News - Reader comments

iOS on the rise in the US, Android continues European conquest

31 October, 2012 | Read the news | Post your comment
iOS on the rise in the US, Android continues European conquest - read the full textNo one doubted that the iPhone 5 launch will be big, but it turned out so big that it slowed the growth of Android in the US and the UK, according to Kantar World Panel. The rest of the EU5 (France, Germany, Italy and Spain) saw just the opposite - Android's share went up, iOS went down. It...

 

Sort by:

> In reply to Anonymous @ 2012-11-01 14:28 from m77L - click to readFYI rooting nowadays takes jst a minute wth One Click rooting s'wares! Not sure how long jailbreaking (nice appropriate term by d way) an iPhone takes! D fact is neither Android, iOS or WinP r perfect n all of em hav many miles 2 go b4 they can deliver their optimal best n each 1 has it's pros n cons n in their present iterations leaves a lot 2 b desired! I guess Android has more mass apeal cos it's open source is available in devices ranging frm sub $ 100-$ 1000 range n jst offers relatively more freedom compared 2 d other options! 4 d avrg. Joe, THAT is d biggest USP! Apple only makes products 4 d uber rich, Android is 4 every1 n that's y its more popular! Simple!

  • Reply
  • 2012-11-01 14:41
  • vwwA

> In reply to maya @ 2012-11-01 13:13 from t7Xi - click to readYou're a typical fanboy. I bet you say Android is best because it can do more things. Well how many of those extra features (that is dependant on which phone you buy, Android fans all seem to have a top end phone for some reason) do you actually use?

Most people who buy smartphones nowadays do these four things before everything else. Calls, Texts, Social Networking and web browsing.
iPhone does these very well. Innovation doesn't always mean best.
A faster processor, bigger screen and bigger battery isn't innovation. Yet Fandroids say that it is with the S3, but not with the iPhone 5??
Customisation is up to the user. Most people don't want to spend hours rooting, or looking for themes to change the look of their device that they clearly are not happy with to begin with. Wallpapers and Ringtones are enough for most.

Look at what the average joe on street wants out of a phone, and you will see why people buy iPhone.

  • Reply
  • 2012-11-01 14:28
  • m77L

> In reply to Anonymous @ 2012-11-01 11:14 from vaNH - click to readYou say my post is stupid when your dumb comments indicate that there is no alternative to iOS or Android? There's something called WP7 and 8 out there you know, or you could buy a dumbphone?

What's that? Outdated technology? Well it must be about the hardware then.

  • Reply
  • 2012-11-01 14:20
  • m77L

American are smart - use Android, iOS, windows 8, all Amercian products. Can the world live without these 3 OS?

  • Reply
  • 2012-11-01 14:07
  • uH$d

Do you know that both Android and iOS are America products? Even Windows Phone 8 OS are Amercian product.

  • Reply
  • 2012-11-01 14:03
  • uH$d

Statistic don't lie.... iOS share has definitely increased after iPhone launch.. Yes, its easy to buy iPhone with contract and hence its cheaper with majority of buyers in US... but iPhone has its enriched history that made it popular few years back even before iPhone was launched and now huge fan base, so most of the sales that we see today is mainly because of its popularity rather than features.
I don't hate iPhone; I just don't prefer to buy it because of its monopoly attitude and narrowed accessories and also unusual high price tag for them.
With Android and WP I believe you get lots of options, feature that you want, with accessories and all... I am currently using android and I won't hesitate to try something new if its worth it.

Thanks.

  • Reply
  • 2012-11-01 13:17
  • YHi9

Iphone5 has nothing really to offer. Its not xcting anymore after steve jobs. No innovations at all. Just look at the ios6 updated. All messed up. Thats why android rule as of the moment. As for windows, all i can say is symbian still ahead of u.

  • Reply
  • 2012-11-01 13:13
  • t7Xi

> In reply to Anonymous @ 2012-11-01 11:22 from vaNH - click to readPeople buy on a 24 month contract because that is how the market is. Whether its an Android of iPhone. It just says that if the price is equal more people will choose an iPhone. No need to get upset and start insulting people you consider poorer than you. Now that is the epitome of arrogance. Just because you think you make more money than others doesn't give you the right to belittle other hardworking people who most likely have more on their mind that what cell phone to use. You must get alot of joy out of calling everyone who disagrees with your phone choice a poor, uneducated, ghetto-living person. I'd rather be around those people than someone as arrogant and conceited as you who looks down his nose at others so much. The fact of the matter is that, most of the people talking about the iPhone as a status symbol are Android fanboys. Most likely because they use their own phones as a status symbol.

btw, I'm not even going to get into your comment about having to spend hundreds of dollars on apps if you own an iPhone. You just made too many silly comments to respond to them all.

  • Reply
  • 2012-11-01 13:09
  • mc6Y

> In reply to Anonymous @ 2012-11-01 10:12 from StUx - click to readYou are wrong. Those who replied to you before me are correct to show you why you are wrong. But they missed another very important factor.

When people buy a phone, they first choose whether they want an iPhone or Samsung/HTC/LG/Sony/Android in general or Nokia/Windows Phone in general. If they choose an iPhone, they are stuck with the only offer Apple has to offer (because the old phones are too weak and old or the new ones are too expensive, hence a single choise). If they choose any of the other, e.g. Samsung, they then have more choises, they choose which ever suits them most. Either way, they leave with ONE phone and not ALL of Samsung's "SGSIII clones" (even though, the Premier is NOT a "clone" of SGSIII, it's very similar to Galaxy Nexus, just improved and with the latest UI). So the fact that Apple makes one phone a year while Samsung (and others) make several phones a year, doesn't change the facy that a regular person buys ONE phone at a time. It does NOT affect the shares!

  • Reply
  • 2012-11-01 12:13
  • p33M

> In reply to Anonymous @ 2012-11-01 11:22 from vaNH - click to readHummm I think most people choose a mobile phone for what they need rather than impressing others, my better half has an iPhone coz she loves the iTunes store and its an easy to use device, I on the other had have an android device witch I can say there's nothing really much I like on it, most of the apps are crap and want too many permissions and since downloading some apps I get loads of spam texts. I think I'll try the wp8 next I like the look of there phones and there OS not because everyone has one.

  • Reply
  • 2012-11-01 12:11
  • 9BQZ

> In reply to Anonymous @ 2012-11-01 10:12 from StUx - click to readI really don't think so, Apple has not much to offer. Android is the OS of the future

  • Reply
  • 2012-11-01 11:24
  • N9@S

> In reply to Anonymous @ 2012-11-01 03:30 from IaHY - click to readIn a recession they would buy iphone5, its so chedap on a 24 month lock in contract. Admit it, thats what americans do, more iphone users buy phones cheap on contract than those buying high end droids. Just goes a long way to prove that "uneducated" people jump on the iphone hype wave and get a phone they cannot afford to impress other poor people, then soon after the whole ghetto have iphone5 on 24 month contracts.

Statistics dont lie, iphones are bought mostly on contract, you tell us why iphone users cannot afford to cash out their phones?

  • Reply
  • 2012-11-01 11:22
  • vaNH

> In reply to Anonymous @ 2012-11-01 10:12 from StUx - click to readWhat an utterly stupid post. Most of us dont choose Android because of the hardware, but because its the only alternative.

Seriously, do you think i would have bought a Note II from Apple, a Note II running iOS? No way, i use android because its the best, not only because its the best phones, theres no way i could have accepted the restrictions and arrogance iOS imposes on their users, I AM THE ONE TO CONTROL MY PHONE, not Apple, plus i am not willing to pay for every little app or game i install or my wife or daughter install, that would cost hundreds of dollars a year.

Its the whole Apple/iOS thing that is the problem, unacceptable in every way.

  • Reply
  • 2012-11-01 11:14
  • vaNH

> In reply to Anonymous @ 2012-11-01 10:23 from PG5Y - click to readI think you are right. All this talk of WP8 targeting iOS is strange when the biggest rival is Android. I think we're going to see another Google vs Microsoft battle.

  • Reply
  • 2012-11-01 10:54
  • StUx

I think iOS will grow, or remain stable, WP8 will go up, Android down as a result.

  • Reply
  • 2012-11-01 10:23
  • PG5Y

Android only has a high share because its out on a billion Devices. Look at Samsung releasing yet another Sgs3 clone, the premier.. It's saturating the market with phones.

If Apple released as many smartphones Android would be dead. Never mind though because WP8 is coming and will destroy Androids market share.

  • Reply
  • 2012-11-01 10:12
  • StUx

> In reply to M@i20 @ 2012-11-01 07:50 from N9@y - click to readYa well despite all of Apple's dirty trix n dirtier lawsuits, Android is still King even in the US where there r ac2ly more ppl who prefer the right to freedom than being tied up by greedy monopolists! Oh talk abt charity n philanthropy? Steve Jobs ac2ly purposefully shut down what little charitable work Apple ever did some years back! Compare that 2 Gates, who devotes most of his time these days with the Bill n Melinda Gates Foundation which does a lot of constructive charity work worldwide 4 poor folks! Apple is for the rich, by the rich n of the rich!

  • Reply
  • 2012-11-01 08:57
  • vwq%

I think the holiday seasons will be interesting to see iOS, Nokia, android sales. And after the holiday season, which OS increase and decrease in market share.

I believe a lot of people are waiting to buy new Note 2, iPhone 5, Lumia, etc, during the holiday season!

  • Reply
  • 2012-11-01 08:09
  • IaHY

I think it is still early to see the effect of iPhone 5 as it only launched not even 2 month.

  • Reply
  • 2012-11-01 08:05
  • IaHY

Looking at the bigger picture and getting a clearer perspective.. As at June 2012 Globally - Android had 64.1% total sales and Apple had 18.1% all the others combined share the 17.8% left over. (A year ago Android was on 43.4% and In 2009 android was on just 3.9% global sales) No wonder Apple is using every dirty trick in the book to kill off Android and everyone else. Apple already have both feet in the grave and yet they keep on digging. Exclude America’s affluent brainwashed public and really what have Apple got? Makes you think doesn’t it… I wonder if they will use any of their billions of $$ they constantly brag about to help any of those poor people devastated by Super storm Sandy?? I doubt it they are far to greedy for that and too damn busy using the $$ to sue people..

  • Reply
  • 2012-11-01 07:50
  • N9@y

Note: Sponsored advertising links are in green.