News - Reader comments

Nokia 808 PureView US launch confirmed by Nokia

Nokia 808 PureView US launch confirmed by Nokia - read the full textRecently, we heard that Nokia will be launching the Nokia 808 PureView in Mexico. This was after the company publicly announced that it won't be selling Symbian and S40 phones in North America any more and also excluding the continent from the 808 PureView list of launch countries. Now,...

 

Sort by:

> In reply to Anonymous @ 2012-05-11 11:38 from smbp - click to readThe decision was NOT made because of public demand - U.S. consumers are hardly aware of Symbian, and only became interested in Nokia because of the Lumias.

Nokia never said that the 808 would not be available in the U.S. - people just assumed it wouldn't be because U.S. carriers don't want Symbian shite on their network. So, just like the N8 and other unlocked Nokia devices being available on Amazon, so will the 808. Standard operating procedure for unlocked Nokia devices,not because of 'public demand'.

And like the N8, there will not be many U.S. sales for the 808 - it's niche, priced higher than it's worth, and it's Symbian.

  • Reply
  • 2012-05-12 14:53
  • 02Bx

they are doing this because some camera fans , instead of buying from amazon , nokia will provide it to them locally , and maybe in cheaper price , because after all nokia fans only buy unlocked phones " they are used to it " , and i will be one of them 2

  • Reply
  • 2012-05-12 05:13
  • qMHd

Want it now - here in Germany!!

  • Reply
  • 2012-05-12 00:03
  • 0}$u

woow, good news for you americans!!

  • Reply
  • 2012-05-11 21:43
  • 0}$u

all i need is a great phone (calls) a soberb camera/video, a gps and a decent browse to surf the net.

for everything else i just use my pc or tablet, much better than any phone...

tanx nokia

by the way - all the time my friends show me some apps on the IOS, there is always a picture involved, but without all that quality!

  • Reply
  • 2012-05-11 21:02
  • P4K2

You just don't get it.
Lets hope its more than a whisper in the wind.

  • Reply
  • 2012-05-11 19:25
  • 9DMH

> In reply to Fongy @ 2012-05-11 14:38 from GjjS - click to readI completely agree with you, in fact I thumbed you up; however, I think it's not just loyal Nokia customers that will buy this phone. In my opinion, people who want to differentiate themselves out of the norm (me) might buy this as well. In addition, if one wants superior call quality, and a pentaband phone, I think they'll get the Pureview 808 or the N9/N8. As of this post, there are only a few Android pentaband phones out there(Galaxy Nexus, and 5 Huawei phones.. Just my 2c.


BTW, I'm using an Xperia X10 right now, and I liked the the fact of having many apps, but as time goes by, I realized that I don't need as much apps as I thought I do, hence why I might go back to Nokia, but Galaxy Nexus is on the list as well for like you said, it's hard to migrate to another OS.. The point is, to each their own need.. In my case, a great camera, reliable reception and call quality, and a sturdy phone. Fanboys are just making this issue a big deal.. Grow up Fanboys.

To end this, I own most of the Apple, Samsung, Sony, and Nokia products and phones.. =) Peace!

  • Reply
  • 2012-05-11 18:52
  • 4Hkd

450 is the MSRP price of the 808, so about $600. The N8 was never on contract in the USA, but it still sold to those wanting one. $600 is still less than people spend on unlocked iPhones so the price really is that outrageous. $600 is still getting you a high end DSLR with connectivity that outstrips the mobile world and a very stable and functional smartphone with a beautiful display and great usability that fits in your pocket.

This is a fantastic phone and being officiall sold in the USA by Nokia through their Amazon Shop and who ever would like to carry it as an authorized dealer means we're also getting a One year warranty. That will surely help it sell to photo and video professionals and skeptical consumers who get cold feet buying out of contract.
It most certainly is a niche device, one that has a good deal of fans that must have the best camera phone available and are waiting with waited breathe and cash In hand.

  • Reply
  • 2012-05-11 18:47
  • efPu

Cool. I am interested if pricing is right.

Also, Do I see Android fanboys luking in ANOTHER Nokia Article? Lol yet they lash out when Nokia fanboys lurk in Android articles. Lol

  • Reply
  • 2012-05-11 18:43
  • jxxN

> In reply to Daniel @ 2012-05-11 10:45 from v0qT - click to readBlackberry OS10.

  • Reply
  • 2012-05-11 18:15
  • e6EA

> In reply to Anonymous @ 2012-05-11 15:08 from v0Xt - click to readWhy don't Americans deserve the S3 and the iPhone? And where are you from?

  • Reply
  • 2012-05-11 17:41
  • RbqJ

> In reply to bharathss @ 2012-05-11 14:52 from utar - click to readi completely agree with u.not everybody nids so much apps on their fones.i ownd a nokia c7 n am currently usin sony xperia arc...its d same apps i had on my nokia,i stil hav on my arc despite al d much apps on play store.android is s beautifl os,i wnt deny that bt i stil miss symbian.the more apps u hav,the more your data bundle runs n the more your battery wears out,so i just pick d necessary apps and leave the rest cos i dnt need them.Nokia is at crossroads and symbian was mismanaged for years bt now competition has given nokia a hard awakenin.nokia has tried updatin symbian twice already.i jus bliv we mak our preferences based on.wat we need.

  • Reply
  • 2012-05-11 17:27
  • N9@S

> In reply to Anonymous @ 2012-05-11 15:08 from v0Xt - click to readWhy don't Americans deserve the S3 and the iPhone?

  • Reply
  • 2012-05-11 16:29
  • RbXH

> In reply to Epstein @ 2012-05-11 12:48 from t7MH - click to readThat's probably true, even if hard to demonstrate. And that's one of the few very good things that can be said about Nokia right now: they listen to their costumers and still care about them. Even when that launch won't give'em a large profit, it will please US loyal costumers.

  • Reply
  • 2012-05-11 16:27
  • N9xA

americans doesnt deserve this phone, let alone galaxy s3 or iphone.

  • Reply
  • 2012-05-11 15:08
  • v0Xt

people talk about inavailability of apps in symbian belle, but I wonder how many apps one can use very frequently, but for me the nokia app store would be sufficient and i believe in nokia for its practicality in phones whether it might be durability, long battery life and pretty good multi tasking in belle..

  • Reply
  • 2012-05-11 14:52
  • utar

> In reply to Alin @ 2012-05-11 14:17 from p$uE - click to readBless you for defending Nokia so brilliantly.. and personally, I've had Nokias in the past, always loved them, and maybe next year when Apollo comes out I may even jump from Android to Winmo8! (if I haven't jumped to iOS first!)

There's only a few comments I would make about your statement though...

In terms of a dying OS and your comparison to a child... unless children where you come from have a 3-4 year lifespan, it's not really a proper comparison... research shows that people don't hop between operating systems that much, Android users may hop between manufacturers, but you don't see many Android people getting Apple products, and vice versa - this is because of the cost of apps, the learning curves, basically people stick to what they know...

In terms of Symbian now being 'slick' - it's pretty much irrelevant.. it's different to what is out there - and I don't honestly think people will invest time and money on learning a new OS for a couple of years before it is shut down... and pay $600 for the privilege - it just won't happen...

FINALLY!

You say there a lot of rubbish apps on Android (and on iOS) and that is true... but equally for every bad app there are two good ones... and you look at every TV advert for every kind of service or product "get the iphone app" or "get the android app" - people owning Symbian will miss out on ALL of this... so why would people who don't have a bizzare loyalty to Nokia move to them?

To take pictures? And show them on a low resolution screen? Whilst missing out an all the apps everyone else is enjoying? Whilst you get explosions in mobile gaming like draw something or words with friends or whatever... Symbian owners will be sitting on the sidelines missing out - they won't be part of today's generation or the next big thing, or be part of something that happens right now.

No.

The only people who will buy this are very loyal Nokia fans, and it's not those people Nokia need to convince - it's the rest of us...

  • Reply
  • 2012-05-11 14:38
  • GjjS

Videoshooting with Nokia 808 is pure magic!
Icelandic nature in this video from Nokia.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?f...U7s--KkPGQ#!

  • Reply
  • 2012-05-11 14:22
  • 3LV{

> In reply to Fongy @ 2012-05-11 13:22 from GjjS - click to readYou are wrong in some way... Symbian Belle FP1 is not behaind competition, I find it even better than Android ICS, remeber, I compare here sotfware OS, not hardware like screen resolution. Android bacame very complicated, while Symbian, complicated years ago, evolved to simplicity. Now comparing screens, Nokia did not increased the screen resolution on 808 because almost all legacy apps for Symbian (not Qt apps) are build for that resolution and increasing it would mean a lot of work for developers to modify apps. That was a quick solution... Anyway, Nokia Clear Black screens is better than most of the samsung screens, even if Nokia use samsung screens, Nokia modify them!

About a dying OS, by your definition, you can say that like you can say that a 1-2 year child is dying... but in reality users switch phones, even OSes in 1-2 years. Even if Symbian does not have all shity apps of android or iPhone, the most useful and populare ones are there, thus making 808 PureView a good choice, not to mention its BEST IN MARKET CAMERA INNOVATION. If the user want to have innovation in their hands, they will buy it, definately!

  • Reply
  • 2012-05-11 14:17
  • p$uE

Symbian isn't familiar in the US... I saw on youtube yesterday about pureview's review like phone dog, looks like he never use symbian belle... He looks so difficult when operating symbian camera UI... That's why a lot of american people hate symbian...

  • Reply
  • 2012-05-11 14:08
  • XMiv

Note: Sponsored advertising links are in green.