News - Reader comments

Google had warned Samsung not to use Apple's designs

27 July, 2012 | Read the news | Post your comment
Google had warned Samsung not to use Apple's designs - read the full textAnd the juicy details keep flowing in. Like we mentioned in our previous article about leaked iPhone prototype designs, the Apple vs. Samsung legal battle is resulting in a lot of never before seen information reaching the public through legal documents. The latest bit of info is about...

 

Sort by:

Yes the Samsung Galaxy S II looks a bit like the IPhone only bigger with different buttons, but it would honestly be better not looking like the IPhone cos both are as ugly as sin and the I phone is pretty dull, you make calls send texts browse the net, check email/facebook, listen to music, take pictures and maybe watch the odd you tube video and play the odd game perhaps upload the odd pic to facebook. Anything else? You can do these things on almost any phone that comes out these days and have been able to do almost, if not all these things on many phones since before the I phone came out. So where did Apple get the idea from . . . ?
I owned many a phone before the I phone came out and things went ticking on just fine. I've got a Samsung Galaxy S III and use it for most of the things I mentioned above, but to behonest I find most of the apps annoying e.g the facebook and email ones, prefer going in to the actual internet sites and there's only a few I really appreciate.
Technology chances all the time and years from now we could be looking back at the 'Iphone' or 'Smartphone' as a thing of the past and something could well have taken over. Apple should get its head out its arse cos i've purchased many a mobile phone over the years and there's always been a reason I chose not to go for the I phone and it's nothing to do with price, it's just when ever I went to look in to buying a new phone I always felt that the I phone was lacking what I wanted in some way, so that'll where alot of there 'damages' are coming from. It's only recently it's saw fit to get a decent camera on the phone, where did the get that idea from?
To repeat what an other customer said it's a good job Apple never invented the wheel . . .

  • Reply
  • 2012-09-14 19:39
  • 39BB

Yes the Samsung Galaxy S II looks a bit like the IPhone only bigger with different buttons, but it would honestly be better not looking like the IPhone cos both are as ugly as sin and the I phone is pretty dull, you make calls send texts browse the net, check email/facebook, listen to music, take pictures and maybe watch the odd you tube video and play the odd game perhaps upload the odd pic to facebook. Anything else? You can do these things on almost any phone that comes out these days and have been able to do almost, if not all these things on many phones since before the I phone came out. So where did Apple get the idea from . . . ?
I owned many a phone before the I phone came out and things went ticking on just fine. I've got a Samsung Galaxy S III and use it for most of the things I mentioned above, but to behonest I find most of the apps annoying e.g the facebook and email ones, prefer going in to the actual internet sites and there's only a few I really appreciate.
Technology chances all the time and years from now we could be looking back at the 'Iphone' or 'Smartphone' as a thing of the past and something could well have taken over. Apple should get its head out its arse cos i've

  • Reply
  • 2012-09-14 19:33
  • 39BB

> In reply to iKnow @ 2012-08-04 15:41 from YTZn - click to readyeah exactly

  • Reply
  • 2012-08-08 12:28
  • q8Q8

> In reply to iKnow @ 2012-08-04 15:41 from YTZn - click to readLook up Samsung f700, Nokia e70, sony p910. its all right in front of you.
Go google search yourself all the epic phones before Iphone instead of constantly blaming me for not answering you. Got off you a** and search. You can flame me on a forum you can surely do some google search. Some phones had different shapes and keys just because it made them work and look cool.

  • Reply
  • 2012-08-06 13:34
  • q8Q8

> In reply to iKnow @ 2012-08-04 15:41 from YTZn - click to readAgain proving my point. Miss comprehending and falsely accusing me scapegoating onto me what you are doing. I have read all of your words yet you misstake what I say and turn around and say things that point towards things and tell me I must not have read what you typed. Calling me ballistic for being shocked by your ignorance. I can show you ballistic and this is not even close. You said fresh and none like it. That implies best or among best. I spoke of more than the camera and only focused slightly more on it because how out there your statement was. I did not however flame you on it as you have implied. I did however mention other things. You just didn't read it, comprehend it, or what I think it just wasn't enough to satisfy you. Then you accused me of things. I focused on the camera because you say fresh 2mp when we were almost at 8mp and had better quality, had D1 video, big flashes, had HD around the corner and you say videoless, flashles, fresh 2mp like it's special.

As for the others there were so many phones smart or not that had many features equal to or better than Iphone that you just obviously have no clue about it was not as easily all in one comments as the camera. Yet here you are scapegoating your ignorance to me. What about how you actually keep disregarding my comments? Weather or not it's fully what you want to hear I have replied to most everything you said, yet you have actually disregarded a few things I said just repeating the same things over and. Yet again I'm the one ignoring somehow. I caught you in a contradiction and you completely ignored it. I keep telling you there was so much more than that and all you can do is focus on simple Iphone features and pittle pattle instead of learning something.

Yeah they also have other reviews praising Iphones for things that most other reviews show other phones beig better. Like the camera. Even their own results showed better performance from others while the review said it did better, dissing on another phone in the category it did best in, calling a phones single led weak when it had two that they prior said were bright together, and trashing a phone cam that they had just recently called spectacular. Also at that time that browser was different and new. It still wasn't the best or strongest.

btw I know you have been here before and in the past you did not seem as completely dense to these subjects. Still a troll, but seemed to know a little more prior

  • Reply
  • 2012-08-06 12:13
  • q8Q8

> In reply to Anonymous @ 2012-08-04 03:16 from q8Q8 - click to readi never said the cam was the best dude. you're the one that didn't read my comment completely. again, the cam was great BUT IT'S NOT THE BEST. I NEVER SAID IT WAS THE BEST. and AGAIN, it's not only the camera that i pointed out in my previous comments.

like i said before, besides the camera, there are other features i pointed out. i think the only reason why you picked the camera is because that's you're only defense also. when i called you ballistic, that's because you said several things about me saying that i said that the iphone 2g's camera was the best but in fact, there's not a single word "best" i wrote or anything else. i just said it's good.

and the browser of the iphone 2g at that time was one of the best browsers around. you don't have to go far. even GSMArena's review for the iphone 2g say so.

  • Reply
  • 2012-08-04 15:41
  • YTZn

> In reply to iKnow @ 2012-08-03 18:43 from YTZJ - click to readAgain you horribly fail to comprehend. The cam was no where near the best and it was not just the cam that set off my comment nor was that balistic. But calling my comments ballistic seems to be your only defense. Its more shock of ignorance and your entire lack of knowledge of the situation and thinking the cam was something special.

Saying the iphone was new and revolutionary and saying what other phone can do these things and then I point out multiple companies that were already ahead and then you asking why I mentioned other companies. Do you not see the contradiction????????? Where do you get off thinking it was the best browser or anything? Again for the billionth time you need to learn some phone history and you really need to improve on reading and comprehension. Again you keep misreading and comprehending, you obviously have very little knowledge on the history of phones, you keep reiterating pointless things, and yet still keep replying.

  • Reply
  • 2012-08-04 03:16
  • q8Q8

> In reply to Anonymous @ 2012-08-03 12:36 from q8Q8 - click to readi can't believe from all the features of the first iphone i pointed out, you only noticed the camera. yes, the 2 megapixel cam of the first iphone was great w/in line of the phones w/ONLY 2 megapixels also. i never said anything about the cam that would make you go bullistic over it.

plus, at that time, most 2 megapixel cams can't compete w/the quality of the iphone 2g's. anyway, let's just leave this camera issue behind.

and why are you saying great phones from other companies? i can still remember in your previous posts, what does the iphone have to make revolutionary at that time? (not exact words). so, i replied to you and my answers are it's features then your suddenly gonna bash me over phones of other companies. i do appreciate those but this is between apple and samsung only.

you asked a question, i gave the right answers then you call me a fool.

like i said before, calm down. im only explaining dude.

  • Reply
  • 2012-08-03 18:43
  • YTZJ

> In reply to iKnow @ 2012-08-02 18:16 from YTZ0 - click to readgo look up many smartphones from back in that time. Are you kidding me. Do you have any clue what Motorola and Nokia brought to the phones back then? OR Sony and Samsung even? Obviously not. You have no basis of knowledge what so ever in this field yet you keep replying endlessly like a fool with hallow and fasle statements. Again for the love of god research phones and learn something before replying. Fresh 2mp cam? Are you kidding me? That didnt have camera flash or video recording. You do realize Samsung released the first 5mp camera phone in like 04 and it had 8gb on board memory? And took video of course. Samsung and Nokia at that time were still epic. You have no clue at all

  • Reply
  • 2012-08-03 12:36
  • q8Q8

> In reply to Anonymous @ 2012-08-02 08:58 from q8Q8 - click to readnot even close? honestly, can you name a phone model at that time w/the very first iphone's capabilities? like a very smooth touchscreen experience, fresh 2 megapixel camera, a minimalistic yet very functional ui, super fast browsing experience (at that time) and lots more.

yes, they have similarities but their ALMOST identical. if their not identical, i (and others) will never bother but too much similarity is just, well, too much. if i were a designer and i work hard to create a design then somebody copies it w/out my permission, then I'll go bullistic at that copycat. same here.

i still say this isn't really an act of desperation. again, google have noticed it and apple isn't the only one complaining this time.

plus, this court battle has been around for years now, way before samsung has it's market share today. this are just the final moves from the past. so, you can't really say that apple is desperate since this move by apple isn't really to fight the market share of samsung today but just the continuity of the past.

iphone replicas? yes, I've seen myself, many in fact. but i have also seen dozens and dozens of samsung phone replicas myself, specifically, samsung galaxy ace, galaxy y, and more. so, mind telling me why samsung doesn't care about those?

  • Reply
  • 2012-08-02 18:16
  • YTZ0

"Earlier documents also reveal that Samsung specifically requested the implementation of iOS features like the bounce effect when reaching the end of a scrolling list."
This really tells the whole story of the whole article. This feature was not an IOS feature but a feature that had been around 10 years before Apple decided to use it, as well as Samsung. All creative works are derivative. Too bad many people don't realize there were digital interfaces before Apple.

  • Reply
  • 2012-08-02 13:07
  • p@tZ

> In reply to iKnow @ 2012-08-01 18:25 from YTZA - click to readlol. as usual. point out to much truth and some how im i need to calm down lol. and not even in the least was that exaggerated. and of course missplacing points.

you just proved my point. The iphone to that time was not even close to being so new and revolutionary. Again people just believe it was. They hopped on the wagon of many companies that were already going towards a newer direction. There was even then way more capable phones.

And again you just did what everyone else does. They have similarities, but are not identical. And again Apple was not the first company to use a rectangle with rounded edges. And yes Apple is desperate because Samsung is doing exceptionally well and is now more known for their work. There are Iphone replicas, but Apple does not care for them because they are little threat to them.

  • Reply
  • 2012-08-02 08:58
  • q8Q8

> In reply to Anonymous @ 2012-07-29 07:01 from PG5b - click to readAgreed. However it's funny how they're targeting their biggest threat in the mobile world. For me the Nokia N9 is truly the most beautiful phone ever made. I didn't buy one as it doesn't make smart sense in the long run. I used to love my iPhone, however my Galaxy S2 has never let me down and I find the open feel of the Android system far more to my taste. My leap of faith was therefore all worth it. It's all horses for courses. Agree with your comment in regards to HTC etc. This is a fair comment ;-) I just know Nokia are biding their time, before unleashing something truly amazing. Time will tell.

I just think all this patent nonsense is so unnecessary, I really do...... Thanks for your reply

  • Reply
  • 2012-08-01 21:03
  • 3Jn}

> In reply to Anonymous @ 2012-07-31 23:01 from 4QSP - click to readhmm, a little bit too exagerated their mate. mind calming down?

yes, most people think that apple had reinvent the touchscreen phone but that's not their fault, wasn't it? fact is, apple created (not invent) a device that is so revolutionary, so innovative (at that time), so simple yet so functional and beautiful that just about anybody non-techy (or even) might say that they have invented the touchscreen phone. so, it's no surprise that people might think that. well, that trees-or-sidewalks part.

and apple never said they have invented the phone but you can't deny the fact that some samsung phones look awfully similar to the iphone. that's true (galaxy ace, anyone?)

and desperate? don't think so. this time, apple isn't the only complainer but even google themselves. google has noticed it and warned samsung, yet they did not listen.

so, if apple that noticed that samsung is copying their design and you'll say that apple is desperate, then doesn't that make google look desperate too?

very unlikely.

  • Reply
  • 2012-08-01 18:25
  • YTZA

In Sweden we started to use videocalling over 3G back in December 2000(ios 6 2012) using Nokias and NEC among others and mms came in 2002(ios 3, 2009) back then I had an SE T68i Don't understand this hype about iphone's and ipad's sure they look nice and have great build quality and they are easy to use even for little kids. A big dealbreaker for me is,
1 can't send bluetooth files(contacts etc.) to other phones(without JB.
2 can't use widgets.
3 must use itunes to download mp3, mp4 to the phone.
4 can't change my battery myself without breaking warranty.
5 Small screen size 3.5" isn't enough maybe the new iphone have ca 4" who knows^^ still to small for me atleast.
6 wifi,bluetooth etc.no quick settings on/off.
7 can't change launcher and with that other animations and so forth(without JB)
Are iphone's and ipad's really that great? (I had 3G,4S and the first ipad the only one I really liked was the ipad(until it got slow with ios 5) My Galaxy nexus I had felt quicker than my 4s with Jelly Bean in menus. And now I'm feeling my Galaxy S3 might be overpowered for the moment and so the Htc one x. With Jelly Bean the SGS3 is ridiculus fast:-)
But hey if you like the iphones use them but it might be an good idea to have owned an Android before you make your rant. I owned ipods iphone 3G and the 4S and an ipad but I like the openess about Android and Linux.
I might own an Apple product in the future but not as it looks like now. They need to come down to earth again, they are not allmighty..

  • Reply
  • 2012-08-01 17:55
  • m{eb

> In reply to Anonymous @ 2012-07-29 15:48 from 0Cb2 - click to readYou know that the Swedish company Neonode patented slide-to-unlock?? Guess not..

  • Reply
  • 2012-08-01 16:56
  • m{eb

> In reply to Anonymous @ 2012-07-29 10:39 from PG5b - click to readHaven't you seen that LG's looks like Samsung??

  • Reply
  • 2012-08-01 16:53
  • m{eb

i think samsung is doing very well in production of smartphones their phones are embedded with higher and advance heavenly features i feel that its totally wrong that apple is blaming samsung as samsung has his unique designs so i m not at all happy with allegations made by apple

  • Reply
  • 2012-08-01 10:06
  • vIxH

> In reply to iKnow @ 2012-07-31 18:40 from YTZA - click to read> In reply to Teomino @ 2012-07-30 15:02 from JbRn - click to readexactly. but people dont understand this. they think apple is king and invented everything. tvs, washers, cars, people, houses, phones, tables, chairs, stores, sidewalks, trees, fashion, and so much in the world all look similar. yet somehow they think apple is above. are you all grasping this? apple didnt invent the phone nor the shape they use. you all also dont realize this is desperation cause samsung is taking huge market share and maker what apple fears to be better products

  • Reply
  • 2012-07-31 23:01
  • 4QSP

> In reply to Anonymous @ 2012-07-31 08:24 from 4QSP - click to readwhat angry reply? i was explaining. and stupid? again, i was explaining and my point was clear.

by the way, apple didn't sue samsung cause they made rectangular phones w/ rounded edges. they sued samsung cause they are ALMOST EXACTLY THE SAME in appearance. some would say, "stupid apple! their just saying that!"
frankly, no. samsung's own team noticed it, even google themselves noticed it. don't act like samsung is so innocent but in fact, thay have copied apple's iphone design.

even in real life it hunts me. when i use my iphone, people will say, "ooh! nice samsung galaxy"
samsung made their phones to look almost like apple's that you can't actually tell them apart even from a short distance especially if you're not really techy.

and i've searched google. yes, i"ve seen the so-called apple's copy scheme.
yes, their present, i wont deny that but you said previously "apple is the one that copies more"
still doubt that. apple may have copied "some" features but they vastly improved it. and they dont copy designs from other companies.

  • Reply
  • 2012-07-31 18:40
  • YTZA

Note: Sponsored advertising links are in green.