News - Reader comments

Samsung Q1 results are out, takes top spot from Nokia

27 April, 2012 | Read the news | Post your comment
Samsung Q1 results are out, takes top spot from Nokia - read the full textSamsung announced its financial results for the first quarter of this year and the South Korean company is cheering. Analysts like Strategy Analytics say that it is now king of the mobile phone hill - ending Nokia's 14-year reign. Samsung shipped 93.5 million phones in the three month period,...

 

Sort by:

> In reply to Anonymous @ 2012-04-27 22:21 from 0Cb2 - click to readWow, are you that upset Nokia lost the number 1 spot? It was bound to happen with all the garbage they have been producing. 10 years ago RIM was #1 in the smart phone market, look at them now. Samsung caters to all segments of the market, they understood what the market wanted and delivered. Nokia just produced garbage hoping to sell to fan boys. That's just how business works. Neglect your customers long enough and they will move on. It will happen to Samsung as well, if they do what Nokia has been doing.

  • Reply
  • 2012-04-28 08:51
  • 4A4N

> In reply to Anonymous @ 2012-04-27 22:21 from 0Cb2 - click to readit's quite simple really, Android operating system is released free as an open source project by google, which in turn generates funds via the Android market purchases and advertisements.
OEMs have adopted the OS as it has many benefits such as the Google Play store and saves having to develop a new OS which would then compete with other OSs from multiple manufacturers, it all makes sense when you think about it.
take a look at the underpriced kindle fire, Amazon lose money on the device, with the hope to gain profit through the Amazon app store.

  • Reply
  • 2012-04-28 08:22
  • dSxA

> In reply to Eddwiser @ 2012-04-27 23:53 from 85D$ - click to readOUTDATED? you mean symbian or what?
coz Windows Phone is brand new fyki...

  • Reply
  • 2012-04-28 08:13
  • KA5A

Samsungs success is by their portfolio and price and Marketing. Not because of ANDROID.
HTC, Sony has failed in Android because they failed to produce variety of handsets.

Also, Samsung cannot win just alone with Android. The success includes their WP7 handsets and Bada Handsets.

  • Reply
  • 2012-04-28 08:11
  • KA5A

One

  • Reply
  • 2012-04-28 07:38
  • UDM8

Samsung and (Android) are now first (1.),very great great work!!!.Nokia is killing!. ;)

  • Reply
  • 2012-04-28 07:05
  • nS$U

> In reply to blueglue @ 2012-04-27 19:45 from wd8K - click to readBecause nokia suck. they need change smartphone division.

  • Reply
  • 2012-04-28 06:44
  • XMiw

> In reply to American Guy @ 2012-04-27 22:07 from aaNg - click to readNokia best hardware? but they use limited RAM [small RAM] on Symbian that the reason many developer hate Symbian.

  • Reply
  • 2012-04-28 06:37
  • XMiw

Huuray!! Symbian gone = Nokia gone LoL!!

  • Reply
  • 2012-04-28 06:34
  • XMiw

> In reply to Anonymous @ 2012-04-27 22:21 from 0Cb2 - click to readLol @ Anonymous comment on "Samsung make cheap phones"
Clearly he has never experienced the Samsung Galaxy S/S2/Note... Or any of the Galaxy range for that matter.
There is a very good reason for Samsung being the highest revenue raised.
An Apple fan boy, you sir have been owned.

  • Reply
  • 2012-04-28 06:21
  • bJG1

Samsung Phones Are The Worst Phones I Ever Saw.......Really Horrible....Nokia Rocksssss...!!

  • Reply
  • 2012-04-28 05:40
  • uvms

At the end of day Samsung rules Nokia is dying.. If you don't innovate you will lose out period. Samsung keep up the good work!




  • Reply
  • 2012-04-28 03:48
  • wHSb

How can some people say nokia is dead when it is number two? Does that mean number 3 to 10 and so on are dead two? 82.7 million phone sales in a quarter makes it a dead company? It has been on top for 14 years but i tell you this people, they surely will bounce back. they have the best phones right now (Lumia 900, 808 pureview, tons of feature phones, honestly they are a lot better than those cheap plastic galaxy y) and those who bought ugly phones from sammy will switch to back to nokia i tell you.

  • Reply
  • 2012-04-28 03:42
  • tWhE

> In reply to Nagol @ 2012-04-28 02:32 from k7PV - click to read14 years as king? they will surely bounce back. sammy will just be number 1 for a year. Number one because of cheap phones like galaxy y? Nokia will return.

  • Reply
  • 2012-04-28 03:33
  • tWhE

> In reply to Michael @ 2012-04-28 02:47 from LB23 - click to readYou got someone to agree with you... Finally...

  • Reply
  • 2012-04-28 03:28
  • rAQs

Good work Samsung, hopefully the S3 will be successful. Im a Sony fan and hope the Sony mobile results are going to be bit better especially with the Xperia S. Even though shipments were maxed out and they ran out of resources fingers crossed they sort it out. Plus Im hanging on for the Ion that looks like the device of the year so far from Sony.

  • Reply
  • 2012-04-28 03:11
  • vmAS

> In reply to prima @ 2012-04-28 02:37 from R$ar - click to readWell said!

I strongly believe that Samsung's sales are going to soar even higher when the S3 is released. Everyone else would really have to step up their game.

  • Reply
  • 2012-04-28 02:47
  • LB23

I'm not an android fanboy but it just disgusts me seeing people trash talk something, or anything, with bad bad english, go to school or something!

  • Reply
  • 2012-04-28 02:37
  • R$ar

Congratulations to Samsung they well deserve it. But I am a firm believer that Nokia will come back much stronger now that they are getting their flagship phone out their with windows. And WP7 is only getting started.

  • Reply
  • 2012-04-28 02:32
  • k7PV

> In reply to [deleted post]Easy there pal, Im not the one posting with multiple identities.

You are using at least six different names in this topic alone and the moderators can easily identify them all.Psychiatrist you say? LOL

  • Reply
  • 2012-04-28 01:16
  • LB23

Note: Sponsored advertising links are in green.