News - Reader comments

Samsung will manufacture 28nm Qualcomm Snapdragon chips

04 July, 2012 | Read the news | Post your comment
Samsung will manufacture 28nm Qualcomm Snapdragon chips - read the full textYes, you read that right. Samsung, one of major producers of own-brand mobile silicon, is about to help Qualcomm produce some of their 28nm Snapdragon S4 SoCs. How about that? The reason for this is that Qualcomm's current manufacturing partner, Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing, better...

 

Sort by:

I know absolutely nothing about chips or chip design. However, I have two galaxy Notes. One is a N7000 which sports the Exynos hardware. The other is an SGH-I717 which sports the Qualcomm hardware. Both are running a leaked version of ICS. All I can say is the performance of the Exynos seems better. It's more responsive, the battery lasts longer, and it heats up less. For these reasons, I use the N7000 much more. Also the Exynos has FM radio built in.

  • Reply
  • 2012-07-05 01:31
  • 0aKW

> In reply to Imagewerx @ 2012-07-04 23:12 from 3GCn - click to readI'm with you bro!

  • Reply
  • 2012-07-05 01:07
  • PWng

samsung rulez the world :) in samsung our money become innovation :) thank's to apple & android who make very big changes in mobile technology.

  • Reply
  • 2012-07-05 00:43
  • XMiv

Samsung probably could make chip with LTE but will eat battery quick

  • Reply
  • 2012-07-04 23:45
  • kg3x

how can you say that samsung is an innovator?

"Samsung isn't happy that its own Exynos chips aren't as preferred as Qualcomm ones in the US because of their lack of LTE support"

They cant even make their chips with LTE support come on... tsk! tsk! tsk! quadcore? duh!

  • Reply
  • 2012-07-04 23:32
  • 3CeQ

Qualcomm chips on WP8 has DirectX but crashes on Android.

  • Reply
  • 2012-07-04 23:27
  • kg3x

> In reply to Thorudk @ 2012-07-04 20:31 from JpGi - click to readBecause the S4 is a dual core whereas the Exynos is a quad core. Go study.

  • Reply
  • 2012-07-04 23:26
  • 0xQJ

> In reply to Imagewerx @ 2012-07-04 23:12 from 3GCn - click to readYes its true that samsung makes apples chips but still apple design them and by the way they stopped ordering dram from samsung FYI...

http://macdailynews.com/2012/0...upply-chain/

  • Reply
  • 2012-07-04 23:26
  • 3CeQ

Qualcomm chips run best on Windows Phone 8 with DirectX games.

  • Reply
  • 2012-07-04 23:25
  • kg3x

> In reply to aqua24 @ 2012-07-04 19:58 from t7Xi - click to readYou really are an ignorant pleb aren't you without a clue about what's happening in the real world? You're obviously incapable of typing a few words into Google to find out that Samsung makes all the significant chips used in iPhones,in fact one third of every iPhone is made by Samsung.
The reason Samsung got the contract is they're VERY good at what they do,which in this case is making microchips.No one else could guarantee and meet the delivery times,quantities and strict quality control that Apple asked for.

  • Reply
  • 2012-07-04 23:12
  • 3GCn

Are this coing to go next SGS3 Windows Phone 8 model/version?..I hope so!.

  • Reply
  • 2012-07-04 22:48
  • 6uLc

Samsung doesn't mind manufacturing these chips, as they have the Exynos 5 Dual ready for production.

http://www.samsung.com/global/...ts5dual.html

  • Reply
  • 2012-07-04 22:12
  • wgjT

> In reply to joonius @ 2012-07-04 21:06 from qbYT - click to readmost comapanies use 28nm anyway.

cortex a15 not yet fully developed its more in early beta stage

  • Reply
  • 2012-07-04 21:41
  • LhT4

Samsung already gave Korean's market Exynos chip with LTE why they don't do the same in US!
Qualcomm chip is so weak i hate it on my old Dell Streak vs Galaxy S1.
I hope Samsung just keep Exynos + extra chip for LTE because its the best chip ever! I have it on my Galaxy Note its rocking even better than Quad core Tegra or S4 with some tweaks in benchmarks but i don't know if in real life too.
http://www.gsmarena.com/the_lt...ews-4362.php

  • Reply
  • 2012-07-04 21:27
  • fqeK

> In reply to SFAN @ 2012-07-04 20:52 from qbc1 - click to readThe fanboy obviously has no idea what he's talking about. Lol

  • Reply
  • 2012-07-04 21:06
  • qbYT

> In reply to aqua24 @ 2012-07-04 19:58 from t7Xi - click to readwtf are you talking about? All of these CPU chips are from ARM's architect design. Each company like Qualcomm, Texas Instrument, Samsung...etc have license from ARM to make their own chips. Qualcomm just have features of A15 architect and 28nm transistors for better battery life.

  • Reply
  • 2012-07-04 20:52
  • qbc1

> In reply to Anonymous @ 2012-07-04 20:02 from GgK3 - click to readno one care about that chip anymore.

  • Reply
  • 2012-07-04 20:36
  • YbM6

Exynos 5 Dual with LTE will rule....
Look at the performance of the Exynos 4 Quad against the Snapdragon S4 inside HTC smartphones. In the benchmarks won by the S4, the margin is small.
The new Exynos will rule the mobile chipset kingdom...

  • Reply
  • 2012-07-04 20:31
  • JpGi

i think nvidia tegra 4 would beat them both

  • Reply
  • 2012-07-04 20:02
  • GgK3

big mistake for qualcomm. samsung will just copy the chips then come out with their own version just like what they did with iphone.

  • Reply
  • 2012-07-04 19:58
  • t7Xi

Note: Sponsored advertising links are in green.