News - Reader comments

Intel: Android makes poor use of those multi-core processors

11 June, 2012 | Read the news | Post your comment
Intel: Android makes poor use of those multi-core processors - read the full textNokia's CEO, Stephen Elop, has previously stated that dual and quad-core processors on mobile phones waste battery more than anything else. Now, Intel's GM of Intel's Mobile and Communications Group, Mike Bell, chimes in saying that Android just isn't ready for multi-core CPUs. While Elop's...

 

Sort by:

  • jackskellington6sic6
  • Report
  • Rating0

> In reply to Hamuman Cakra @ 2012-06-12 02:51 from tA$Q - click to readSo just because you are going to use you pc instead means that a phone cannot be powerful now or future proof. Just because it's irrelevant for you? So phone tech should die out just because you say it's not a computer? News flash they are computers.

  • Reply
  • 2012-06-12 03:06
  • q8Q8
  • jackskellington6sic6
  • Report
  • Rating0

> In reply to Hamuman Cakra @ 2012-06-12 02:57 from tA$Q - click to readYou are missing the point. Intel is making market hype. IOS and Wp do not fully utilize extra cores either. Even pc's do not fully utilize them. They never said Android did not utilize them or that they did not benefit at all. Just that they need more work to be more efficient. IT's the same with other os's. This is common knowledge to those who know these things already. What they are doing is making fuss in the negative view point of Android meanwhile they are going to release their dual core soon and praise how it was god to the system. Granted it will perform nicely, but are you following???????

  • Reply
  • 2012-06-12 03:04
  • q8Q8

what intel and Elop says are true, smoothness on a phone is not depend in how many cores it has but rather on software coding, WP and IOS has the best coding, Nokia with Nokia OS can Accelerate the performance of it device only with a single cores, look at Pureview where Full HD recording only with single cores and Meego which run on single core but out perform dual cores android device

  • Reply
  • 2012-06-12 02:57
  • tA$Q

> In reply to dangermouse @ 2012-06-11 20:01 from mfY6 - click to readwe buying a phone not a PC, PC need High Specs and can be Upgradeable, a phone?? U buy a new one (upgrade in term of Phone) and no body want to use its phone for 5 years (the contract only for 2 years) so what future proof ????

  • Reply
  • 2012-06-12 02:51
  • tA$Q

who cares about cores?

all i care is about user experience!



  • Reply
  • 2012-06-12 02:50
  • t7Xk

Better get a dual-core smartphone, rather than a quad-core phone. Quad-core sucks because of its battery life. Get a Sony.

  • Reply
  • 2012-06-12 02:26
  • K7gL

Quad-core smartphones doesnt have enough battery power, so why a quad-core smartphones, thats why Sony does not release a quad-core phones this year., simply because of battery problem.

  • Reply
  • 2012-06-12 02:21
  • K7gL

> In reply to jackskellington6sic6 @ 2012-06-11 23:49 from q8Q8 - click to readAre you obsessed with me or something. You always search out my posts and take the time to reply. I must say, I'm a bit flattered to have my own personal fan/stalker.

  • Reply
  • 2012-06-12 00:07
  • 4$ve
  • jackskellington6sic6
  • Report
  • Rating0

> In reply to Whatchasay @ 2012-06-11 20:57 from RbXH - click to readOh yeah. Let me tell you. Future proof is cliche. Let me tell you how smart you are. Why buy
a product yhat is outdated and os soon to be further outdated when you can buy something more advanced that's only going to get even better. I mean why do that. Read between the lines. It doesn't say that its useless or doesn't work, but they are not fully utilized. That's not just Android. All platforms are working towards it. Everyone says the same thing every step of the way with tech. Oh nobody needs that. Couple years later..oh that's so old. Get the picture?

  • Reply
  • 2012-06-11 23:49
  • q8Q8

Ok, coming in late on this one. If intel say andriod is lacking, then it should be true. Experience ok. So if theres quadcores let have double screens, or 1500 mah bat. Is too much 4 a phone, now i understand why Apple always get it right. Is just like buying a hd flat screen where there is no hd broadcast, men, we are all sold out.

  • Reply
  • 2012-06-11 23:28
  • mcja

so what the dude is sayins is that even thou multicore phones are a lot faster then singlecore , they can be even faster :)

  • Reply
  • 2012-06-11 22:25
  • 3qSG

To Anonymous!
Are yo that plane stupid?
In every PC yo both yo will find at list 2 ARM cores with SSD more!
Biggest ARM client is Intel!
Intel is beginning to (for a 3 party) manufacture them!
In the best case Intel is 2 times worser in performance per wat (it's actually 3 to 4 times)!

  • Reply
  • 2012-06-11 21:54
  • mnSp

Fragmentation.

We've been saying it for years.

  • Reply
  • 2012-06-11 21:44
  • sXjZ
  • jackskellington6sic6
  • Report
  • Rating0

You pathetic trolls will buy into anything you hear while.purposely over looking the facts and sensibility pointed out repeatedly just because it would eradicate your trolling. Read between the lines. Use common sense for once in you life. Stand appart!

  • Reply
  • 2012-06-11 20:57
  • q8Q8

it would be nice if the phone manufacurers customize android to be more efficient in using multicore cpus through a patch or something. Imagine, if its optimized then it will become more reliable and not power hungry.

  • Reply
  • 2012-06-11 20:57
  • v0Xt

> In reply to dangermouse @ 2012-06-11 20:01 from mfY6 - click to read"Future proof" is one of the most overused cliches I've seen people use when talking about technology. In a few months there will always be something better. Does that make your phone useless? Will it stop working? The only thing that will happen is that people who use their phone to measure their self worth will realize they are losers.

  • Reply
  • 2012-06-11 20:57
  • RbXH

> In reply to Tizen Takeover @ 2012-06-11 17:32 from jxxN - click to readyet more pointless comments from you about a dead operating system like tizen shortly followed by another software death wp7.

  • Reply
  • 2012-06-11 20:47
  • 3af5

i think intel just afraid arm will be more stronger than x86..

  • Reply
  • 2012-06-11 20:45
  • 9IZK

Netronome lays
out their 22nm
NFP-6xxx line!
(semi Accurate).
Android make good use of you and Microsoft don't hi hi bro group!
Truth is that Google should like to use you so don't let them.
Android = Linux on anfetamin so help development of Linux and Google didn't! They instead promote that monstrousity they make!

Sweat dreams are made of this ...

  • Reply
  • 2012-06-11 20:07
  • mnSp

"Android does not make as effective use of multiple cores as it could" Maybe not but they are working towards being more effective... SO when buying a multi core device you are buying a more "future proof" device.

Just like when you bought a PC some times back... you caould buy PC's with more than 4 gb ram even though your 32 bit OS might not be able to take advantage of it.

You buy "future proof" in the hope that you are not forced out to buy a new phone 6 months after you just forked out 600 - 700$ for your last one.

  • Reply
  • 2012-06-11 20:01
  • mfY6

Note: Sponsored advertising links are in green.