News - Reader comments

Apple took 77% of the smartphone industry profits last quarter

06 August, 2012 | Read the news | Post your comment
Apple took 77% of the smartphone industry profits last quarter - read the full textThe numbers are in and once again it has been a stunning quarter for Apple. The Cupertino based company managed to reap in nearly 77 percent of the operating profits from the smartphone industry in the second fiscal quarter. These figures are amazing because Apple only contributed to 6...

 

Sort by:

truth b told, u must congrats them for making so much money cuz they r very very successful in selling overpriced smartphones, the only problem is that most buys into it bcuz there's a bitten apple at the back. cant say they r dumb cuz it's just a matter of preference, some buy reasonable priced handbags, some buys extremely overpriced handbags with a LV logo on it. cant says they r dumb, just that they prefer overpriced stuffs....

  • Reply
  • 2012-08-07 14:45
  • IV5}

> In reply to Anonymous @ 2012-08-07 14:12 from p770 - click to readThat is no real argument... BMW and Mercedes are far better than lets say Kia, but hey, they never win such prices as User Satisfaction or something like that.

It is like with Computers... Everyone has one, but most old people, cannot even use the Browser, without looking in some book before. Iphone is an App Launcher, not much you could do wrong, but also not very smart, but hey, its great for people, who cannot actually work with something like this, because it doesnt let you do anything, so it cannot break and so old people, who most likely also make reviews and complain the most, are more satisfied and so they won that price, actually I dont wonder about that. But for me, I wanna do something like on computer and for that, i dont need and dont ever want something, that does everything for me, in a way, which makes me look dumb.

  • Reply
  • 2012-08-07 14:45
  • LYbv

> In reply to Jay_Bee @ 2012-08-07 13:29 from i5BK - click to readExactly, but the most funny part is, that those Smartphones of Apple really are smart, smarter than their user ^^

  • Reply
  • 2012-08-07 14:38
  • LYbv

> In reply to XXXXX @ 2012-08-07 14:19 from P$uD - click to readOh man, it doesnt matter how many phones they created. If Apple would have created 100 phones already, it wouldnt have the effekt, that they made more money, because the one thing, has nothing to do with the other.

  • Reply
  • 2012-08-07 14:35
  • LYbv

That more a proof of, how Apple sells overpriced products and many buys them. For example Sony creates a phones, manufactures it, up until then, Sony payd like lets say 130$ and then sells the phone for max 300, more likely less. Makes a profit of max. 150$, likely less than that. Apple builds a phone and after manufacturing it has payd like 200$. They sell it, when it is new and sells the most, for like 900-1000$, depends on which size of SD Card you wanna have (which costs like 15$ extra normally, but people pay more that 150$ for such an upgrade). So Apple almost quadrupelt its money, making on one phone not max 150$, no, they make at least something like 700, when it comes out. So, others dont even double, where they make almost 4-times what they pays for manufacturing. 6% sold phones and such a high profit on one phone... If you put in all the stuff, Apple sues others for and gets its slash for each sold unit, it is no wonder, why they made such high profit, because they sell overpriced, knowing Applefanboys will pay anyway, just for the name. Just to walk around and show off, that you are cool, because you own an iPhone^^

  • Reply
  • 2012-08-07 14:33
  • LYbv

Wow some comments here!Free speech no doubt!But little to no concrete talks!Lots of Apple haters only because they are succesfull.I only bought this year my first Iphone,and guess what i was avoiding them because of their price,major mistake!Others comes cheaper,but you pay less and you get less,pound for pound Iphone is the best.I found my self in their products,regardless of how much profit they are making,i don't care about others no more.If they succeded to lure me,i'm glad for many reasons,here is one:Instead of waiting for Samsung to upgrade to latest OS(only on highends)i'm more than glad to upgrade myself to latest IOS with minimum PC knowledge!

  • Reply
  • 2012-08-07 14:24
  • 33Ga

> In reply to Jay_Bee @ 2012-08-07 13:29 from i5BK - click to readNuff said!! :)

  • Reply
  • 2012-08-07 14:20
  • mx4d

we must all rememember that apple has just Launched 5 phones will date and Look at all of the other company how many phones have been launcehed just to outbeat iphones but th truth is that apple is the best

  • Reply
  • 2012-08-07 14:19
  • P$uD

> In reply to Jay_Bee @ 2012-08-07 13:29 from i5BK - click to readLittle sales? Y need to understand that Apple only sells hi end hi price phones. Apple sold easily over 20 million phones last quarter, its very high amount of phones if you think price.

Apple sells millions and millions iPhones and iPad because people like devices which works, most of people doesnt buy name, they buy good products.

Or why iPhone won sixth time a row user satisfaction poll, when for example samsun is under industry standards.

Its useless to say people buy name when iPhone has most satisfied customers by far.

  • Reply
  • 2012-08-07 14:12
  • p770

Surprisingly, Apple is winning because it is actually managing to outprice it's rivals. It's MacBook Air and iPad are actually very competitively priced against similarly specced rivals. Even the iPhone is normally priced for a high end phone from Android rivals. The illusion of a premium price may be due to rivals having lower end products, which Apple does not really produce.

  • Reply
  • 2012-08-07 14:08
  • TSPG

This 77% is accounted for by Apple having profit margins waaaaaayyyyyy above any other mobile phone manufacturer and of course not on actual numbers of handsets sold.Because as far as I'm aware they are the only company to outsource ALL their manufacturing so they can concentrate on what matters to them the most,namely marketing,design and the operating system.Their profits are higher because they use slave labour on less then minimum wage to make their equipment whereas the majority of others have the expense of having them made in their own factories most of the time,and at a lower profit margin as well.

  • Reply
  • 2012-08-07 14:07
  • 3GCn

> In reply to Anonymous @ 2012-08-07 13:30 from SY0n - click to readWell if you think overpaying for an Iphone is a good thing then go ahead.
Also why are you defending an enormous corporation for being successful. Personally I couldn't care less if any of the worlds big firms succeed of fail. People who buy a product out of a weird worship mentality, have lost the plot. They are the people companies love to have, otherwise known as chumps. They cultivate a "brand loyalty" and hook certain people into following their cult. Apple are incredibly good at it. Personally I think their products are style over substance and double the price. But lots of people have plenty of spare cash it seems and instead of giving it to charity give offerings to the apple deity.

  • Reply
  • 2012-08-07 13:58
  • nUaS

Guys very simple,if you can't accept the success of Apple, then just shut up. Apple did not force us (like me) to buy their products. It is me who wants to buy their products like what I did with Sony as well. If you are happy with your Sumsung, HTC, Nokia then be happy. Why hate Apple just because they are successful or because they are No. 1 (that's plain and simple crab mentality). Like me, I don't like Samsung or Nokia then I don't buy them - simple!!!!

  • Reply
  • 2012-08-07 13:30
  • SY0n

Sad thing is, the reason Apple can make so much profit of such little sales is because there are so many people willing to pay for nothing more than a name.

  • Reply
  • 2012-08-07 13:29
  • i5BK

> In reply to [deleted post]You're becoming soft on your comments...Anything else?Concrete!?

  • Reply
  • 2012-08-07 13:26
  • mARU

> In reply to Anonymous @ 2012-08-07 12:56 from q{pE - click to readCheap you say? Look at the Materials used by samsung. My galaxy note scratched easily and the gorilla glass is not true. Compared it to my blackberry and iphone no scratches at all eventhough no screen protector was used.

  • Reply
  • 2012-08-07 13:22
  • K7gP

Steve jobs sure knew how to make people believe that their phones can do stuff tat the others cannot. lol.

  • Reply
  • 2012-08-07 13:19
  • vIhx

> In reply to Anonymous @ 2012-08-07 13:05 from xZvy - click to readYes it tells that apple only make hi end devices, while others sells those cheap phones too, which doesnt make much profit but make nice overall marketshare.

  • Reply
  • 2012-08-07 13:12
  • p770

Apple is worth every penny!
Still waiting for others to make phones with their own OS.
BTW...still waiting for others to come with good materials,aren't you tired of cheap plastics?😃
Allmost forgot...do you still count pixels on your Amoleds?😃
Stick with yours,i'm all Apple!

  • Reply
  • 2012-08-07 13:10
  • mARU

> In reply to jay @ 2012-08-07 12:29 from t7Xk - click to readoverpriced of course...

  • Reply
  • 2012-08-07 13:08
  • vIhx

Note: Sponsored advertising links are in green.