News - Reader comments

Amazon offers discount off AT&T Lumia 920, 820 and HTC 8X

19 November, 2012 | Read the news | Post your comment
Amazon offers discount off AT&T Lumia 920, 820 and HTC 8X - read the full text Amazon US just put up some great deals for three of the new Windows Phone 8-powered smartphones in the states. You can get the AT&Ts Nokia Lumia 920, Nokia Lumia 820 or HTC Windows Phone 8X at half their original asking price. AT&T is charging $99.99 for the Lumia 920 on a 2-year contract,...

 

Sort by:

> In reply to Anonymous @ 2012-11-21 06:25 from uREv - click to readThis is Windows Phone 8, not Windows 8

  • Reply
  • 2012-11-21 08:36
  • kg3U

why the hell nokia is so slow in selling this beautiful phone..because of this delay i settled for Samsung Galaxy S 3 and I didn't regret it is amazing phone except for loading YouTube too laggy, my nokia 610 performed faster than S3.

  • Reply
  • 2012-11-21 08:07
  • thHb

> In reply to Anonymous @ 2012-11-21 02:23 from kg3U - click to readWindows 8 using ARM processors vs Windows 8 pro using x86 processors provide virtually different user experience.

For once, x86 only programs does not run on windows 8 arm, not because windows 8 don allow.. but is simply cannot. Don expect a full blown win office on a arm processor.

This will lead to consumer confusion. Indeed windows 8 is a very confusing product..

  • Reply
  • 2012-11-21 06:25
  • uREv

I really wish Verizon was going to carry the Lumia 920. Really want it! But not willing to pay extra to end 2 year contract to get it.

  • Reply
  • 2012-11-21 05:11
  • GYBW

"Windows Phone 8, is the most ADVANCED phone OS technology in history. (It is technically the most advanced piece of software ever written, as it is just an ARM port of Windows NT with a different UI platform on top.

It is the same core OS technology running massive server farms, and desktop PCs. Only the UI platform is changed, and technically the majority of the complete Windows desktop frameworks are still available.

In contrast:
iOS is a recreated mobile version of XNU that has similar functions as OS X, it is a lot like the WinCE compared to WindowsNT.
Android is the Dalvik JVM running on a limited use Linux kernel (Most of the kernel functions are generically wrapped, as Dalvik handles them. Which is slow on top of unoptimized slow on top of limited functionality.)

Windows Phones 8 is the full version of Windows NT, they could literally run the Windows RT desktop on it if Microsoft would allow it, but don't because of the complexity of the UI that doesn't work for novice users on a phone.

Importantly, it is truly the full OS technology, it is not a recreated mobile version, nor a model with constrained kernel features.)

OS X and Linux on the desktop are technically behind the WP8 OS technology. Which should both be a bit 'shocking' and a surprisingly cool to anyone especially if they dabble in OS engineering."

  • Reply
  • 2012-11-21 02:23
  • kg3U

> In reply to JackTheRipper @ 2012-11-19 18:57 from fq6U - click to readSeriously,did you even think before you commented on the post?If im not mistaken foxcon supplied and built the iphone5 for apple which is one of the most expensive phones out there so that means your argument is invalid.

  • Reply
  • 2012-11-20 12:56
  • 9Lax

> In reply to LOYAL ANDROID FANBOY @ 2012-11-19 19:50 from 7qBy - click to readHahaha that HTC DNA phone it is a shame for android! ... i rather get nokia 920!! it has twice its storage. and most likely last longer.

  • Reply
  • 2012-11-20 09:42
  • uREv

> In reply to LOYAL ANDROID FANBOY @ 2012-11-19 19:50 from 7qBy - click to readYou haven't even seen 920 screen and you already say opinion about that. HTC screen is also good, because it's Android after all. XD

  • Reply
  • 2012-11-19 21:44
  • mInZ

...and lacks some basic stuff like fm radio, system wide file manager and so on? Nokia HW is really good (except for the cpu/gpu), but os is (censored)

  • Reply
  • 2012-11-19 21:35
  • msWH

> In reply to LOYAL ANDROID FANBOY @ 2012-11-19 19:50 from 7qBy - click to readAnd how is that better than screen on the Lumia 920 with the fastest screen on smartphone, the best for viewing in direct sunlight, and super sensitive touch?

  • Reply
  • 2012-11-19 20:29
  • kg3U

> In reply to JackTheRipper @ 2012-11-19 18:57 from fq6U - click to readA good way to figure out if a phone is cheap or not is to look at the BOM. What's the BOM on the GS3 again? BTW, Samsung, Motorola and Sony are all customers of Foxconn.

  • Reply
  • 2012-11-19 20:00
  • xbRv
  • LOYAL ANDROID FANBOY
  • Report
  • Rating0

> In reply to [deleted post]If you wanna see the real IPS technology ,Go and check HTC's super IPS LCD 3 screen then kick your lumia screen to a trash can

  • Reply
  • 2012-11-19 19:50
  • 7qBy

Tell me which Android has fastest LCD screen (PureMotion HD+), best at viewing in direct sunlight (ClearBlack), Super Sensitive touchscreen that works with gloves, 3 high amplitude microphones (HAAC Rich Recording), built-in wireless charging, next generation high-power Dual-LED flash, OIS or Optical Image Stabilization, and Dolby Headphone with state-of-the-art digital processing technology that are in the Lumia 920.

  • Reply
  • 2012-11-19 19:38
  • kg3U

Nokia and windows phone are made for each other,Listen Android honeymoon time is over,
Now its time for WP 8

  • Reply
  • 2012-11-19 19:25
  • t1$J

> In reply to JackTheRipper @ 2012-11-19 18:57 from fq6U - click to readIf you want expensive phone you can buy an iPhone 5, they made them from Foxconn. Lumia 920 is heavily subsidized by AT&T. Do you not understand that? You can buy an unlocked Lumia 920 for $700, you don't have to buy it for $450 from AT&T.

  • Reply
  • 2012-11-19 19:11
  • kg3U

Funny to see comments like... they are doing this only because the phone is not selling... fact is that it is selling very well on amazon... just check amazons best selling phones and you find all colour versions of Lumina 920 somewhere among the best sellers and this is huge considering that its exclusive to att

  • Reply
  • 2012-11-19 18:59
  • Jx8}

> In reply to musarator @ 2012-11-19 17:56 from d@bf - click to readNo its so cheap only 450$
http://www.gsmarena.com/at_t_t...ews-5051.php
I hate cheap phones so much because they have cheap materials from Foxccon and Compal Like Nokia.
http://wmpoweruser.com/nokia-p...oxconn-also/

750$ is for great quality phones like S3 One X+ Note II Sony TL Motorola HD RaZoR MaXX ...etc

  • Reply
  • 2012-11-19 18:57
  • fq6U

> In reply to JackTheRipper @ 2012-11-19 16:56 from fq6U - click to readif you don't like discounts you can always buy the global version at about 700 US dollars...

  • Reply
  • 2012-11-19 17:56
  • d@bf

> In reply to JackTheRipper @ 2012-11-19 16:56 from fq6U - click to readIt's cheap because AT&T bought a 6 months exclusive on this device. This thing should be at least $200 on 2 years contracts. It's a premium phone. It has all the innovative technologies in it.

Try this on your phone and see how well it does. (Torture test)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?f...=yDEahsoa_N4

  • Reply
  • 2012-11-19 17:48
  • kg3U

Note: Sponsored advertising links are in green.