News - Reader comments

Samsung Galaxy S III update does away with universal search

25 July, 2012 | Read the news | Post your comment
Samsung Galaxy S III update does away with universal search - read the full textThe latest 'stability' update for the international Samsung Galaxy S III no longer lets you search your local data (such as contacts and media files), due to legal pressure from Apple. This comes after a similar patch removed universal search functionality from the Sprint and AT&T variants...

 

Sort by:

This appears to me as a very clever strategy. Gradually put in some features so that apple cannot attack all out. Robert Lichota

  • Reply
  • 2012-07-26 08:36
  • miZk

Whenever Apple releases new OS, either mac or iOS, they state 'over 200 new features' but users never knew except 10-15 features. While Android releases new OS along with exact new features and log details. The one who say Android is crappy perhaps they still didn't get their hands on Jelly Beans. Of course iOS is also a smart OS. I don't blame it.

  • Reply
  • 2012-07-26 08:15
  • PAXp

> In reply to haru280 @ 2012-07-26 02:33 from 0Yd3 - click to readDear haru280,

Samsung has been found to have destroyed internal emails and evidence but was exposed by Google's side. Google themselves warned Samsung not to copy Apple, and even Google engineers and random focus group members warned Samsung in official documents that the Galaxy Tab and Galaxy Tab 10.1 were “too similar” to the iPad and that the Samsung Galaxy S smartphone line “looked like it copied the iPhone too much.

http://www.inquisitr.com/28542...t-documents/

Truth hurts doesnt it? And one more thing, the truth always comes out in the end.

SGS3 major departure in design was already a sign of an admission that the previous designs were ripoffs of Apple, and what the whole industry already knew.

  • Reply
  • 2012-07-26 08:04
  • IVVf

READ THIS
http://blogs.wsj.com/koreareal...pt-to-prove/

  • Reply
  • 2012-07-26 08:03
  • 0Yd3

Nokia can rise again only when they make deal with Google.

  • Reply
  • 2012-07-26 07:52
  • PAXp

> In reply to jbpianist28 @ 2012-07-26 01:31 from X3tk - click to readreally ..... u dont surely believe that do you? im no samboy fanboy but i think nokia has had its day i was once the greatest but a few bad decicions and they try`d to do too much too soon. The N series was their first nail in the coffin. I genuinely cant see them making a comeback and im in the business

  • Reply
  • 2012-07-26 07:27
  • 95js

> In reply to jbpianist28 @ 2012-07-26 01:31 from X3tk - click to readIn your dreams sunny boy.. nokia SUX big time cant even pay their own employees downsizing like hell :| poor employees of nokia what must've been goin through them :( i say sale this peace of shit n move on with something new.. with a better camera like pureview they still have a chance in camera market... ;)

  • Reply
  • 2012-07-26 06:35
  • 3Jxu

> In reply to El Carlo @ 2012-07-26 01:12 from Lx6B - click to readReally? Maybe Samsung should license the tech from Nokia.

  • Reply
  • 2012-07-26 06:31
  • P@T8

> In reply to jbpianist28 @ 2012-07-26 01:31 from X3tk - click to readnokia will die soon

  • Reply
  • 2012-07-26 06:11
  • Mfxe

> In reply to Anonymous @ 2012-07-26 01:08 from vV5G - click to readUniversal search existed well before apple. Samsung is acknowledging that apple is a patent troll.

  • Reply
  • 2012-07-26 05:59
  • jAKx

> In reply to jbpianist28 @ 2012-07-26 01:31 from X3tk - click to readYou nokia fans have been dribbling about a new Nokia phone or operating system for years now..... nothing seems to happen.

  • Reply
  • 2012-07-26 05:48
  • 2G3i

> In reply to jbpianist28 @ 2012-07-26 01:31 from X3tk - click to readAnd this is based on which crystal ball? ALL intelligent facts point to Nokia not being able to join the between Apple and Samsung. Sick of Nokia fanboys and their baseless comments! People hate Nokia just because of you.

  • Reply
  • 2012-07-26 05:28
  • t7Xr

I am sure when window phone wp9 come out. it will kick apple out of the phone race.

  • Reply
  • 2012-07-26 05:04
  • tVmS

apple sucks, go ahead sammy don't worried abt crapple..........

  • Reply
  • 2012-07-26 04:56
  • 2GjV

Technology should be free to use and manufacture. Owning a patent doesnt necesarily mean to sue others. Samsung or other company can add text in their software info option for copyright information. But here main point comes to have royalties of each patent used by other. Apple is such a greedy company. They just want damn dollar. If you solve algebra and make patent then it doesnt mean other have no right to solve it and write in exam.

  • Reply
  • 2012-07-26 03:56
  • PAXp

I reckon the judges awarding these ridiculous rulings in favour of Apple are not using commonsense. Get a life Apple, get on with it and produce a better product than your competitors. Play fair Apple, before losing all your followers!

  • Reply
  • 2012-07-26 02:39
  • PPTH

> In reply to [deleted post]i agree with your point, but i bet half of the people say they hate samsung, but have samsung products in their home

  • Reply
  • 2012-07-26 02:34
  • 0Yd3

First of all,, why should samsung take it off of the international version, that is seriously stupid. Secondly the Software Patent System is, as of now, really pointless. the cell phone industry should be free for innovation. Half of these patents shouldn't even belong to Apple, given the fact they didn't create it. The voice search didn't exist on apple until the iPhone 4s, but phones such as the Mytouch 3g, that came out years ago, had the genius button, aka voice search. even the tmobile g1 and g2 had the same thing. It is time for Google to step in, because if android gets banned, we are stuck buying crapple phones or windows. NOT TO MENTION,EVER SINCE ANDROID CAME OUT, THESE PHONES ALWAYS HAD HIGHER SALES THAN IPHONES, so apple is just mad that another company is much higher than them, to the point of banning the company. And on top of that, if samsung and other companies are really smart, they should make a patent for creating phones with 3.7" screens of bigger, so that the next iPhone won't have a chance of selling, just to show how petty apples reason is. Android is more efficient than apple, because it targets everyone, giving them different designs and sizes, unlike apple that stayed with the same design for 5 years. What samsung and other android companies should do is originally sell the phone without these so-called patent copy features, get as much sold, then provide an update to the users with one, so they can easily get them into usa.

  • Reply
  • 2012-07-26 02:33
  • 0Yd3

> In reply to jbpianist28 @ 2012-07-26 01:31 from X3tk - click to readTalk when that actually happens, til then I encourage you to keep your unfounded and pointless predictions to yourself.

  • Reply
  • 2012-07-26 02:27
  • RKuX

I wait with interest on what Windows 8 can really do. If it is half as good as what the media is suggesting, Android will certainly loose market share. At the moment, there is little more Android can do as it is nearly an optimised system, and with concerns over its security issues. The SIII may be news today, but it will not be in 6 months time such is the fickle nature of the buying public. You can bank on that. As for the update, why update?

  • Reply
  • 2012-07-26 01:56
  • y$i{

Note: Sponsored advertising links are in green.