News - Reader comments

Samsung to show an 8-core big.LITTLE chipset next year

20 November, 2012 | Read the news | Post your comment
Samsung to show an 8-core big.LITTLE chipset next year - read the full textSamsung is rumored to put a quad Cortex-A15 CPU inside the Galaxy S IV with the Exynos 5450 chipset, but EETimes is reporting that the Korean company has a more interesting chipset in the works - the first one to use ARM's big.LITTLE technology. This tech pairs a number of powerful Cortex-A15...

 

Sort by:

Ha ha, see no matter what you say, the software side of it will never be optimized. And it'll end up running all 8 cores, though maybe the 4 "other" cores will run at lower power consumption. But some consumption anyways. And don't tell me I don't understand. Because I design softwares for a living. Mostly on windows based systems. To create a link between hardware and software. And I know it will never be fully optimized. If the other 4 cores are shut off completely, at the start of an HD game, the device is going to crash. Kind of a blue screen on the green devil. Because the GPU on those chips won't be able to flush all their data so quickly without resetting.

  • Reply
  • 2012-11-20 18:37
  • vbx2

Hopefully, this is actually for S IV and not for a bigger Note III

  • Reply
  • 2012-11-20 18:32
  • XNtq

> In reply to JackTheRipper @ 2012-11-20 18:15 from fsg7 - click to readHi Jack, I acknowledge what you've written! The newer cores and process node shrinks produce almost linearly (and in some cases exponentially) commensurate power efficiency, compared to older and higher process nodes and thus quad cores>dual cores>single cores. However, big.Little architecture is a heterogeneous model which gives you the best of both worlds in terms of power and power efficiency and is thus more efficient than a conventional multi core architecture! Samsung Exynos chips have been ever increasingly delivering performance and power gains with each passing generation and the trend is likely to accelerate even further when they produce chips incorporating the newer ARM big.Little v8 architecture!

  • Reply
  • 2012-11-20 18:29
  • vwq%

> In reply to Killer Droid @ 2012-11-20 18:23 from QGtq - click to readOh I read that. And understood it. But do you really believe all that random crapolo said up over there? You know, no matter how good you say that "technologie" is, it's definitely end up drinking battery juice thrice a day!

  • Reply
  • 2012-11-20 18:28
  • vbx2

> In reply to JackTheRipper @ 2012-11-20 18:15 from fsg7 - click to readActually the whole reason Samsung is increasing the clock speed on its newer Exynos is because the low architecture build are more efficient (produce lesser heat).

Which is all the same reason why the newer Intel processor has been clocked at lower frequency .

  • Reply
  • 2012-11-20 18:27
  • Rx90

> In reply to SabbyJ @ 2012-11-20 18:17 from vbx2 - click to readI think that you did not read the article or understant it. You need to understant the technologie on this.

  • Reply
  • 2012-11-20 18:23
  • QGtq

here we go again!!! 2 cores - 4 cores - now 8 cores yet our phone ain't advanced beyond making calls, texting, watching video clips and playing games. when would those 'powerful' multi-cores support an intelligent AI that can converse intelligently? when that happens then all these multi-cores would be worth it.

  • Reply
  • 2012-11-20 18:22
  • ftKb

> In reply to Anonymous @ 2012-11-20 17:07 from M3s@ - click to readI agree 100% and you seem to be the only logical thinker on the first page.

I'm just waiting to laugh at all the now Samsung faboys that are going to be pissed off that their beloved Samsung device ONLY has Quad Core once the Octo Core comes out. Quad core is useless as of now and Octo Core will be even more useless.

Heck, put in a 16 Core and it's still useless if your phone only lasts 3 hours LOL Yea I know they can optimize battery life SOME by assigning certain cores to handle only Battery processes but that won't be a major battery save like Motorola has done with the MaXX. That battery should be the new standard for all phones but you know, illogical fanboys want more useless stuff that the companies make them think is actually useful which drives up the price for stuff they aren't even using. LOL

Oh, I almost forgot, here comes the "Well it'll keep my device future proofed" fanboys. And to that, I say, for one, your device will NEVER be future proofed. That thinking goes against the Advancement of Technology. And the main thing is, ESPECIALLY WITH ANDROID, You honestly believe your phone will be able to get the update that actually could possibly utilize 8 cores? You're dreaming. Android phones at most only update for 2 years. By then, they'll be at 16 core and you'll be looking at your phone like "why does my device ONLY have Octo Core". LOL

Fanboys are insatiable and I just can't stop laughing at how ridiculous they are.

Battery Life is the MAIN component that severely needs to be updated.

  • Reply
  • 2012-11-20 18:20
  • jxxN

Thnx GSM Arena for posting this exciting news on your blog! I'm a major advocate of big.Little architecture and have been following and contributing to it's development since it's inception! This augurs real well for our smart devices in the coming years!

  • Reply
  • 2012-11-20 18:18
  • vwq%

Another more core for instagram ??

  • Reply
  • 2012-11-20 18:18
  • bJbn

All that power just to run what? angry bird?
Now it's officially ridiculous.

  • Reply
  • 2012-11-20 18:17
  • Rx90

Why 8-core? please stop with all this madness! Even 4-cores are overkill in mobile devices. And they bloody make an 8-core. Instead spend that money on optimizing the OS and the software you use. You'll end up saving millions on hardware research and deployment and the battery life doesn't suck.

  • Reply
  • 2012-11-20 18:17
  • vbx2

> In reply to glennthera @ 2012-11-20 18:04 from vwq% - click to readDid you see how S2 (Dual core 1.2 GHZ Larger display + 1650 mAh) has better battery life than SL (Single 1 GHZ Smaller display + 1650 mAh)?

And S3 international Quad core Exynos has better battery life than S3 US Dual core Qualcomm Krait... Both have 2100 mAh.

Those new Exynos CPU are battery savers.

  • Reply
  • 2012-11-20 18:15
  • fsg7

I have the Us S3 t-mobile version since lauch. I am so happy with it. Best phone that i ever had. I though that I would be abal to keep my S3 for 2 year at least. I was planing to sik the S4. But after reading this article. Am like WTF. I will give my S3 to my sister and buy S4 on day 1. Samsung i have one word for you (WOW). You are the best indeed. Nokia and Apple you can take that to the bank. Samsung FTW!!!!!

  • Reply
  • 2012-11-20 18:10
  • QGtq

Well, if it's a quad core A15 chip, even a 3300 mAh battery might not be sufficient. However, if it's a big.Little part, even a 2500 mAh tank could give enough juice to last a good day and half on moderate to heavy usage or more! big.Little chips are optimized to minimize power drain. Also, a new battery startup company is prepping new power amps which could further cut battery drain by another whopping 65%. Add to that the fact that ARM's already announced 64-bit capable Cortex A57-A53 big.Little configs for 2014 and we are looking at a very bright future for smartphones n tabs indeed! On a footnote, I really hope that the Cortex A15-A7 pairing is the chip used in the Galaxy S4, a pure A15 quad part would be much more power hungry than a quad A9 chip!

  • Reply
  • 2012-11-20 18:04
  • vwq%

Samsung, i would like these chips in a 11.6 inch tab please

  • Reply
  • 2012-11-20 18:03
  • kSa2

well it seems like next year will be tough for other companies .....

  • Reply
  • 2012-11-20 18:00
  • 258j

With great power comes great responsibility.

  • Reply
  • 2012-11-20 17:46
  • IV%v

> In reply to Anonymous @ 2012-11-20 17:34 from MZ52 - click to readLolzz..good one mate! That indeed will be one helluva day when we will be able to play Crysis on a portable handset!... Though Nova3 still stand pretty good for what it is at the moment and playing it on S3 is such an uplifting experience! Cheers to good times ahead :)

  • Reply
  • 2012-11-20 17:44
  • Q18Z

Ok... and all this for what exactly?

  • Reply
  • 2012-11-20 17:44
  • P0hw

Note: Sponsored advertising links are in green.