News - Reader comments

Jolla Sailfish OS detailed, demoed on video

21 November, 2012 | Read the news | Post your comment
Jolla Sailfish OS detailed, demoed on video - read the full textThe guys from Jolla held an official launch event for their Sailfish mobile OS and showcased the platform to the general public. The company has already signed deals with ST-Ericsson for the chipsets that will power its future smartphones, and with the Finnish carrier DNA, who will be offering...

 

Sort by:

> In reply to MeeGo Takeover @ 2012-11-21 17:17 from jxxN - click to readFinally meego child's day has come like a similiar proverb says "every ____has a day ":p

  • Reply
  • 2012-11-21 22:48
  • Xukh

> In reply to [deleted post]yeah google never gave you anyhting other than a whole life for meego by its freedom and open nature! without android apps jolla is nothing special! loL! who cares making apps for jolla , a limited regional company!android is its life! by the way about graphics you are really a 60 years old one , everybody now loves only apps in the os! adult or kid this does not matters! btw when you do not know what others are giving you in an os andjust bashing them for nothing , then you need very quickly a psyc!

  • Reply
  • 2012-11-21 22:38
  • MDVw

Must say I'm kind of dissapointed.I was expecting something... more. Ambient feature is nice but kinda gimmicky. MeeGo aesthetics on N9 impressed much more and looked better.

To compete they must keep the price low and that means inferior hardware. I personally dont care to compromise.

Looking foward for more updates and positive news.

  • Reply
  • 2012-11-21 22:22
  • pI@Y

> In reply to MeeGo Takeover @ 2012-11-21 18:46 from jxxN - click to readfrom sailfish os wiki page

"it is also not open source in parts which are copyrighted by Jolla or other parties"

  • Reply
  • 2012-11-21 22:10
  • nx}5

> In reply to Zao @ 2012-11-21 21:40 from 0ZJM - click to readwhich symbian , the one that cannot even run complex graphics , the worst browsers ?!! B playbook , jolla and all others are using android apps ! why?? the best source of apps and freedom! symbian is open source but no one already used symbian apps in a different os because they are less than acceptable! secondly do you know that linux ( full linux) is very laggy and buggy! N900 and n9 were nothing even not 1%!! symbian belle also got a lot of features from android to be at least good but failed!my point of view is that google shouldn;t any more give android apps to people like you who use everything from others and bashing them! google is very good with you rather than the evil apple and microsoft , but they should patent everything after that!!

  • Reply
  • 2012-11-21 21:53
  • MDVw

You're kidding, right? That's the kind of comment I'd expect from someone who's never used an N900 or an N9. MeeGo is far superior to Android, and Jolla have done a great job evolving the os. Android is at least two years behind

  • Reply
  • 2012-11-21 21:45
  • 39x{

> In reply to Anonymous @ 2012-11-21 21:33 from MDVw - click to readEven if thinking by your point of view, then again you seem wrong. Not Android, but Symbian would be the soul of mobile soft systems. Android is just an evolved Symbian.

  • Reply
  • 2012-11-21 21:40
  • 0ZJM

Android fans will love Meego for sure. Because it'll have what android has and maybe more. I'm not an android fan and not sure if i will like it as much as wp, but who knows. The more, the better.

  • Reply
  • 2012-11-21 21:35
  • 0ZJM

> In reply to MeeGo Takeover @ 2012-11-21 20:21 from RbXH - click to readwhy am i mad!! because you are benefiting from android without even saying thanks! just trollinG! but android is the soul of every technology! lol! meego troll ! meego takeover is a dream! meego will only run android apps! so if it will get 1% of market share it is thanks to google and to its open source nature!

  • Reply
  • 2012-11-21 21:33
  • MDVw

> In reply to Anonymous @ 2012-11-21 19:26 from MDVw - click to readLOL U mad bro? Mad that an OS has come along that can actually rival your precious?

LOL

  • Reply
  • 2012-11-21 20:21
  • RbXH

The UI is certainly beautiful, but at the expense of usability. It relies too heavily on hidden features that are not discoverable to the common user.

It's the kind of system that anyone that is not familiar with will stare at the screen trying to figure out what to do. Wait 5 minutes and then give up.

There's a reason why iOS looks "plain" and "old", as well as Android. It's because it's all based on decades old studies and refinement, countless resources spent on research and usage trials.

Everything is hidden in this system. Complete fail unless they do some radical changes. Looks like some engineers wanted to impress their bosses much more than create something useful for humans.

  • Reply
  • 2012-11-21 19:35
  • 8U2N

I wonder why Android fans are skeptical about the success of Sailfish already. Sailfish has some time before it is available. It is difficult to comment right now if it will better Android. I am a diehard Android fan myself. But, I will shift my loyalty if there is any OS that betters it. In fact a direct rival to Android like sailfish is healthy as it will inspire Google to do something else to continue its dominance (Which I guess they should already be working on)

  • Reply
  • 2012-11-21 19:33
  • XNtq

> In reply to MeeGo Takeover @ 2012-11-21 18:46 from jxxN - click to readjolla is open but cannot reach android level of openess! by the way mr meego troll you should thank android for its apps

  • Reply
  • 2012-11-21 19:26
  • MDVw

Ugh jolla sounds like sh*t!

  • Reply
  • 2012-11-21 19:19
  • v0Xt

I like the way things are shaping up. Android apps compatibility, powerful UI.

  • Reply
  • 2012-11-21 19:01
  • LaK$

Like the UI part....
http://jollatides.com/2012/11/...-on-preview/

  • Reply
  • 2012-11-21 18:49
  • DCH1

> In reply to Thephonegeek @ 2012-11-21 18:07 from uNVL - click to readI just searched every Jolla MeeGo Sailfish Wikipedia page and can't find any that say it's closed source.

Do you have a link to the one you read?

  • Reply
  • 2012-11-21 18:46
  • jxxN

the UI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?f...=_c_BqnR_vAM

  • Reply
  • 2012-11-21 18:29
  • HxcR

Will have to wait to see if there are obligations to its capabilities like Hardware requirements, battery life performance Etc.

  • Reply
  • 2012-11-21 18:29
  • XNtq

brilliant brilliant brilliant. There are so many people who want this.

  • Reply
  • 2012-11-21 18:13
  • 3p8v

Note: Sponsored advertising links are in green.