News - Reader comments

Apple found to infringe MobileMedia patents in US

14 December, 2012 | Read the news | Post your comment
Apple found to infringe MobileMedia patents in US - read the full textApple lost a weeklong patent infringement case brought by a patent-licensing company MobileMedia Ideas LLC, a company in which Nokia, Sony and MPEG LA own about a 10% stake. It took the jury just four hours of deliberation to find that the iPhone 5 was in violation of three of the patents...

 

Sort by:

> In reply to kirk544 @ 2012-12-19 10:52 from 9xBW - click to readApparently even neighboring SEA countries have this phenomenon, some are eager in paying 2 to 3 times the original cost of the iPhone!

One thing I agree with Guyman, it's not SUPPOSE to be that expensive. It's a simplified smartphone for the many. It doesn't have the complication of transferring files directly (although iTunes makes it complicated!). You need to buy media from the App Market for what seemingly is a small amount to people who are ok to spend US$3 for a TV episode. The real truth is, it's a consumer device designed to make purchases easy. The credit card number is keyed in once, and every purchase is automated.

Now, I don't get it for some people who buy an iPhone 5 for $1500 who don't purchase online and slides in a prepaid SIM card. Sure, they get the free apps and surf the net only with wifi available. It's illogical because they would just handle iPhones as bejeweled accessories and communicate with SMS most of the time. Mind you, most of them are iP4S users for the sake of getting a 5th row of icons and can say it has a dual core processor. But what does it do different from the 4S? Nothing much. They are better off with a Blackberry with affordable unlimited messaging prepaid payment.

You could do loads more with a medium ranged Android phone. Watch content that you have collected without the pesky iTunes. Download tons directly and while you do other stuff at the same time. And ANY of Apple's devices CAN'T do these very simple functions because the iPhone was designed for the first world masses that can afford $1 to $5 purchases at a time.

  • Reply
  • 2012-12-19 13:06
  • v0qx

> In reply to TheNeighbor @ 2012-12-19 05:38 from v0qx - click to readyeah.guyman, we were mostly talking about our country. can't really add some asian countries bcoz i am not sure of their culture. but here in ph, the neighbour is right. it doesn't even have to be an iphone. as long as it gives some sort of "status symbol", stupid people buy it here. but in any case, buying something either expensive or not, shd not be done to gain prestige or status symbol. and it angers me most if someone outspokenly says they are above others bcoz they have a prestige phone. it is idiotic.

  • Reply
  • 2012-12-19 10:52
  • 9xBW

> In reply to Guyman @ 2012-12-19 05:26 from vxdh - click to readAgain, the reality is, the iP5 is the most expensive smartphone in most non-first world countries. Do your research.

  • Reply
  • 2012-12-19 05:38
  • v0qx

Again, iPhones are not, repeat not, the most expensive on the market. Here in Australia you pay maybe $2 less on a plan every month for a GS3, same price for a GS3 4G and $3 more for a Note II and that's with the cheapest company in Australia.

There is no "prestige" in buying or owning and iPhone, people buy them because they like them and the features offered suit their needs. As I said earlier I spend my days selling handsets and in no way prefer any brand over the other, that decision comes down to my customers. Feel however you like about Apple but don't condescend the people who genuinely like their products by making them out to be pompous.

  • Reply
  • 2012-12-19 05:26
  • vxdh

> In reply to Guyman @ 2012-12-18 12:13 from vxdh - click to readSorry, it is not the same case everywhere. The market in a "developing country" has some strange phenomenon of some who would pay twice more than the regular price in the US because of the hype. Where more than half of the population is in poverty, some are inclined to getting this mid-ranged performing smartphone. Although it has been less than a week that they have introduced free carrier units for a mere $48 monthly plan, same as the S3 and Note 2. Unlocked 16GB iPhone 5 costs US$1200 while the 32GB costs US$1500.

It may be a common easy-to-use smartphone for the masses in first world countries (which is how I really see as the intended design), some here use it as a symbol of being successful, hence the mentality of being better than most people. Can you see the absurdity of it?!

  • Reply
  • 2012-12-18 16:44
  • v0qx

Again, iPhones are not, repeat not, the most expensive on the market. Here in Australia you pay maybe $2 less on a plan every month for a GS3, same price for a GS3 4G and $3 more for a Note II and that's with the cheapest company in Australia.

There is no "prestige" in buying or owning and iPhone, people buy them because they like them and the features offered suit their needs. As I said earlier I spend my days selling handsets and in no way prefer any brand over the other, that decision comes down to my customers. Feel however you like about Apple but don't condescend the people who genuinely like their products by making them out to be pompous.

  • Reply
  • 2012-12-18 12:13
  • vxdh

> In reply to TheNeighbor @ 2012-12-18 11:14 from v0qx - click to readit's hard to let them see it the way we do. what i can't understand is why pay more for features that... do iphones even have beneficial features that android doesn't have? prestige? then buy jewelry or something. these are phones. if you keep buying it, you're telling apple that, "hey you know what? we don't care what you put on this phone as long as you say we'll have prestige. and yeah, charge us more than other brands charge their customers too". (that's for those who keep saying prestige) smoothness of ios? that's the selling point? idiotic.

  • Reply
  • 2012-12-18 12:00
  • 9xBW

> In reply to kirk @ 2012-12-18 11:05 from 9xBW - click to readExactly. Eccentricity with less features, and prepaid SIM. I'm baffled with this phenomenon.

  • Reply
  • 2012-12-18 11:14
  • v0qx

> In reply to TheNeighbor @ 2012-12-15 15:05 from v0qx - click to readPhp 60,000? here in ph? that's 2 months worth of salary for a lot of people here. not a smart buy for pinoys. especially if it gets snatched or stolen from you at gun point. social status is overrated.

  • Reply
  • 2012-12-18 11:05
  • 9xBW

> In reply to Guyman @ 2012-12-17 23:48 from PE8Z - click to readI don't hate Apple'd products. In fact, I'm impressed with their minimalist design. I've just had a go with my colleague's iP5. Looks fantastic. Feels light. I've spent on a Shuffle G2 and I thought 12 hours of continuous music playing was the best for a tiny gizmo. My wife just handed me her iPod Touch and I use it to play music & audio books, and browse the net.

Because of my personal needs to instantly share files with students and colleagues, lecture projection in class, directly download media - I cannot imagine spending on using the restrictive features of Apple's devices, with mono-audio for HD recording. It was designed as a great music player with phone functions. It's an interface to making you buy music, applications and videos - and apparently only plays paid videos or free media sites. I can't even watch stuff I've taken.

For my friend who waited hours at the store, and reserved the iP5 months ago, the excitement was apparent. She slept at 4 am from fiddling with the unit. I've cited the major specs of what she just bought since she's not so familiar other than the fact she has always wanted an iPhone for the longest time. Another friend suggested that I'm probably jealous. Frankly, I wouldn't even barter my HTC Chacha for it. I would have been clamoring to line up for a month US$48 plan to get it for free if I really saw the point of getting one. There is no valid reason for me of EVER getting it. So did more than 70% of the market share.

It's Sony & Nokia who won in this latest of Apple violating of patents, not Samsung. And the shops here are selling the iP5 for $1000 to $1500. A Samsung Galaxy S3 is selling for $560, and the Note 2 at a slightly higher price than the S3.

Because of the open source Android platform, I can even read NTFS files directly from my portable HDD (rooted), fully backup on my apps with data without a PC, multi-windows tasking, fits the pocket and practically outperforms the iP5 without the double price tag. And I'm just using the first Galaxy Note. I can't just go for the smooth UI you're all talking about with your iDevices. This is my personal take. Feel free to get limited features expensive devices at your own expense. I'm getting the Note 2 next month and I think it's worth the money.

  • Reply
  • 2012-12-18 06:23
  • v0qx

I see a lot of Apple hate flying around here guys. iDevices may not be the fastest, most efficient or unique handsets on the market but don't forget that there are people out there who use and love them; I am one of those people, after trying all of the major brands for Android and Windows Phone and I am an iPhone man.

And "The Neighbour" I don't use these products so that everyone thinks 'Hey that guy's well off' because they don't, and nor do I think that about anyone else I see using an iPhone. What I see, and what I can guarantee most nonbiased smartphone users would see, is a person who has found a product that works for them; isn't that the whole point of a smartphone?

I work in a telecommunications shopfront and sell these products every day, I deal with iPhone and android haters alike; find what they want out of their phone and make suggestions to suit their needs. I get paid less to sell an iPhone to someone than any other phone (this decision comes from upper managemnt, not Apple) but that never, ever stops me from suggesting an iPhone to someone that has needs that match what an iPhone can offer them. And yes, I do tell them how expensive an iPhone can be but realistically a Samsung S3 is the same price, sometimes even more expensive, than a 64GB iPhone 5.

The only point I'm trying to make is that if say Samsung had started this patent war against Apple instead of the other way around I would expect that the hate that so many seem to have for Apple would be directed at Samsung instead.

Each of these companies is exactly that, a company. They are all trying to get ahead and unfortunately, for a company as large as Apple, everything they do is highly publicised. Yes there are some things they could have done differently and yes maybe they made some bad decisions but so does every other company out there. Think if their roles were reversed are you sure that you wouldn't be thinking "Yeah, Samsung (or MobileMedia) is getting a taste of their own medicine!" The public love the underdog and what you'll find is that a lot of these companies are publicising themselves as an underdog to draw the attention of the masses and hopefully boost sales or reduce losses. Apple do not play the underdog, they exert their power in the tech world in one of the only ways a company can once they get so big, by putting their finger in every pie and saying "mine!".

Hate away but please consider this from a business perspective as well.

  • Reply
  • 2012-12-17 23:48
  • PE8Z

apple chewed up and spit out ...

  • Reply
  • 2012-12-17 21:16
  • 9LbR

what goes around comes back around..!!!
its good to see that some judges have sense and are not being fooled by the iPatents of iProducts..!! apple badly needed to be reminded that they are not the owners of the world..!!! but i agree that patent system kills innovation..!!! patents should be more detailed and not about rectangles with rounded corners and overscroll bounce back...!!!

  • Reply
  • 2012-12-17 10:43
  • FY45

They got the taste of their own medicine. :)

  • Reply
  • 2012-12-17 09:55
  • xv7a

> In reply to gtp @ 2012-12-16 09:01 from 3Jn} - click to readMedicine meant for curing illness. This is a bitter retaliation from apple's opponents. Hand in hand against the biggest liar in the ICS industry.

  • Reply
  • 2012-12-17 02:57
  • 613q

US Patents need to change... Who would bother to innovate and work in software with these massive lawsuits going around in US?.. One wrong move or mistake and u could lose millions..

Think of the money going into preventing lawsuits .. instead of using those money to improve one's product!

  • Reply
  • 2012-12-17 02:38
  • uREv

> In reply to Anonymous @ 2012-12-16 20:11 from 2IsP - click to readWhen one professes to be a "tech fan", that person most like won't be using an iPhone, which stagnated and stole some more stolen tech from others to survive. I've used most of the major brands, and Apple is not the easiest to use. Yes, I mind having a hard time transferring content. Yes, I mind having to copy-pasting Internet addresses so I can use Chrome since Safari is the only one that is able to pop out extra tabs. Yes, I mind having to plug in since I can't change the battery. Yes, I mind Apple users keep telling others that they're creative, unique and their devices are the best. Yes, I am not foolish enough to part with my hard-earned money for sub-par performing devices just to impress on to others I'm well off.

  • Reply
  • 2012-12-17 00:32
  • v0qx

finally , apple got a taste of their own medicine xD

  • Reply
  • 2012-12-16 21:11
  • LCxd

> In reply to Anonymous @ 2012-12-15 13:08 from IWY} - click to read

ladies and gentlemen, this ifan is fustrated to convince himself that he don't need google maps on his iphone. he downloaded it anyway because ios crappy maps app went pffftt....


  • Reply
  • 2012-12-16 20:14
  • 2IsP

> In reply to Anonymous @ 2012-12-15 13:00 from IWY} - click to read

ladies and gentlemen, this ifan has nothing new to say about IOS except to admint that crApple is stealing ideas from elsewhere...



  • Reply
  • 2012-12-16 20:11
  • 2IsP

Note: Sponsored advertising links are in green.