News - Reader comments

Samsung Galaxy S II sales reach 28M, Galaxy Note scores 7M

01 June, 2012 | Read the news | Post your comment
Samsung Galaxy S II sales reach 28M, Galaxy Note scores 7M - read the full textThe Galaxy series has been a huge hit for Samsung - the Koreans recently announced that the line of Android smartphones has surpassed 50 million sales globally. What's even more impressive, the bulk of that is from the flagship devices. The first one, the Samsung Galaxy S scored over 24 million...

 

Sort by:

> In reply to N3 @ 2012-06-01 22:34 from 8DcS - click to readOn the other hand, Samsung could make their own OS and try to compete. Well, something beside Bada of course. Maybe tizen will be successful.

  • Reply
  • 2012-06-02 01:10
  • RbqJ

> In reply to N3 @ 2012-06-01 22:34 from 8DcS - click to readThat's what I was asking earlier. Does anyone have any numbers for these. And if you do, which phones do you include? The Note & the GS2? What about Moto? Droid Razr and Razr Maxx? What about HTC and Sony and LG? If you have the numbers please post them. It's a bit embarrassing though that you have to resort to an entire basket of phones from a myriad of companies to beat the offerings of a single one.

  • Reply
  • 2012-06-02 00:43
  • RbqJ

> In reply to iAm @ 2012-06-01 17:37 from YTZn - click to readThe funny things is, you dont know how many 4s that number is. Because apple Will never tell. So if you compare, then it should by against All android phone, and then the iPhone loose. But Yes, i think s too that the 4s have sold way more then the SGS2. But those number just doesnt show.

  • Reply
  • 2012-06-01 23:32
  • 3rHr

> In reply to Whatchasay @ 2012-06-01 22:10 from 4$ve - click to readIphone has more sales because it is the only smartphone from apple OS, a true competition would be, all android flagships vs iphone.

  • Reply
  • 2012-06-01 22:34
  • 8DcS

> In reply to Anonymous @ 2012-06-01 20:40 from 0U$W - click to readI understand what you're saying. I had a small chat with another poster about it earlier. To put it in perspective though, according to the info released, the Galaxy S + S2 + Note sold just under 60 million devices since June 2010 (about 2 years). That's really good, but Apple sold over 70 million iPhones (not counting iPads, of course) in the last 2 QUARTERS. Android would really have to consolidate for any single device to even come close to selling such a quantity. The S3 has a good chance of beating iPhone sales in the next (3rd) quarter, but by the 4th things will be lopsided once more. Unless Apple releases a complete stinker, which I doubt they will. The end of this year and next year will be a turning point in the mobile space though. WP8 vs iOS vs Android vs BB10 and maybe even Tizen.

  • Reply
  • 2012-06-01 22:10
  • 4$ve

> In reply to iAm @ 2012-06-01 17:47 from YTZn - click to readAnd the more sader we all should be, for all those blinded people...

  • Reply
  • 2012-06-01 21:50
  • LYP9

> In reply to Whatchasay @ 2012-06-01 17:03 from 4$ve - click to readI have to agree with you. I am not an iPhone fan... in fact, I had the Galaxy S before and the S2 now.

But, as you say, if the field were to be narrowed to just the S2 or the S3 as the top-end Android phone against the iPhone... the technical superiority of the Android phone wouldn't matter.
Most people would rather buy a good looking iPhone which has a powerful ecosystem backed by Apple.
All people, around the world, do not spend their time rooting their phones and playing around with the software... they would prefer good quality apps readily available in a store and a lot of them would even pay for it.
If Google & Android step up to provide a higher quality software experience (the OS is fine, but they really need a quality control for the apps in Google Play) to match the superior hardware of Samsung and Samsung pulls up its socks and does something about the aesthetic design of their phones... it is going to be difficult to rise to higher & better levels for both Samsung & Google.

  • Reply
  • 2012-06-01 21:49
  • TS8V

> In reply to iAm @ 2012-06-01 17:37 from YTZn - click to readThe article says 47 million iPhones... they have not specified that they are the 4S (except in the headline)
Later in the article there is no clarification as to the number of iPhone 4S units sold.

Here the 28 million is purely S2 and the 7 million purely the Note.

  • Reply
  • 2012-06-01 21:38
  • TS8V

If i want to buy a high end ios device i have 1 choice ,iphone4s but if i want a high end android device i have many choices!s2.note.nexus.s3.onex.ones.xperia s.razor.etc!
This is the reason that single android phone can not match iphone4s sales.considering this s2 and s3 sales are really high

  • Reply
  • 2012-06-01 20:40
  • 0U$W

pls stop referring to all Android handsets as "droids"

  • Reply
  • 2012-06-01 20:40
  • LaEP

> In reply to hi @ 2012-06-01 16:15 from LhT4 - click to readI agree with you that S2 to S3 is not as big of a jump. But S3 will still outsell S2, just not by alot.

And before people start saying "WTF?", yes physically its a big jump (quad core, 4.8", HD). However S2 is smooth, responsive, great features - vastly improved over S1 (lag, memory size, screen, data, GPS, camera, etc...). S3 is smoother, more responsive and more features than S2, but is not the same leap of improvement because the S2 is already so good.

  • Reply
  • 2012-06-01 20:37
  • sG{a

Samsung and other android phone maker should stop producing white color phone... that's the color for Mac... and it is ugly... white border, black screen...
and don't make any more phone with the hard home button...
look just like the ugly apple desgin...
iphone is the number one phone of yester years...
iphone and ifans are still living on past glory...
until any android sale figure surpass it, it is still the number one phone...
iphone are build for the American, just like THEIR American football played with hands.

  • Reply
  • 2012-06-01 20:07
  • tR6E

> In reply to zyrus @ 2012-06-01 18:18 from syk1 - click to readTech heads or reviewers dont decide which product is good or bad , people decide that and also to explain this to u better , 'products should be appealing to people but not critics or reviewers who just judge a product by using it one day or two but a consumer uses a product for like 2-3 years which reflects a point that success is based on consumer's mind towards particular product but not fanboy's or tech head mind'

  • Reply
  • 2012-06-01 19:53
  • 2T7j

> In reply to Dr. Hoess @ 2012-06-01 19:29 from 0xMq - click to readI totally agree , i always pick mid range products , not because i cant afford or save money but its really waste to invest on phone that much.For a PC , u can upgrade it later but for phones its not that case , its locked down.Mid range phones this year = top end phones last year and so on , this year high end phone will be next year's mid range phones.

  • Reply
  • 2012-06-01 19:49
  • 2T7j

> In reply to anon @ 2012-06-01 16:50 from MkXA - click to readI'd say they're talking about the problems with getting the S3 pebble blue color due to manufacturing issue (or so Samsung claim).
Might also be about how many people have expressed some disappointment that S3 didn't have everything they wished/hoped for (eg: RGB not pentile screen, lack of quality of materials, uninspiring design).

Anyway don't think there is a problem. But do what I do - wait a couple of months and see if people find any issues with it before you buy.

  • Reply
  • 2012-06-01 19:43
  • sG{a

> In reply to Whatchasay @ 2012-06-01 18:55 from 4$ve - click to readcompare iphone 4s to s3 side by side....
s3 win hands down...
5 out of 8 prefer iphone...
why ???
ans: easy to use... it's a touch screen dumb phone...

  • Reply
  • 2012-06-01 19:31
  • tR6E

They sell so much Galaxy S2 because it became to a normal price. It is strange, 12 months ago S2 cost 900 dollars, now it costs 450. So why to buy S3 now when after a year you can save 500 dollars??! Technology is strange... Anyway, I have smartphone for 350 dollars and I know that S2 isnt better than that one.

  • Reply
  • 2012-06-01 19:29
  • 0xMq
  • a... from bangladesh
  • Report
  • Rating0

I ment used IN bangladesh (correction to my last comment)

  • Reply
  • 2012-06-01 19:09
  • uNVC

> In reply to mimi @ 2012-06-01 15:46 from 0V1{ - click to readWhat fiasco?????

  • Reply
  • 2012-06-01 18:58
  • 8CX3

> In reply to Fongy @ 2012-06-01 17:53 from GjjS - click to readWhy did you buy the iPad then? Obviously the balance between price+product was enough for you to justify the purchase, otherwise you would have bought and Android or some other tablet. Why didn't you buy one of those then?

One of the meanings of innovate is "to make changes : do something in a new way" and according to you, and I guess Steve Jobs, they do it well.

  • Reply
  • 2012-06-01 18:55
  • 4$ve

Note: Sponsored advertising links are in green.