @ 2012-04-12 05:19 from keqR - click to readCan u give any proof that HTC is selling more high end Android devices than Nokia WP7 devices. Be logical.
(Note: none of the Nokia WP7 released globally.
WP7.5 is a unmatured OS & have hardware limitations. NOKIA still managed to sell well.)
Can HTC do it?
Samsung, HTC, Lg, Sony -- all are just marketing due to Android.
Without Android they are nothing.

  • Reply
  • 2012-04-12 07:10
  • uv7D

nokia is good.. iphone was great.. android are awsome..
the stupid phone in this world is just blackberry RIM.. lol
just my xp

  • Reply
  • 2012-04-12 05:44
  • U}}D

Every person/company makes mistakes. Props to Nokia for taking care of their customers! That's pretty cool, in my opinion. :)

  • Reply
  • 2012-04-12 05:36
  • qJFv

> In reply to Anonymous @ 2012-04-12 05:19 from keqR - click to readDon't know what you are trying to say because it's all over the place... Specs? performance? price? What are you talking about? Use lesser words next time please and do induce some meaning into them.

  • Reply
  • 2012-04-12 05:35
  • fJCp

> In reply to Whatchasay @ 2012-04-12 04:38 from 4$ve - click to readObviously reading comprehension isn't yours eh fanboy?

1. Specs go hand in hand with performance does it not? Do you expect a Inline 4 engine to produce as much torque as a V8 or V10? Consumer do demands more high end specs when they're paying the same price.

2. LOL Free Galaxy S II? Not in the US buddy, care to post any links to said free? Amazon lowest price for Galaxy S II was indeed at 1 Cent on their 1 CENT sale; however, those sales are only for ONE DAY. Where as Lumia 710 has been free for WEEKS before Q1 ended. The Lumia 800 was also FREE in the UK for MONTHS. Yet both those devices failed to make any dents in sales volume. Lumia 900 is free directly from AT&T from LAUNCH not including the $100 Nokia rebate, when have you ever seen an Android high end device FREE AT LAUNCH? Never.

3. I fail to see how quoting my reply to your question on why Samsung doesn't outsell Iphone 4S. I gave you a factual data from Samsung and analyst. You said according to my logic Samsung should be outselling Iphone 4S since the iphone 4S is "lesser specs", BUT i proved you know nothing when it comes to specs as the Iphone 4S is NOT "LESSER SPECS" so there is no reason why the Iphone 4S would be outsold by the Galaxy S II.

4. Again, I fail to see how does quoting my response to your question on how well Sony, Motorola, and HTC did recently is a rebuttal.

Let me explain it to you again since this information and comparison to Nokia is too vast for you to comprehend.

Lets first look at Sony's abysmal performance shall we?

Sony fails to compete with other Android manufacturers, they do not offer competitive products(their products lacked high end specs when compared to Samsung, Motorola, and HTC). Nokia however has no competition when it comes to Symbian devices, further more looking into WP7 devices they have no competition as well. Samsung and HTC doesn't market their WP7 device, Microsoft also doesn't give Samsung or HTC marketing money, certainly not TWO HUNDRED MILLION DOLLARS WORTH. So do you understand why SONY fails? They have a reason why their Android devices don't sell, whats Nokia's reason for WP7 or Symbian?

Lets take a look at Motorola now and compare to Nokia. Motorola doesn't sell on a world wide scale, they in fact have almost no presence and no brand recognition outside of the US. Furthermore they have some agreement with Verizon to push only their DROID lineup which is the only decent high end line up they have to Verizon. They sell plenty of Droid RAZR and RAZR MAXX, you can use amazon list for reference since Nokia fanboy likes to keep going to that as "proof" of how well their device is doing. RAZR MAXX is doing third place despite not being free. Now lets see again, Nokia sells world wide, lets put aside the Lumia 710 even though from what Nokia and Tmobile keeps saying that it's selling quite "well", obviously combined 2 MILLION units for world wide isn't "well". Nokia markets to many countries the Lumia 800, they have over $150,000,000 in marketing money from Microsoft that allowed them to give away Xbox 360's and Xbox 360 + Kinect for their devices. How come these devices sold only a total of 2 Million devices for Q1 2012?

Lets move onto HTC, HTC does quite well, even though it's going to report a 70% drop in profit, much better than Nokia though. HTC's problem is it lacks any innovation when it comes to design. Their Sensation line up composed of like 4 different devices with no performance gains. Iphone looks the same physically, however components got a performance boost. 3G to 3GS saw a change from ARM v6 to ARM v7. Iphone 4 to Iphone 4S saw a change in Cortex A8 to Cortex A9 and a better GPU, but you wouldn't know that since you deem it to be a "lesser" device than the Galaxy S II. Nokia however doesn't suffer from the same when you speak about their Lumia and Symbian line, WP7 are all the same, especially since there are strict hardware guidelines to abide by. Symbian devices are the same component wise except for Screen and Camera. So why is it that HTC sells a lot more high end Android devices than Nokia selling WP7 devices? Care to answer that since you believe specs don't matter?

  • Reply
  • 2012-04-12 05:19
  • keqR

> In reply to Anonymous @ 2012-04-12 03:34 from keqR - click to readReading (or the English language) REALLY isn't your strong suit is it? Let me explain (again). You came here insinuating that specs are most important thing in a phone. Consumers demand more specs, you said. Now you switch your tune and start talking about "performance". Thank you, because that is exactly what I was saying. How a phone performs for the user is much more important than the almighty specs.

Costco, Amazon and Walmart give away lots of phones for free. They even gave away the Galaxy S2 for free. The Lumia 710 was sold on Tmobile, the smallest of the major wireless carriers, so of course its sales weren't spectacular. Last I checked though, it had the best user reviews on Tmobile. Even better than the GS2. Don't know much about the international scene so I won't comment on that.

Samsung sold 20 million units? You already answered why. According to you:

"Motorola, doesn't sell on a world wide scale like any of the other Manufacturer" (kinda like the Lumia to huh?)

"Sony was never a competitor in the smartphone market"

HTC's "devices are basically the same" (Like the iPhone? That never stopped them from selling so much).

All this time I thought Samsung was making top of the line phones, but, according to you, it's just because they don't really have any competition. I guess that explains the 20 million units.

PS How did it become my WP7 platform when I already said that ios is better than WP7? Are nuanced views lost on Android fanboys?

  • Reply
  • 2012-04-12 04:38
  • 4$ve

> In reply to Crucify @ 2012-04-11 22:58 from Q}m9 - click to readI was at AT&T this afternoon and asked about the rebate Nokia is giving away. The agent told me it will be in the form of billing credits on your AT&T account and not a rebate check which you could encash. But, free is free. Beggars can't be choosers.

  • Reply
  • 2012-04-12 03:43
  • qpXs

> In reply to Anonymous @ 2012-04-12 03:34 from keqR - click to readline should have read "Since you say WP7 is a MUCH MUCH BETTER OS than Android" ;)

  • Reply
  • 2012-04-12 03:35
  • keqR

> In reply to whatchasay @ 2012-04-12 03:05 from RbqJ - click to read"lower spec" is not the same as comparable specs, your initial post gave the inclination of the Iphone 4S as being something lesser in which I obviously proved you wrong on many points.

Again, you obviously have no clue in regards to "specs". The Iphone 4S and the Galaxy S II is definitely very close in terms of performance. Also the Galaxy S II sold 20 million sets in 10 months, Apple's iphone 4S no doubt sold more than 20 million units within the same time frame; however, that number is not disclosed as Apple base their sales figures on iOS versions activated.

Lets put specs aside, if your WP7 platform was so great then why didn't it do well in Q1 2012? Nokia and Microsoft pushed heavily in the EU and Asia, UK gave away free xbox 360's with Lumia 800 purchase/upgrades, in Singapore they gave away Xbox 360 + Kinect kits in the same type of promotion. In the US the Lumia 710 was $49.99; however, many retailers like Costco, Amazon, and Walmart were giving away the Lumia 710 for free or for 1 CENT; Now since specs aren't as important as you say and since you say Android is a MUCH MUCH BETTER OS than WP7 why didn't these devices sell? Don't blame Sales rep pushing android, Nokia and Microsoft were giving incentives of up to $15/Lumia devices to be sold. So if a rep was able to sell a Lumia 710 they would've gotten $15 per device bonus.

Sony was never a competitor in the smartphone market, maybe you haven't heard this but their new Arc S lines are considered their first "push" back into the smart phone market, as I mentioned earlier their phones weren't not "spec and performance competition".

HTC is still operating at a profit, much less than they were in the previous quarter but they haven't posted an operating LOSS, like NOKIA even though their devices are currently including the WP7 in which Microsoft GAVE them TWO HUNDRED MILLION DOLLARS.

Motorola, doesn't sell on a world wide scale like any of the other Manufacturer, they basically sell to some parts in India and mostly the US under Verizon. They however didn't post a BILLION EURO LOSS of revenue like Nokia did in Q4 2011.

Anything else you want to add fanboy? :)

  • Reply
  • 2012-04-12 03:34
  • keqR

iOS vs Android vs WP
WP might be late to the party but definitely not lacking anything-
UI- iOS gained momentum cuz it was refreshing, its boring now, Android is just an unorganized set of features squeezed together, WP however is refreshing like iOS was a few years back

Performance- People, don't be spec hungry, no point of having multiple cores or massive ram if you can perform with less, infact its reduces energy consumption, iOS and WP are both butter smooth, Android however, with that much force under the hood, is still laggy, even ICS.

Apps and support- Google and Apple are already well established, Microsoft have huge money pool, should they see support for their OS, they will grow lightspeed fast.

Conclusion- iOS is good, very good indeed, I have no idea why people like Android, its slow and buggy and people looking for a change, WP is the way, its good, you guys can make it better

  • Reply
  • 2012-04-12 03:10
  • 01ig

> In reply to Anonymous @ 2012-04-11 21:28 from keqR - click to readReading isn't your strong suit is it. Where did I say that the iPhone 4s isn't powerful? "lower-spec" does not equal "low-spec". It's a comparative. You're the one acting like specs are the end all be all of how good a phone is, regardless of the user experience. You're also trying to imply that sales are also indicative of how good a phone is too. So using your logic, the galaxy s2 should be outselling the 4S. Which it isn't, not by a long shot. Must I explain everything to you? Ditto for the iPad.

As for Nokia, their loss was expected for a company in transition. They had 2 WP7 devices on sale last quarter, so, like it or not,they are still a Symbian dominated company. BTW, how have Android-centric Sony, HTC and Motorola been doing lately?

  • Reply
  • 2012-04-12 03:05
  • RbqJ

> In reply to blueglue @ 2012-04-11 12:17 from PTij - click to read
i agree on that. basing on their history and track records, nokia and google could have mated to produce the best and unique phones in the world.

  • Reply
  • 2012-04-12 02:44
  • 9Lax

That is Microsoft for you. This happens all the time with Windows operating system, so why not their cell phone operating system?

  • Reply
  • 2012-04-12 02:38
  • j@x@

Maybe Nokia phones don`t have the best camera,maybe don`t have the best screen or the longest battery life or the best os.but this is Nokia`s difference.i`ve been waiting a fix to my xperia arc s`s wifi problem for 6 months.and Sony insisting on that there is no problem with my phone.thousands of sony customers suffering from same wifi problem like me.but Sony denying it.My next phone`ll definitely be a Nokia.

  • Reply
  • 2012-04-12 00:48
  • JChT

> In reply to Tonssuper @ 2012-04-11 10:46 from Kiss - click to readDont you read? This phone costs $100 and they will credit you $100 until april 21 if you bought your phone before then. Which means its free.. DUH??

  • Reply
  • 2012-04-11 22:58
  • Q}m9

> In reply to not the real me @ 2012-04-11 22:05 from 7Xc} - click to readLOL, I own a Lumia 710, it sucks. Can't even do Nokia Drive in the background. Nokia's refusal to update anything and keep believing their brand was worth a damn led them to lowest stock prices within 16 years. Nokia just plain sucks now.

  • Reply
  • 2012-04-11 22:43
  • keqR

> In reply to not the real me @ 2012-04-11 22:05 from 7Xc} - click to readThat is why Sony and Nokia are failing, especially Nokia. Refusing to go along with the times and believing that they are brand worth a dam, their stock prices plummeted today to lowest in 16 years. Nokia is as good as done and wp7 is over.

  • Reply
  • 2012-04-11 22:29
  • Q5TT

> In reply to Anonymous @ 2012-04-11 21:30 from keqR - click to readUr answer of HTC is meaningless.
HTC One X and Sony Xperia S are both high ends phones.( At least they have better specification than Lumia 900). Still struggling to sell well.
Lumia 900 (with unmatured OS and low hardware)just launched in U.S, still selling well.
Accept the fact, buddy.

  • Reply
  • 2012-04-11 22:13
  • uvfx

Note: Sponsored advertising links are in green.